IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

something like:

If collision(player0, playfield) then player0x = player0x + 1

Will "push" the item out into open space if it appears in the playfield. Would be a good idea to do this to the watermelon code too.

Why don't you just let it appear at the position where the troll was?

That's too easy, the point is to add a little difficulty and strategy. Otherwise it is redundant, you get points for hitting the troll already.

Edited by MausGames

Another solution is to make the item bigger than a pfblock, which is what i've done here. If it's out of reach now, remember that I'm redoing the playfields at the end, and I'll make sure to not have 2 pfblocks be next to each other horizontally and vertically.

jack70.bas.bin

jack70.bas

Now with the freed up space of banks 1 & 2, I can now make level 1 even larger. Right now, it's at 32 screens, which is a nice round number, bB coding speaking. I definitely can't fit 64 screens for level 1, but level 1 is now definitely a lot bigger.

88 bytes left in bank 1 (title screen/level 1)

1,390 bytes left in bank 2 (level 1)

23 bytes left in bank 3 (levels 2 & 4)

5 bytes left in bank 4 (level 3)

1,720 bytes left in bank 5 (ending, game over, giant's room)

1,089 bytes left in bank 6 (minigame)

4,052 bytes left in bank 7 (empty)

1,630 bytes left in bank 8 (inline 6lives_statusbar.asm)

jack71.bas.bin

jack71.bas

I've modified the troll's movements in level 1 a little bit. Once you get the watermelon, the troll will start moving away from you (because he knows you've got a watermelon and you want to hit him with it.) Once you throw it and it doesn't hit him, he'll go back to whatever of the three movements he was doing before you picked it up.

jack72.bas.bin

jack72.bas

This game is awesome! I just downloaded the latest version earlier today and I still cannot beat the last level! I would definitely buy a real copy when it's finished!

The only thing I think would be good to add would be more sound effects. The only one I noticed was Jack dying.

Can't wait to see the finished product, Atari2600land! It already looks (and plays) wonderful. :D

This game is awesome! I just downloaded the latest version earlier today and I still cannot beat the last level! I would definitely buy a real copy when it's finished!

The only thing I think would be good to add would be more sound effects. The only one I noticed was Jack dying.

Can't wait to see the finished product, Atari2600land! It already looks (and plays) wonderful. :D

Thank you for the kind words, and welcome to AtariAge.

I've added bass notes to level 2's music and fixed a bug in the password screen. I'll work on adding some more sound effects, especially in level 1. I'm thinking of putting a sound effect in the following places:

+When a troll gets hit by a watermelon

+Collecting the bonus box (a ding)

Here's the latest version (remember, level 2's password is 28.)

jack74.bas.bin

jack74.bas

I like the new Level 2 music, there's just one note that sounds off key, it's the third to last note of the main melody before it loops.

Also, I finally beat the game! But there was one thing that bothered me about the ending; Jack doesn't cut down the beanstalk! What's he gonna do when the giant comes for him? ;) Also, I think we need a triumphant music cue upon victory.

Besides the tiny music and ending issues mentioned above, I think all this game needs is a few more sound effects!

Here's my idea of the extended ending:

When Jack gets down from the beanstalk, we see a little animation of him chopping with an axe. The beanstalk disappears (it's Atari, I don't think that showing the beanstalk actually fall is feasible). Jack steps back as the giant's feet (from Level 3) fall past, hit the ground, and get replaced with a large "BOOM!" Jack jumps for joy a couple times, and the ending proceeds as usual.

If that's not possible with the memory you have, I understand. I just think that it would provide a lot more satisfaction for the player.

Thanks for listening to my rambling as usual. :)

A giant-falling-down-and-expiring ending would be great. Other short-cut ideas to accomplish this:

- a few moments after "and they lived happily ever after" screen, show the beanstalk an an axe fly out of the house or across the screen and hit it.

- then the beanstalk flashes and disappears

- you hear a descending tone -- like a bomb (well, a giant actually) dropping from the sky

- the screen goes black as you continue to hear the dropping sound wind down, then BOOM! an explosion sound effect (easy to do on Atari)

- return to the 'happily ever after screen'

The new sound effects are great! They add a lot more life to the game. I love watching this game get better and better. It's a fulfilling experience. :D

Remember when you first started playing with the idea, and everyone was unsure if it could be pulled off? Those posts are funny to read now. (No offense intended)

Added some more stuff to the ending. Here's what happens now in chronological order:

+Jack climbs down the beanstalk

+He cuts the beanstalk down with an ax.

+The giant falls down and lands on his head.

Then everything is back to normal.

Added a new password to see the ending without having to play the whole game. It's 33.

jack77.bas.bin

jack77.bas

I added a few sfx in level 1. I can't do any in level 3 (besides the death one) because i only have 5 bytes left in that bank.

You can always jump to subroutines in other banks if you run out of room.

Added some more stuff to the ending. Here's what happens now in chronological order:

+Jack climbs down the beanstalk

+He cuts the beanstalk down with an ax.

+The giant falls down and lands on his head.

Then everything is back to normal.

Added a new password to see the ending without having to play the whole game. It's 33.

That sounds great, but I think you should keep the endings of your games a secret, so they are a reward for playing through. You've done a really great job on this game and I would have rather have not known how it ends until I beat it.

That sounds great, but I think you should keep the endings of your games a secret, so they are a reward for playing through. You've done a really great job on this game and I would have rather have not known how it ends until I beat it.

D'oh! Forgot about the spoiler tags.

I guess if you have space to burn, then there's all sorts of random things that could be added.

Sounds like the main gameplay is doing well.

Here are some things that could be added:

- a "map screen"

- something with selling the cow for beans? (animation, or maybe even a mini game). Or, maybe you need to get the cow that wandered away, and bring it home. Then, it's off to sell the cow, to get the beans to make the beanstalk.

- You could add a stage where you need to run to get the axe to chop down the beanstalk

These aren't things I'm advocating. I'm actually just throwing these out there, since you're looking for ideas. :)

What you could also do, if you're looking to add "fun" factor, is to add mini side quests.

For example, you could have something "hidden" on each level.

Take the troll screens for example.

What if there was a screen where there was something like a "hidden dot" to find?

Or, what if there was a path that went up or down, somewhere in the level, that was either really difficult to get to, or hidden?

And, on that path there were bonus items?

Actually, I like this idea better than the first ones I listed. It allows people to complete the game, but then to have extra longevity for some "other things" to do.

Cave-In has such features, and I think it's neat. And, even Adventure has the dot that's hidden. That adds additional gameplay after beating the game originally.

-John