IGNORED

Store Review - Play N Trade Walpole

I'm sure most people know about them, but if you don't it's a good place to hit for all sorts of gaming needs. Play N Trade is a national change and it's only local location is in the Walpole Mall off Route 1. Good amount of "classic" commons for the 2600 and Intellivision from $2-$5 each. A little on the high side, but you can find some good deals and fill in some holes in your collection. They also have a handful of Odyssey, TI/99 and other older items.

For the NES, Genesis, SNES generation, they have items from 99 cents and up. If you're looking for older sports game, most of them are 99 cents to about 3 or 4 bucks. They have a decent selection for all 3 systems (a lot for Genesis, including 32x and CD) and if you hunt for the cheap games definitely worth a trip. I was down there yesterday and spent 13.60 (after tax) for 3 Genesis games (Sonic, Super Monaco II and Virtua Racing) and 2 N64 games (Mickey's Speedway and In the Zone '98). Compared to E-Bay shipping fees, a much better deal than I'd get there!

BU

Also, if anyone has a Genesis 32x or Genesis CD they're trying to get rid of for cheap (cheap being the opportune word), send me a PM!

I'm sure most people know about them, but if you don't it's a good place to hit for all sorts of gaming needs. Play N Trade is a national change and it's only local location is in the Walpole Mall off Route 1. Good amount of "classic" commons for the 2600 and Intellivision from $2-$5 each. A little on the high side, but you can find some good deals and fill in some holes in your collection. They also have a handful of Odyssey, TI/99 and other older items.

For the NES, Genesis, SNES generation, they have items from 99 cents and up. If you're looking for older sports game, most of them are 99 cents to about 3 or 4 bucks. They have a decent selection for all 3 systems (a lot for Genesis, including 32x and CD) and if you hunt for the cheap games definitely worth a trip. I was down there yesterday and spent 13.60 (after tax) for 3 Genesis games (Sonic, Super Monaco II and Virtua Racing) and 2 N64 games (Mickey's Speedway and In the Zone '98). Compared to E-Bay shipping fees, a much better deal than I'd get there!

BU

Also, if anyone has a Genesis 32x or Genesis CD they're trying to get rid of for cheap (cheap being the opportune word), send me a PM!

They had a ton of 5200 carts ... until I bought them all :D

• 3 weeks later...
It's times like this I wish the Walpole Mall were accessible by MBTA!

There really hasn't been much there since then though. Don't feel so bad.

There is another place I found in Framingham on Rt9. I bought out all the 5200 carts he had and a few decent 2600 ones including a Supercharger for $2.

The only thing I need now is the correct power adapter for the 5200 and I'll be in business.

BU

Sounds great! Wish we had one here in Columbus Ohio

There is another place I found in Framingham on Rt9. I bought out all the 5200 carts he had and a few decent 2600 ones including a Supercharger for $2.

That Supercharger used to be mine. When they were first opening, I unloaded several boxes of classic to semi-current stuff there for (literally) hundreds of dollars of store credit, as they were trying to build a stock and gave fantastic trades. Trade values are still good there, but a little tighter. Highly recommend the place - dude's a buddy of mine.

There's a PnT here, but the selection sucks, and they ask high prices for everything classic. Last I checked, they had a SNES with one controller and power supply for $69. NES controllers for $15, games starting at $4 and went all the way to $59 (the most expensive being a N64 game). I was shocked and reviewed them in another thread.

Glad they have good deals in your area though!

Nathan

• 4 weeks later...

I checked out PNT yesterday while I was down that way and found a few common 2600 carts that I didn't have yet, but not much else. Their NES selection was pretty sparse.

I also checked out a few of the other places listed in the "Hot Spots" section. I couldn't find the Video Game Exchange in Malden, Phase 4 in Cambridge or Worldwide Video Games in South Weymouth, so I am assuming these places all closed down. I did check out the store in Salem a little over a week ago and did not really like to guys behind the counter. There were a ton of 2600 carts and some very overpriced NES carts there. Not really interested in giving my $ to those folks though. Based on alot of the comments left here, I have been debating about checking out the Revere stores, but I simply hate driving around revere, so have not gone so far. Thanks to those who posted the places in this area that sell used classic games. Even though I haven't had much luck yet, it is cool "hunting" around.

Worldwide Video games in South Weymouth has been closed for a while. You can still sometimes find that guy at the Raynham Flea Market. He had a decent selection of 2600 games, but raised the price from $2 to $5. I know that is still cheap, but most were commons only worth $1. That place was always good for a Pitfall II. Almost every time I went there, I picked up another one.

I checked out PNT yesterday while I was down that way and found a few common 2600 carts that I didn't have yet, but not much else. Their NES selection was pretty sparse.

PNT seems to have lots of Genesis/SNES, but not as much NES, although I was able to find some of the Sesame Street games for my daughter. The Raynham flea has the S. Weymouth guy (who has been gone at least 2.5 years) and the store on Rte. 28 in Middleboro. The Middleboro store has a ton of stuff, but the prices are on the high side.

BU

PNT seems to have lots of Genesis/SNES, but not as much NES, although I was able to find some of the Sesame Street games for my daughter. The Raynham flea has the S. Weymouth guy (who has been gone at least 2.5 years) and the store on Rte. 28 in Middleboro. The Middleboro store has a ton of stuff, but the prices are on the high side.

BU

Don't waste your time with the Weymouth guy, he was trying to tell me that Gyromite was "ULTRA RARE!!!!" And he's a jerk besides. But there is a new guy across the way (at the Raynham Flea) from him that has a TON of atari (and other) games and better prices than the Weymouth guy, too

You can occasionally get a good deal at the Middleboro store. For example, they had Dusty Diamonds Softball for the NES for $8, but they seem to think Zelda for the NES is worth $29!

The middleboro store has tons of games becasue, the prices are wasy to high, their policies suck and that lady is a snotty douchebag.

She was nice to my daughter, gave her a scarf that she was knitting... although I'll definitely agree with the high prices. Don't even asking the prices on most of the stuff, just know it's high. I've rummaged their discount bins (the stuff they bring to the flea on Sundays), but unless you have to have something NOW, you can find a better deal online.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump for a cool old thread... :cool:

I've done pretty well at Play N Trade since I discovered it last year. I've gotten a bunch of Colecovision and 2600 games there, and their Genesis selection is pretty big. I've snagged a few good deals on some hard to find games there, especially for the NES. They had a bunch of older black label games there, including Wild Gunman, Popeye, and Pro Wrestling, and they were between $.99 and $1.99. I also picked up Intelligent Qube for the PS1 out of the $1.50 binder in the front of the store! :)

The guy from Worldwide Video Games has no idea what he is doing. That's prtobably why he's at an outdoor booth at the Rayhnam Flea Market now. When he was in Weymouth, a friend of mine and I used to go in there and get crazy deals on games, just because he had no clue what things were worth. I picked up Einhander for PS1 complete and mint for $12.99, and my friend scored Dragon Force for the Saturn complete for $20. Meanwhile he had SMB1 in a hard case going for $20. :roll: I went to his booth about a month ago, and wanted to sell me Startropics, Tecmo Bowl for the SNES, and some Genesis game I can't remember for $60!!! Needless to say, I walked away. There is another guy outside who's got rare games every once in a while, and there is a booth right in the middle of the indoor part that has good deals on NES stuff, and you can haggle with them a little.

I also had some good luck at the Trader's Market stores in Brockton. They really don't have a clue what games are worth, and their prices are cheap on the older stuff.

Sorry for a long first post. :D

I headed up north to the NH Flea markets including the "pink elephant" one and found a few things there. The second one we went to (can't remember the location now to save my life, sw of the pink elephant is all I remember) had more games. There was one lady who had tons of games but wouldn't budge on anything. She had a 32x adaper for the Genesis that she wanted $15 for. When I asked her if she would take $10, she said "No, I am still waiting for the cords from Sega for that" ???? Since when does the 32x need cords? I am missing something. :ponder: Anway, I spent about $25 over the course of the day. Picked up a few games I needed, but nothing too rare. There was a guy at the second market that had a box of intellivision games with boxes and inserts (boxes mostly were hacked up) all for $2 a pop. I got a few, but currently don't have a good intelli list together in my head of what I need. May head back there in a few weeks.

Dane

There was one lady who had tons of games but wouldn't budge on anything. She had a 32x adaper for the Genesis that she wanted $15 for. When I asked her if she would take $10, she said "No, I am still waiting for the cords from Sega for that" ???? Since when does the 32x need cords? I am missing something. :ponder:
The 32X has its own power supply and an AV cord that connects to the Genesis. The power supply is easy to find, but you shouldn't pay anything at all for a 32X without the AV cord.

Bump for a cool old thread... :cool:

I've done pretty well at Play N Trade since I discovered it last year. I've gotten a bunch of Colecovision and 2600 games there, and their Genesis selection is pretty big. I've snagged a few good deals on some hard to find games there, especially for the NES. They had a bunch of older black label games there, including Wild Gunman, Popeye, and Pro Wrestling, and they were between $.99 and $1.99. I also picked up Intelligent Qube for the PS1 out of the $1.50 binder in the front of the store! :)

The guy from Worldwide Video Games has no idea what he is doing. That's prtobably why he's at an outdoor booth at the Rayhnam Flea Market now. When he was in Weymouth, a friend of mine and I used to go in there and get crazy deals on games, just because he had no clue what things were worth. I picked up Einhander for PS1 complete and mint for $12.99, and my friend scored Dragon Force for the Saturn complete for $20. Meanwhile he had SMB1 in a hard case going for $20. :roll: I went to his booth about a month ago, and wanted to sell me Startropics, Tecmo Bowl for the SNES, and some Genesis game I can't remember for $60!!! Needless to say, I walked away. There is another guy outside who's got rare games every once in a while, and there is a booth right in the middle of the indoor part that has good deals on NES stuff, and you can haggle with them a little.

I also had some good luck at the Trader's Market stores in Brockton. They really don't have a clue what games are worth, and their prices are cheap on the older stuff.

Sorry for a long first post. :D

Those nes black box games aren't worth more than maybe 2 bucks each. But you're right about that weymouth guy. He tried to convince me that Mortal Kombat for the Genesis was worth $20 because it sells for "big bucks" online. But another time, he sold me a factory sealed rex ronan for the SNES for $10!

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know where this store went? I was there one night a couple weeks ago and the place was mostly empty. They had several people behind the counter who had no interest in customers. I was eventually able to get from them that it was their last night at that location and were moving to a new location. The problem is that they were so disinterested in dealing with a customer that they were not able to tell me where they were going. Great customer service, lemme tell ya. Now I can't seem to figure out where they went. The corporate website has not changed regarding their info.

The only reason I really care is that I have a lot of credit there I'd rather use than forfeit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...