devwebcl 0 3  
krupkaj 0 1  
Bunsen 0 1  
pseudografx 0 1  
Hornpipe2 0 1  
a8isa1 0 1  
pseudografx 0 1  
Edited by Goochman

Well just to make sure I don't accidently miss the close window..

Seems the version available here on AtariAge and AtarMania has certain "issues" on the second round of play when you exceed 20,000 points. At least on my xbox emu. Have not tried it on the PC. Plus on all emu's the hyperspace just does not seem to function (it uses shields). It does the same thing with flip and none. :lol:

I have an old version from my old BBS that seems to work fine though.

post-3211-1204551518_thumb.png

Edited by Shannon

Talk about a 1/2 hearted effort - I would imagine any college intern learning PM graphics on the 8bit couldve whipped this out. Shots are whacky, saucers are a bit random - asteroids are chunky in movement......typical old skool atari release :(

My friend and I used to play this in co-op for hours. A great team game. And then get this working on a 400/800 with four players... even better! :D

But then whenever you add people no matter how sucky the game it was always fun.

I'll see if I can get a score on this soon.

Ok, as customary when someone is doing well in this, I will share the wealth of what's been learned.

Sure the ship fires as straight as Stormtrooper's Rifle :jango: but the way this version of Asteriods is coded is really user friendly. As it is mentioned before, after the fourth wave of asteriods the game doesn't get much harder, though the aliens fly in a little closer it seems.

Hyperspace is your friend. I went from playing this on a 2600 and then the 800, and when I got to the 800 I went straight to shields because I thought Hypderspace was a suicide move. On the 2600 it is, since you blip out and come right back in. Not so on the 800 version. You blip out, and then time passes as the game waits for a nice spot for you to come back in. Apparently as the 800 is a upgrade in hardware to the 2600, so are the ships upgraded from one version to the other. :cool:

So use Hyperspace for guirilla tactics... fire at as much as you can, warp out, hit some more till they get too close, warp out, ect.

I never realized the 800 version of Asteriods acted like this until I was forced to play these last two weeks with Hyperspace as the choice. Amazing.

Good luck all as you fly with this new bit of mission knowledge.

post-4709-1204878295_thumb.jpg

115,370 (Posted at 10:52 CST, should be 11:52 EST)

You have no idea how difficult it was to get that score. :)

But not game reasons. :D

Thanks for the good competition as always Fandal!

post-4709-1204909057_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

So no @#$& there I was (that is how stories begin in Amtgard, a live-action fantasy role play club I'm in) I post my score at 1 CST this morning of 106K, and only five hours later I get up for work, and I see Fandal's score of 108K.

Luckily we had an ice day over here in Dallas where I work, so I try to get a score before leaving for work, but being rushed I only get 75K.

So I rush to work, arrive early, and plug up a game system at work. Work starts, I pause for a little bit, knock out crucial work, talk to my bosses, and then get "back to work" trying to make another high score before noon EST. So I play and play... I was rolling into 100K at 11:45 EST, and down to one life and I'm saying "Man, hang in there, hang in there!"

At 11:52 I manage to beat the score I give, originally posting a score of 113K. I play for another minute or so more, and at 11:57 EST I finally die with the score you see there.

Now the game system is packed away, mission accomplished. Fandal, as always, made this competition tons of fun, and a memory I will not soon forget. ;)