IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

New version (I know, the second one today. I have nothing else to do, so...)

Changes:

+Level 2: Added the bird swooping down (or up, if the case) to try to get you. I also added two new screens at the end so now there's 32 screens instead of 30.

+Level 3: Fixed everything about the giant's room, both in and after (i think.) You can no longer keep going into the giants' room and kill him multiple times.

By the way, I forgot password "99" which is a shortcut to the giant's room; and the music at the end is gone.

jack44.bas.bin

jack44.bas

I tried the Jack44 version last night for a while. Comments:

1. I like the level 1 trolls having 3 types of movement which seems randomly chosen each screen. Sometimes I couldn't finish a screen in time because I couldn't outwit the troll to get through a passage - but I feel that's okay, not suggesting that you change it. I wouldn't want the game too easy.

2. swooping birds - this is what the climbing-beanstalk level needed. I also noticed the one screen where you must fall out of it while pressing left to grab the beanstalk on the lower screen, which was nice. I didn't get to try going back down though but hope it works that way too, with the reverse gravity.

3. I died in the castle level. I didn't know what to do in the Giant screen and he kept killing me as I experimented. Some of the music in this level gets a bit out of key, doesn't it? Maybe the 2600 can't hit all the notes ? My opinion is the music should be a bit quieter.

I tried the Jack44 version last night for a while. Comments:

3. I died in the castle level. I didn't know what to do in the Giant screen and he kept killing me as I experimented. Some of the music in this level gets a bit out of key, doesn't it? Maybe the 2600 can't hit all the notes ? My opinion is the music should be a bit quieter.

What you're supposed to do in the giant's room is shoot his feet by pressing fire. Shoot them 6 times and he goes away for good. You get 10 points for each successful shot. (and you get 100 bonus points.) I'll see if i can change the key the music is playing.

How is this for an ending song?

I like it!

I also played the latest version a bit and i like the changes you made. The different movement types for the trolls and the swooping birds are a nice addition and prevent the game from being too easy. :thumbsup:

I didn't get far in level 3, the sleeping dogs look good. I noticed that the player-color in level 3 is different than in level 1, is that intentional?

All in all it's nice to see the game getting better with every new build. Keep up the good work! :)

Tried the latest version. The sleeping dogs look great. THe music in the castle seems less out of key - did you change it? It sounded much better to me for some reason.

JatB is now hard enough, I believe. 2 games (one option #1, one #2) and I got the Game OVer screen both times. If I were a bit more careful I'd have done better.

Just started playing this and haven't got past the village yet. But I took a look at the first post and I think that it would be kinda cool to have to fight the giant at the end. Kinda like in the movie "The true story of Jack and the beanstalk" where the giant follows Jack down the beanstalk and is ultimately killed by Jacks mother.

Just don't forget that you can still access the missiles using ENAM0 = 2 and ENAM1 = 2. If you don't have any use for that, then keep in mind that you still have:

aux1, aux2, aux6, missile0x, missile0y, missile0height, missile1x, missile1y, and missile1height to use as general purpose variables in your game. You'll have to double check though to see which of those, if any, are re-purposed for player colors.

Just started playing this and haven't got past the village yet. But I took a look at the first post and I think that it would be kinda cool to have to fight the giant at the end. Kinda like in the movie "The true story of Jack and the beanstalk" where the giant follows Jack down the beanstalk and is ultimately killed by Jacks mother.

You can fight the giant in his castle (level 3), provided you find him. It's not mandatory, but if you defeat him, you get 160 bonus points (10 for each shot to the feet and 100 for finishing him off.)

You can fight the giant in his castle (level 3), provided you find him. It's not mandatory, but if you defeat him, you get 160 bonus points (10 for each shot to the feet and 100 for finishing him off.)

oh, like I said I haven't made it that far yet :) Was just throwing out an idea :) great work so far!!! :thumbsup:

Would it be possible to add at least one additional type of enemy to level one, and maybe a few obstacles or bonus items? Maybe to add some more strategy to that level, you could make it possible to use the slingshot, but require the player to collect ammo for it. Since there is a time limit, I think this would work really well. If knocking out an enemy caused some sort of bonus item to appear randomly somewhere on the left half the of the screen, then the player would have to learn how to quickly travel forward and backward through the screens to collect ammo and items.

Would it be possible to add at least one additional type of enemy to level one, and maybe a few obstacles or bonus items? Maybe to add some more strategy to that level, you could make it possible to use the slingshot, but require the player to collect ammo for it. Since there is a time limit, I think this would work really well. If knocking out an enemy caused some sort of bonus item to appear randomly somewhere on the left half the of the screen, then the player would have to learn how to quickly travel forward and backward through the screens to collect ammo and items.

I wanted to add an enemy movement type, but i couldn't think of one. Also, having an item to use would make the troll flicker between it and the item, like how the giant leg's flicker in his room. I'll do it, but the ammo would have to be green because it'd be the ball.

If the item didn't appear unless the player shot the troll, then you wouldn't have use flicker. It could disappear, run off the screen, or melt, something like that. It would give the player an incentive to hunt the troll and collect ammo; they don't always block the players path.

Edited by MausGames

Here's a version where a green thing randomly appears (grenade, perhaps) in each screen in level 1. You throw it in a straight line. You only get one per screen, and can't have more than one at the same time, so aim well. It's still kind of buggy, but I think I might be able to fix it.

jack48.bas.bin

jack48.bas

New version.

+ Made the grenade-like thing a little bigger. You can now throw it diagonally, too, but only when you're pressing the joystick diagonally.

+ Changed the way the grenade-thing is randomly generated. Some levels will not have one due to it being covered by the playfield, but I think this won't happen much.

+ Changed screen 18 of level 1 to make it a little harder.

+ If you hit a troll with a grenade, you get 100 points and the troll goes away until you get to the next screen.

+ When you die in the castle, the dog goes all the way to the end of the screen.

+ If you play the game starting at level 1 and get to level 3, you now have 6 lives instead of dying the first time you hit a dog.

jack49.bas.bin

jack49.bas

Sorry to post two consecutive changes in less than 2 hours, but I just got IMO a brilliant idea about how to handle firing the thing.

Changed the way you shoot. Now, you press fire & the direction you want the thing to go simultaneously. If you just press fire all by itself, nothing happens.

EDIT: oops, uploaded the wrong version. version 50a is the correct one.

jack50a.bas.bin

jack50a.bas

Edited by atari2600land

It's not a grenade - it's a watermelon!

HAW HAW HAW! What fun, chucking watermelons at trolls!

Edit - I'm not really being sarcastic. It looks like a watermelon, and fits the theme of a poor Jack, beanstalks, and beans more than a "grenade" would. Just thought I'd expound a bit since its easy to misunderstand on a forum.

In fact, rather than shooting the Giant, how about lobbing square blocky food at his feet, like a mini-level of Food Fight? Others can chime if they disagree. Seriously it doesn't matter, what is there is good.

Edited by Cafeman