IGNORED

JAGUAR HSC SPECIAL - BUBSY - "Most Balls" Scoreboard

doctorclu

2,027,476_AtarDi

90 Balls / 10,345_RoadRunner

J64-HSC1 Bubsy: Who has the most balls contest

(previously named "Balls of Furry")

.......1) Anyone who partipates (first time) gets a point

.......2) Anyone who can beat an existing ball score gets a point.

Bubsy In: Fractured Furry Tales

...this game is unique to the Jaguar, and while Bubsy has games on the Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Gameboy, Playstation, and the "PC", this Jaguar title is unique to the Jaguar.

This contest is a scavenger hunt, and will not conflict with Bubsy should we ever decide to do a contest based on score. All you need to do is go through any of the 15 levels of Bubsy and find as many balls as you can find in that level. Report it back here, preferrrably with a picture, and get one point for participation. (And me being a big Bubsy fan will have fun trying to beat your ball score.) :D

-Using a code to jump directly to a level is alright.

-Emulation is fine.

-Any controller can be used.

Level 1: Password 111111

801 Balls.  (Robert R)

Level 2: Password 392652

903 balls. (Robert R)

Level 3: Password 458227

729 balls. (Robert R)

Level 4: Password 958936

456 balls. (Robert R)

Level 5: Password 739294

652 balls. (Robert R)

Level 6: Password 184792

1,309 balls.  (DoctorClu)

Level 7: Password 812615

509 balls. (Robert R)

Level 8: Password 781367

718 balls. (Robert R)

Level 9: Password 126712

791 balls. (Robert R)

Level 10: Password 236721

1,095 balls. (Robert R)

Level 11: Password 673167

1,315 balls. (Robert R)

Level 12: Password 792323

1,332 balls. (Robert R)

Level 13: Password 672328

1,168 balls. (Robert R)

Level 14: Password 782389

721 balls. (Robert R)

Level 15: Password 672345

893 balls. (Robert R)

Helpful Hints: Take your time, use all the lives on that one level if you have to, and don't be afraid if you run out of time. Concentrate on one level only.

Balls seem to only bring one ball worth. However, the red flashing balls can bring on average a 50 balls worth, and the crates with the "!" on them also bring a high ball worth. Those are key to this.

---------

Previously titled "JAGUAR HSC SPECIAL - BUBSY - Robert R_Most Balls - AtarDi_2,027,476", changed on Apr 29, 2023

Edited by doctorclu
Updating record ball count.

787 balls for level 1

891 balls for level 2

625 balls for level 3

404 balls for level 4

486 balls for level 5

975 balls for level 6

413 balls for level 7

469 balls for level 8

619 balls for level 9

post-4709-1202059204_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1202175122_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1202175158_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1202175190_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1202175292_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1202175338_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1202175371_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1202175460_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1202175478_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

• 2 weeks later...

J64-HSC1 Bubsy: Balls of Furry

.......1) Anyone who partipates (first time) gets a point

.......2) Anyone who can beat an existing ball score gets a point.

Effective today. :D

Level 10-829 balls

Level 11-957 balls

Level 12-1,061 balls

Level 12 suprised me. Not only is that the first time to see over 1K balls on Bubsy, but I beat that insipid Lobster on the first go. I hate the 10,000 Leages Under the Sea Levels on this Bubsy game, or I should say they are or at least were my least favorite.

Anyway, for anyone trying to beat these ball scores you'll be happy to know there were a lot of balls left over as I was flying through trying to complete these levels. Btw the way, if you manage to get a picture of you ball count, even if you don't complete the level, you STILL GET CREDIT. :D

post-4709-1203273530_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1203273552_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1203273571_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone wants to beat the speedrun challenge, I have it currently at 46 minutes (all 15 levels, all bosses.) I am not sure I can beat that score, but I would shake the hand of the person that did. :D (And ask for tips on how to improve my game).

Just showing the fun you can have as the Bubster...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
a true bubsy score .

hsc bubsy : 2 027 476

Impressive! I accept the thrown down gauntlet. :) So to do this right, you got that picking up every last item in the game, no continue tricks right? Mind you I respect continue tricks, but that would make things a lot easier.

While I'm tackling the high score, why not take a crack at the ball scavenger hunt challenge. :)

Oh and I should post the Bubsy TIME CHALLENGE as well. See if you all can beat these times. (This is the time that shown at the end of the level)

Level 1 ----8:27

Level 2 ----8:41

Level 3 ----8:23

Level 4 ----8:32

Level 5 ----7:45

Level 6 ----7:52

Level 7 ----8:54

Level 8 ----7:25

Level 9 ----7:12

Level 10 ---7:16

Level 11 ---7:11

Level 12 ---5:59

Level 13 ---9:01

Level 14 ---8:38

Level 15 ---6:51

• 3 weeks later...

I posted my last message two weeks ago to accept the challenge of AtariDi to beat his score in a manner in which he made that score. Was it a respawn trick or did he manage to make it simply collecting every last item in the game?

No response.

So I will now work to beat that score. Thanks for posting the challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

With the Virtual Jaguar out now for the Mac (2.0.2), I find that the GPU needs to be enabled for every change of screen from the chapter screen to the game screen. You won't hear Bubsy's comment or see the game screen again until GPU is enabled up to the appearance of the game screen. On the game screen, leaving the GPU enabled slows the play down to about half speed, as well as the music, which then sounds choppy. Turning the GPU off once the game screen is up lets me play at full speed, with full speed and smoothness to the background music. And oh yes, there is one other time you need to turn the GPU on - when you get to the bosses. Again, the GPU only needs to be enabled just long enough until the boss appears, then can be turned off again to resume normal speed. Of course it can get a bit tedious selecting the preferences to turn the GPU on, then off again every time you lose a life, as well as at the start of each chapter. I'm sure I'll like the version that splits the GPU to its own thread and enables it only as necessary much better when we get it. In the mean time, the game is playable, if with a bit of inconvenience.

A really nice feature is to be able to set the keys to the controls, and pick some sturdy keys for movement, jumping and gliding, since those keys will be used heavily, and I know from experience how some keys can get worn out from heavy use. There are also no freeze/defrost states yet, though there is a pause state. So if it takes a long time to play through a game, that's how one can stop playing the game for a while and resume later. You just don't exit the emulator or let auto-logout occur between when you pause and resume. (I think auto-logout gets cancelled by VJ not quitting on auto-logout anyway.) On the plus side, you know all scores from VJ are obtained without backtracking.

I think you'll also find that the balls obtained for levels 3, 9, and 15 are the maximum possible, given there's no big ball at the end to hit full speed for bonus balls. I passed up one ball on 6 because of where it leads in favor of many more balls. There's also a 50-ball target on level 12 which I have never been able to get, but it appears you somehow have to bounce off an attacking shark, and an eel, to get high enough to have a chance at getting. So 1382 may be possible on level 12.

Edited by Robert R
  • Like 1

Robert R, you seem to be an accomplished Bubsy player so I have a question for you. On I believe level 6, where you fight the giant, there is a series of cloud platforms you can jump to off of one of the tall tower parts. Have you ever explored those platforms? I have tried before but I have never been all the way through them. I figured it might be doable on an emulator.

I've tried to explore the little cloud platforms on level 6, but have not been able to get far in them. I have also noticed that there are some little cloud platforms next to the lower walls of an area that I have only gotten to by entering one of the doors and scooping up the extra life shirts and big balls o' fun in the area. It may just be a red herring for all I know. It seems that you may have to leap and glide to one side of those platforms, then glide back and land on the edge with some speed to be able to jump to another of those cloud platforms. That does appear to be a very tricky thing to do, and it's one miss, and down you go to the castles. Like I said, not even I have gotten far into those. Nor have I found any hidden cloud platforms in the area. I can see the possibility of an emulator with save states being used to explore that area thoroughly, where if you miss a jump, you just reload the saved state and try again. Virtual Jaguar doesn't have that yet, though.

Edited by Robert R