IGNORED

Planet Bob - Playing Escape from Singe's Castle (C64)

RSS Bot

Hi there!

Here comes an "impossible" conversion, Dragon's Lair - Escape from Singe's Castle on the C64:

singes_castle.gif

Well, no need to panic. Albeit there's no way to really port a laserdisk game onto a single sided C64 disk, this version is widely known as the only playable game at all from the Dragon's Lair / Space Ace series of games ;)

First thing you'll notice is the incredible music - another masterpiece from Rob Hubbard.

Now, how did they port this game to the C64? Well, they were slicing it into small pieces, creating a handfull of playable scenes - mini-games if you want to - pretty much like Aztek Challenge. Better looking than that of course and from what I've seen so far also slightly complexer.

The first scene saw Dirk Daring rowing a boat down a river, carefully maneuvering the correct route on some screens and avoiding whirlpools on others.

The second scene (s. screenshot above) is a bit hassle at the castle. You're trying to grab a sword and a pot of gold in a labyrinth of doors and halways, being chased by your adversary and rats.

Third comes a Space Harrier-esque scene, where you're riding down a halway, avoiding all obstacles. A funny bug happened there: When I lost a live suddenly all obstacles disappeared for the second try, so I just had to wait to make it through :ponder::D

The fourth scene currently, is a single room with lots of traps. Fires will break out, spiders will attack and you're in the middle, jumping around and killing things.

I'll take a break here now, trying to finish it tomorrow.

Greetings,

Manuel

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=4507