IGNORED

Planet Bob - Playing 1942 (NES)

RSS Bot

Hi there!

So after half a dozen C64 titles in a row, I finally play 1942 on the NES again:

1942.gif

I wonder if this mother of generic vertical scrolling shmups was eventually considered groundbreaking back in its day in the arcade? :twisted:

There's almost nothing regarding gameplay. Shoot anything that moves. Well, there's two power ups, that are a bigger shot and satellite planes, but that's it already. In the end you're just shooting some 10.000 planes of a handfull of different types, that do nothing but their standard attack scheme, for no less than 32 stages.

It seems the most innovative thought went into the stages counter, since it is counting backwards from 32 to 1. I guess kids were dying to know just what happens in the last stage back then :lol:

What is particular annoying in the NES version is that constant morse beeping that serves as a kind of background "music". After a while it's driving you up the wall...

Well, since the NES version is also very easy, I made it already halfway through it, so hopefully I'll end this self-torturing experience by beating the other 16 stages tomorrow :lolblue:

Oh, I forgot telling you about the "boss" plane every 8 stages: Well there is one. :D

Greetings,

Manuel

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=4374