IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

OK, I'll resume work on this after i take a break. my brain has been burned from almost constant work on this. Thanks for your support, though. I don't have time right now to go into details about my life story, but once in a while, I get so angry sometimes that I just wish i was dead. I got kicked out of the vgmusic.com forum for posting stuff about how i was going to commit suicide.

Read his blog for more info.

i took out all the stuff about how i was going to kill myself. I'm not going to.

Well, now I feel like Sir Jackass Dickhole for thinking it was the scanline count. Dude, I don't know what else is going on in your life, but your game is pretty great. Jealous m'f'ers aside, everyone in creation thinks its great. Maybe that doesn't mean much in the outside world, but isn't that why we go inside?

Regards,

J

Well, now I feel like Sir Jackass Dickhole for thinking it was the scanline count. Dude, I don't know what else is going on in your life, but your game is pretty great. Jealous m'f'ers aside, everyone in creation thinks its great. Maybe that doesn't mean much in the outside world, but isn't that why we go inside?

Regards,

J

Don't worry about it. I sometimes go off on a tangent about how i want to kill myself but eventually i never do it. And some of it is the scanline count. Nothing else is going on in my life. I'm sorry i made you feel bad.

EDIT : read this topic i started for more info.

Edited by atari2600land

Chris,

As for the game It is great as is with giant or no giant in my book.

This is really one I wanna see in the AA Store this year and I am really pretty picky about what games I play and I have been playing the hell outta this one.

So have some tea or perhaps a cigarette, take a breather and don't let us motley mobsters stress you out :)

Wp

I am creating a port of guitar hero for the atari 2600, and was wondering if i could use "Greensleeves" in my guitar hero port. If you don't mind then the song will have to be modified to work with the format i am using for playing music in my game which i have posted here. Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

2600 Hero

I am creating a port of guitar hero for the atari 2600, and was wondering if i could use "Greensleeves" in my guitar hero port. If you don't mind then the song will have to be modified to work with the format i am using for playing music in my game which i have posted here. Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Sure, go right ahead.

Sure, go right ahead.

Great, would you mind porting the song to the format listed in the post i linked to please? If not then please let me know and i'll see if anyone else can.

2600 Hero

Edited by Open Source Pong

Sure, go right ahead.

Great, would you mind porting the song to the format listed in the post i linked to please? If not then please let me know and i'll see if anyone else can.

2600 Hero

I would if i could, but i don't understand the code you're using. I taught myself how to do music with bB myself, and i only know how to do it my way so far.

Sure, go right ahead.

2600 Hero

I would if i could, but i don't understand the code you're using. I taught myself how to do music with bB myself, and i only know how to do it my way so far.

I am using Random Terrains music starter using sread kit. A link can be found on the bottom of page 1 on my thread. Also i posted a linked to my post explaining what all the numbers mean. Please let me know which level plays the song "greensleeve" and if i need to contact someone to port the song.

2600 Hero.

Thank You Very much. I added the song to the game and the next step will be to adding and sync the guitar notes. I have attached a copy of the bin file for reference. Please let me know if the song song correct or wither it needs to be fixed.

2600 Hero

2600Hero.bas.bin

Thank You Very much. I added the song to the game and the next step will be to adding and sync the guitar notes. I have attached a copy of the bin file for reference. Please let me know if the song song correct or wither it needs to be fixed.

2600 Hero

It needs to be fixed a little. I'll work on it.

I couldn't help myself. I worked a little bit on the game. Changes in this version:

level 1:

The game chooses a different troll movement pattern once you complete a screen. #1 is the standard "troll on caffeine" random movement, #2 is the one where he follows you, and a new #3 one is like the Boo ghosts in Super Mario World (if you look at them, they don't move, otherwise they go towards you.

level 3:

Added a new "sleeping dog" programming. The dog starts out asleep, but when you get close to him, he wakes up and starts moving around. The sleeping dog here is represented by a square because I need a sprite of a dog that's laying down. I have no more variables left in level 3! Because of this, the door closes almost instantly instead of pfblock by pfblock.

jack42.bas.bin

jack42.bas

Fixed a whole bunch of stuff, mostly bugs in level 3. The bonus timer now works again, the goose and the harp don't move any more. I also made the score color green so you can see it at the title screen if you reset or complete the game, and I have it reset every time you start a new game. I also added an ending song, but I don't like it very much so i may change it.

jack43.bas.bin

jack43.bas

Fixed a whole bunch of stuff, mostly bugs in level 3. The bonus timer now works again, the goose and the harp don't move any more. I also made the score color green so you can see it at the title screen if you reset or complete the game, and I have it reset every time you start a new game. I also added an ending song, but I don't like it very much so i may change it.

Very nice!!

Hello!

Good to see work on this again. :)

Would you be able to post the list of all working passwords?

I got to score 1398 on level 1, and that was it. Not sure how much more I had to go before I hit the next level.

So, I thought I'd use a password, but then I realized that the initial passwords are all spread out in this thread.

Could they be gathered together?

-John

Ok, here's some things I noticed:

- when you have "infifinite lives" on, it doesn't work on the giant's footsteps screen in the castle.

- If you die on the giant's feet screen in the castle, there will be a green missle displayed on the opening screen that looks out of place

And, here's a fun suggestion.

- The climbing up of the beanstalk is pretty easy, in my opinion. But, there's something "neat" I see. If you miss a jump, you go down to the lower screen. So, some levels could be made up of strategy between multiple screens. For example, let's say you something like this:

|ooo+---+

|ooo|ooo|

====== (screen division)

|ooo|ooo|

+---+ooo|

oooooooo|

oooooooo|

oooooooo|

oooooooo|

|, -, + = vine, o = space.

Excuse my poor ascii art.

If you wanted to add to its complexity, you could add a missile line that's impenetrable to cross (collisions send you back).

This would allow you to do some really cool stuff that could be frustratingly fun.

|oMo+---+

|oMo|ooo|

====== (screen division)

|ooo| oMo|

|ooo| oMo|

|ooo| oMo|

|ooo| oMo|

|ooo| oMo|

====== (screen division)

|ooo| oMo|

+---+ooo|

oooooooo|

oooooooo|

oooooooo|

oooooooo|

oooooooo|

|, -, + = vine, o = space, M = missile.

Just an idea; not sure how implementable it is. This could make some jumps get *really* frustrating, tho :)

Keep it up!

-John

Edited by Propane13