IGNORED

Forum Updated - Please "Mark all posts as read"

Albert

I just updated the forum with a new version of the software. The update contains just bug fixes (and quite a few of them), including one that supposedly makes the "View New Posts" feature work more reliably. However, you'll want to "Mark all posts as read" once in order to reset your post markers. You can follow this link to do so:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...gin&CODE=05

You can also find this link on the main page, near the bottom (above the "Board Statistics" box).

Please post here if you continue to see odd behavior with the new post markers after you've done this.

As a reminder, you can always use the "Today's Active Topics" link on the front page to see all active topics within the last 24 hours:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;CODE=getactive

Thanks,

..Al

Thanks Al.

No problem. Wish there was a way I could prevent this from happening as often as it does (it is, by far, the most common question I see on the forum!) This seems to happen sometimes when people enter AtariAge through Google search results, and it appears, sometimes seems to be a cookie issue.

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Al,

It seems like the post markers are generally working better, but when I view "My Posts" the threads are always marked as read even if there are new unread posts.

I've tried clicking on "Mark All Posts As Read" as well as clearing cookies for the Forum, but My Posts markers still aren't updating properly.

Al,

It seems like the post markers are generally working better, but when I view "My Posts" the threads are always marked as read even if there are new unread posts.

I've tried clicking on "Mark All Posts As Read" as well as clearing cookies for the Forum, but My Posts markers still aren't updating properly.

Hmmm, that's a feature I added to the forum a while back. I'll have to see if I can fix that.

..Al

Al,

Hmmm, that's a feature I added to the forum a while back. I'll have to see if I can fix that.

..Al

"My Posts" seems to be updating properly now, Al. Now if you can only figure out why I'm still not receiving PM notices... :ponder: I decided to check the default box for e-mail to see if that will make any difference. I've been posting so infrequently lately that I shouldn't get too many notices.

It seems to work properly most of the time, then goof up like it did before whatever fix you did. Like if I post in a thread, and come back later to "View my post" sometimes although I am the last post and I viewed my post it will show as orange (unread). It did this today as a matter of fact. The thread was ... the one about the Kangaroo coin-op... i posted last in it, it had more views and showed orange.

Yep, it's messing up again. New posts over the weekend are not showing orange in My Posts. :(

I filed a bug regarding problems with the "View New Posts" feature, but Invision didn't even comment on it. This perturbs me quite a bit, since keeping track of what messages and threads you've already read should be one of the most critical functions of forum software. That Invision cannot get this critical functionality working consistently and that they don't seem to care too much about it really tweaks me.

I wrote the "My Posts" query (it is not built into the software), so I may be able to fix that. But if it's relying on some underlying Invision functionality that's broken in the same way that the "View New Posts" feature is broken, it's unlikely I can do anything about it.

If vBulletin had a nice Gallery and Blog module, I would consider switching. There was a time when Invision was moving pretty quickly with new versions and improvements, but these days they are pretty glacial. Even the new phpBB 3.0 looks pretty appealing. While it would be a huge amount of work, moving over to vBulletin with a more professional Gallery module and real blogging software (like Wordpress or something) integrated into the site would be fantastic.. :)

..Al

• 1 month later...
When I click on a topic, only the first post shows, and then there is a list of links to all of the other posts. Can I somehow change my personal settings so I see all the posts instead of a list of them?

While viewing a topic, click on the orange "Options" button and then select "Switch to: Standard". This will return you to the normal topic view.

..Al

When I click on a topic, only the first post shows, and then there is a list of links to all of the other posts. Can I somehow change my personal settings so I see all the posts instead of a list of them?

While viewing a topic, click on the orange "Options" button and then select "Switch to: Standard". This will return you to the normal topic view.

..Al

Thank you so much, the other view mode was just too inconvenient.

• 1 year later...

I can not find a way to Mark all posts as read since the upgrade. I can only find the "(Mark this forum as read)" in each section. Can anyone help me out?

Ooops, never mind. I finally found it in the small grey print at the very bottom in the copyright line. :dunce:

Edited by Dr Galaga

Ooops, never mind. I finally found it in the small grey print at the very bottom in the copyright line. :dunce:

I'm not sure why the heck they buried it all the way at the bottom of the page, except that I think they wanted it to be included on every page, and that was a convenient, out-of-the-way place for it.

..Al

I'm not sure why the heck they buried it all the way at the bottom of the page, except that I think they wanted it to be included on every page, and that was a convenient, out-of-the-way place for it.

..Al

never noticed that! I just tried it while in the blogs as the blogs don't seem to consistently flag themselves as read. It didn't update any of the blogs as read, but did so for the rest of the forums :(

never noticed that! I just tried it while in the blogs as the blogs don't seem to consistently flag themselves as read. It didn't update any of the blogs as read, but did so for the rest of the forums :(

Looks like this is a known bug, back from June, yet it hasn't been fixed yet. :(

http://forums.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-15815-entrycomment-read-markers-off/

I just added a comment.

..Al

I posted a long message about some of the Blog issues here:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/291502-very-unhappy-with-ip-blog-2-0/page__p__1847815entry1847815

They admit there are issues and that they plan on making many improvements, but I don't think it's going to happen very quickly. It's possible they may soon focus on the Blog, now that they are passed the hurdle of getting IP.Board 3.0 released (as well as their new "Community Content System" 1.0 two weeks ago), but I'm going to assume it's going to be a while.

..Al