IGNORED

Alien Greed II WIP **Completed**

neotokeo2001

Just thought I'd post this as a possible new change for the game. I used the superchip option and increased the resolution of the playfield, adjusting the game maps and title screen to reflect that change. I didn't make any gamplay changes.

Steve

Very cool looking! I really like that title screen. I don't know what the problems are with the superchip option but I will check into them. At this stage we are getting close to wrapping up the game. Here are some of the additions/improvements that are needed. Those marked in red I really want to have before the game is released.

Possible Improvements:

Remove extra zeros in score (ex. 00010)

Change Background screen to Black (Completed)

Alternating playfield colors (Completed)

Add more mazes

Add additional barrier to cart collecting screen (Completed)

Improve Boss screen gameplay(Completed)

Short Title screen tune. Possibly eight note ET theme alternating with UFO flyby. See first eight note in ET Atari game.

Way to select speed of game as "level" while in the title screen

Additional enemy/enemies to avoid on gathering and maze screens?

Reduce the size a little here and there to make more room for maps, etc.

A game-over screen

Added your name to the cartridge list.

Cartridge List

No reserves are being offered yet. The following are complimentary copies given to

people who helped with the development of the game. Want one for free too? All you

have to do is help out. icon_mrgreen.gif

01- Neotokeo2001

02- atari2600land

03- Atariboy2600

04- gambler172

05- ?

06- Nukey Shay

07- Atarius Maximus

08- batari

09- Impaler_26

10- MausGames

AtariBoy2600 has been working on the original art for the label. Here is a sneak peek of the rough.

post-3832-1202574458_thumb.png

Edited by neotokeo2001

I think maybe I'll take a shot at this, I need to scrub my brain of all the ignorant and crazy crap I've been watching on youtube lately. This project has already surpassed my skills though, so I'm not sure how much good I can do.

Any suggestions on what I should try to add/improve? From the list posted, I know I'll at least try to add more enemies with unique AI.

Here are some screen shots from the latest version:

TitleScreen.gif

IT HAS BEGUN

The Title Screen has the UFO Fly-by and then plays the E.T. tune.

CartLevel4.gif

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING

This is the Level 4 cartridge collecting screen. You can see all the barriers displayed and also the Super Bee which appears after you beat the first Boss Level.

MazeLevel3.gif

HOUSTON. WE HAD A PROBLEM

The UFO has been reduced in size due to some problems controlling the larger version with a joystick.

BossLevel.gif

IT'S ALIVE!

Man, He looks upset! The mutated Atari Charles is trying to protect his Atari Collection from the Alien Collector. Try to avoid the onslaught of Atari Charles as you search through his carts in search of the E.T. Prototype.

There isn't a lot of room left to add much more. I really want to keep this at 8k. There is always Alien Greed III.

If you'd like, I'll see if I can optimize the code a little. But before I do this, I should probably have the latest version (the one on the first post seems to be about a month old?)

Right now there are six mazes. If some free space can be made to add more then we will. You can always post any mazes that you have. Even if we can't add more they might replace an existing maze.

I made a few mazes but i need to know the current size of the ufo before i can make some more...

Having the latest version of the source code would also help... :)

*** NEW VERSION *** Thanks Batari

Alien_Greed_II_WIP_BA.bin

With this new version there is now plenty of room for additional mazes. Now we need some mazes to fill them with. A few people have already submitted some new maze ideas and some of those will be put into the game. We need simple and intermediate mazes. Gambler172 posted a nice template that you can use for your maze ideas.

Maze Template:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...st&id=96348

Anyone that has a maze design used in the final game will get credit in the game manual. Depending on the contribution made, You may also get a free copy of the finished game.

Edited by neotokeo2001

Gambler172 posted a nice template that you can use for your maze ideas.

Maze Template:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...st&id=96185

This Maze Template is too big, it's 15 lines high. In bB the playfield can only be 11 lines high (if you use the Standard Kernel without the Superchip...).

I attached another template in the right format for all those who want to make mazes.

Two things you have to consider:

- The Starting-Point of the Ufo (S) is always the same in the lower left corner.

- The Exit can either be to the east or to the north.

maze_template.txt

Edited by Impaler_26

Why aren't you using the full horizontal resolution? You aren't using all of PF2 (making everything off-center) and you could be using PF0 for the left and right walls - so there are at least 5 columns of playfield wasted. The "maze" part of the game couldn't be less fun. It's like a stripped down Gosub. The boss is more like a big randomly moving wall, not sure I get the point.

I tried to add an enemy to the maze code, but I couldn't come up with anything that worked well. I still think it needs one though, without anything else going on it's too repetitive and not enough of a challenge. Same with the boss - maybe it should have a weapon?

I tried to add an enemy to the maze code, but I couldn't come up with anything that worked well. I still think it needs one though, without anything else going on it's too repetitive and not enough of a challenge. Same with the boss - maybe it should have a weapon?

A few of the play testers have mentioned that it is difficult to navigate the maze with an Atari joystick. If somehow an enemy can be added the the mazes can be opened up.

I was happy getting the additional cartridges and the boss movement. If you can work out a way to improve the Boss level that would be great.