IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 23 *Atari 5200 vs Atari 7800*

Atari5200

Well anyway, I wanted to earn all the points I could on the 7800 side to keep from completely squashing them, but I think with the 7800 Joust's pansy lava troll the best I can do is 190K. And I had it with their lava troll. He is not a team player. :P So I feel justified to go full steam here at last.

Yes, this 5200 version of Joust plays just like the 8-bit version that I earned 1 million on expert, but the challenge here is getting used to the 5200 controller solutions. Luckily a Wico stick is not so bad, but not the CX-10 joystick I am second nature with. My first REAL go... 398,450.

post-4709-1203914282_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

I thought it was going to be Ms. Pac-Man. :?

We were going to start it after this is over.

Yeah, I said Ms. PacMan because Joust is already mostly done with. However, an extended Joust challenge sometime later this year would also be good, as it would likely be on the same number of platforms (although NES Joust is horrible).

Now all that's left is to ask them all for a challenge!

post-5952-1203935448.jpg

Edited by Atarifever

I'm good to go. We will just need to coordinate a set of rules and figure out how the scoring is going to be.

And Ms. Pac-man should be the next game sincewe just did joust and Ms. Pac-man is the only other game I can think of on all the systems.

Asteroids on the 8-BIT HSC and now Ms. Pac-Man. (Shudders). Ok. Got my copy of Ms. Pac-Man ordered.

I'm good to go. We will just need to coordinate a set of rules and figure out how the scoring is going to be.

And Ms. Pac-man should be the next game sincewe just did joust and Ms. Pac-man is the only other game I can think of on all the systems.

Okay, I think just combined score isn't the most effective. Like I said before, it should be average or something. Also, I think it's necessary to have teams agree in advance so no one avoids putting in a bad score once they find out they aren't very good (like me for example). Personally, I'll need to know if Ms. PacMan from the 7800 PacMan Collection is regulation, as that's what I'd want to use (I don't have it on its own).

Also, is anyone good with ASCII art (or whatever it's called) and can make a little trophy set for the winning team to put in their signatures (technically, that's not a graphic)? It could be contested every year or something if there were a good turnout.

Okay, I think just combined score isn't the most effective. Like I said before, it should be average or something. Also, I think it's necessary to have teams agree in advance so no one avoids putting in a bad score once they find out they aren't very good (like me for example). Personally, I'll need to know if Ms. PacMan from the 7800 PacMan Collection is regulation, as that's what I'd want to use (I don't have it on its own).

Also, is anyone good with ASCII art (or whatever it's called) and can make a little trophy set for the winning team to put in their signatures (technically, that's not a graphic)? It could be contested every year or something if there were a good turnout.

I disagree on the average. We WANT people to join in, add WHATEVER they can to the overal score. I don't want anyone playing Joust that can only contribute 20,000 when I can contribute 500,000 to think they are any less worthy. So I like the combined score. This is not about heroes but about TEAMS. :D

ASCII art eh?

Check these out...

http://www.ascii-art.de/ascii/pqr/pacman.txt

I disagree on the average. We WANT people to join in, add WHATEVER they can to the overal score. I don't want anyone playing Joust that can only contribute 20,000 when I can contribute 500,000 to think they are any less worthy. So I like the combined score. This is not about heroes but about TEAMS. :D

But the problem now is if you have, say, one good player and 20 weaker ones, you could pretty easily beat a team that had five players who were all pretty good. That doesn't mean the average contributor to the bigger team is better, just that they have more people. If we go with just combined score, the 2600 group will likely win no matter what, just because there are so many of them.

For example, 10 scores of 10000 is 100,000 points for the 2600 group, with people to spare (keeping in mind that even casual players on Atariage who don't normally play the HSC are likely to have a 2600 and Ms. PacMan and could give it a whirl for this). To get ten scores from the 7800, Lynx, or 5200 club would basically take everyone interested in playing on either system.

Edited by Atarifever

Again, I would not want to do something that would discredit ANY contribution. If the the 2600 group beats us if nothing else due to shear numbers, so be it.

Besides like I've seen in the Joust competition, there is more factors than just number of players. Sometimes the versions of the game just don't add up. So all and all, this is just meant to be fun.

Again, I would not want to do something that would discredit ANY contribution. If the the 2600 group beats us if nothing else due to shear numbers, so be it.

Besides like I've seen in the Joust competition, there is more factors than just number of players. Sometimes the versions of the game just don't add up. So all and all, this is just meant to be fun.

But averages don't discredit individual scores. If you got 3 80s and a 90 in school, the 90 isn't discredited by the 80s; it still contributes to your average. Meanwhile, if the guy across from you got 100 tests and got 1% on each and you wrote one test and got an 80% it does make your test seem less important if the teacher announces the guy across from you got 100% and outdid you by 20.

I suck at Joust, and I'm playing through an emulator w/ keyboard controls. So if this were an average I would not have entered because I KNOW my score will bring down the rest. I'm really just in it for fun, though, so maybe if the number of 5200 entries is screwing things up we could take the top 5 scores from each system? That way everyone can have fun and post scores, without worrying about "bringing down the team."

i still think it should be total combined, if you have the top 5 or 10, then you are going to have people just stop trying because they'll never be in the top, with total combined, everybody's score counts. This is for fun, not for blood.

I prefer combined to top 5. With the top five some people's scores really wouldn't count, which is not fair to them. I'm not a big fan of the combined score, but at least that's an aggregate score. If that's the only way everyone is comfortable combining scores, then we should do that rather than leave people out. (I still say average just makes more sense as it is a meaningful combined score. That's the Psych degrees talking though :))

with average score you'd have people like me that would sabatoge other scores with crappy ass scores. :P

Exactly. I would not contribute a score unless I could BEAT the average.

What if instead of having a fixed cutoff of say, 5 or 10, there was an arbitrary cutoff based on the console that had the fewest participants? For example, if the 7800 had only 8 people contribute scores and that was the fewest among the consoles, the cutoff would be 8.

I know this is just for fun, but it kind of takes the fun out of it if the 2600 is the predetermined winner.

with average score you'd have people like me that would sabatoge other scores with crappy ass scores. :P

Exactly. I would not contribute a score unless I could BEAT the average.

What if instead of having a fixed cutoff of say, 5 or 10, there was an arbitrary cutoff based on the console that had the fewest participants? For example, if the 7800 had only 8 people contribute scores and that was the fewest among the consoles, the cutoff would be 8.

I know this is just for fun, but it kind of takes the fun out of it if the 2600 is the predetermined winner.

Now that one I like. That is pretty much perfect. You can contribute all month, hoping more people will join if you're in a bigger club, but with no risk of weighing it down if they don't. Meanwhile, if, say, the 7800 club only has 7 members and is the cutoff, then adding another score, even a low one, might end up helping your team (especially if position 8 in another club is a pretty weak score). I'd go for this one for sure.

Current score 411,250

Well, I guess that clears up the controversy* over which is the easier version. You got something like 250,000 points more on the 5200 version. That's a lot of Lava Troll help. Are you sure that version doesn't have the Balloon Fight fish? You know, from that Nintendo game? For children? ;)

*As seen in my imagination

Is there much of a difference between the 5200 version and the A8? I have the A8 cart and was playing it this morning and it sure seemed better than the 5200 version on Atari800Mac... but that could be because I really don't like playing console games on emulators. Controlling w/ the classic Atari joystick is a lot more fun than the numeric keypad.

Also, as I've stated I suck at Joust, but I killed my first-ever Pterodactyl this morning - and it was on my first attempt. Pretty good gaming moment!

Oh, and Balloon Fight rocks!

Current score 411,250

Well, I guess that clears up the controversy* over which is the easier version. You got something like 250,000 points more on the 5200 version. That's a lot of Lava Troll help. Are you sure that version doesn't have the Balloon Fight fish? You know, from that Nintendo game? For children? ;)

*As seen in my imagination

LOL! You know at least on the 5200 version the Troll can PULL me into the lava.

As I mentioned, I have played 7800 Joust on the regular level to expert and have YET to see a bird pulled into the lava.

That 7800 Troll is sleeping on the job man...