IGNORED

Atari 800 Monitor

Sean39

I have an SMD CM13L which looks nearly identical to the amdek color-I shown here. I always thought it went well with the XL series since its a bit lighter than the 800. It has the same RCA-for-video, 3.5mm-for-audio cord that was mentioned earlier, so this may have been a rebranded model or just a knockoff.

If I may advertise my housecleaning, its available cheap to anyone local. I also have a brown goldstar monitor and 2 dot matrix printers that are free locally. PM me if theres any interest.

• 9 months later...

I used to own a 1702 in the late 90's I used with my Atari and all my game systems, it worked very good. Today I use a 1084, which is the true "super 1702," that name was given to earlier about another monitor. Atari's 14" ST RGB monitor SC1435 is actually the same as the 1084 in a different case, both are made by Philips, unfortunately the Atari ST monitor has only RGB outputs.

But I also have a second composite only monitor, and it's actually an APPLE II monitor. I used to use it with my 800 when I had it. Of course both my monitors have had badges and insignias replaced with Atari branded ones.

Thomson was another great monitor and Taxan model 220, both had composite and seperate chroma/lumina inputs.

post-149-0-44296200-1330203111_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-30847100-1330203135_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-55525100-1330203185_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-22511400-1330203211_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

As mentioned previously, the Amdek color monitor was the choice back in the day and was a great monitor with deep colors. I still have the one I bought in the 1980's and it still works greats and looks good with the Atari 800.

I mostly use a 130XE these days and have a Commodore 1702 monitor hooked to it. A very nice combination and very good monitor.

Think however that the colors are still better on the Amdek monitor even though.

Nice Taxan advertisement! I found Taxan was mentioned in Nov '83 of Antic as well - http://www.atarimaga...icpixgifts.html

Its funny that "green screen" was $279 and "amber" was only $189 - I always thought the amber monochrome was easier on the eyes...

I totally agree. Amber looks better and is easier on the eyes. If I had to use a monochrome monitor. The Taxan and Thomson models (color) in those ads match the XE line extremely well with their grey colors, the thomson even looks like an ST monitor. But both companies had earlier models in colors that better match the 800 and XL lines too. I just couldn't find the older ads off-hand.

As mentioned previously, the Amdek color monitor was the choice back in the day and was a great monitor with deep colors. I still have the one I bought in the 1980's and it still works greats and looks good with the Atari 800.

I mostly use a 130XE these days and have a Commodore 1702 monitor hooked to it. A very nice combination and very good monitor.

Think however that the colors are still better on the Amdek monitor even though.

The Amdek certainly does look nice, I vaguely remember using one on an Apple at school years ago too. It would certainly match my XL system even better than the Commodore 1084 I use now. Too bad it doesn't have chroma/lumina inputs though, those out weigh looks any day. I think my Apple composite monitor goes better with my system, but I won't settle for composite when I can have S-video quality, especially with my video upgrade on my 1200XL. I'm going to paint my 1084 monitor to match my XL anyway.

Edited by Gunstar

Wow thanks guys. It looks like I posted this back in 2008 according to the first post. Wow people are still responding to this.

Anyways I have a Commodore 1702 monitor now,but that 1084 sounds really great. There was alot of other great monitors mention also.

There was a JVC monitor mention also that sounded really good.

I would like to find an Amdek Color I monitor just for the Fact it really looks like it goes well with the Atari 800 computer.

I have an atai 130XE and seen those monitors on the front of the Magazines. WOW it was sure a great Match.

I think it was a XC14N monitor correct me if I am wrong.

That is a really great looking monitor for the 130XE

• 4 years later...

I have found the Sony PVM-14 monitors made in the late 90's/early 00's are ideal for this. All of them have composite video (BNC) and S-Video. The higher-end ones have RGB as well. I'm using a PVM-14L1 for my Atari 1200XL (S-video modded) and an Atari 2600 Jr (composite video modded), and a PVM-14M5 for my Commodore 64C.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-14L1-14-CRT-Trinitron-Color-Video-Television-Monitor-600TVL-/112034847366?hash=item1a15cc1a86:g:CzEAAOSwmtJXahPE

Edited by nethermind