IGNORED

Good Dreamcast games?

BassGuitari

Hey everyone! My g/f brought home a Sega Dreamcast from Goodwill last night (with one controller, a VMD or whatever it's called, some 3d-party memory card, and Sega Bass Fishing), and now we need some games for it.

What are some games you guys would recommend? I know House of The Dead 2 and Dynamite Cop are amazing, and I loved Resident Evil 2 and Nightmare Creatures 2 on the PS1.

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by BassGuitari

I like Alien Front Online for some mindless alien killing. :D

Also second the recommendation for Crazy Taxi and the NFL/NBA 2Kx series. Steer clear, very clear, of MLB 2K1 :|

Others...

Virtua Tennis rocks. Tony Hawk and Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX are very good also.

Thanks for the recommendations, people. :)

I understand the DC has a substantial import scene. Is that worth investigating?

Also, what you do you folks think about Shenmue? I've heard it's amazing, and I've heard it's really boring.

What kind of games you generaly like?

Shooters? (Although online play is pretty much dead)

Unreal Tournament

Quake 3 Arena

House of the Dead 2 (need a gun, but it's great)

Puzzles?

Mr Driller

Wetrix

Driving?

Demolition Racer (AWESOME GAME!)

Crazy Taxi 1 and 2

Daytona USA

Hydro Thunder

Cart Racers?

Looney Toons Space Race

Wacky Races

Sports?

Virtual Tennis

This is just scratching the surface, the DC has a LOT of great games. :D

BassGuitari: DC imports are worth checking out, particularly if you like shooters. I just picked up Under Defeat about 2 weeks ago. They will set you back quite a bit though... Border Down cost me like $60.00, equal to what my 2 DC consoles cost me :(

Also, there is a pretty active emulator scene for the DC...

OK, some of my favorite DC games:

Cannon Spike

StarLancer (space combat)

Gauntlet Legends

Coaster Works

Zero Gunner 2 (import shooter)

grandia 2 is one of my favorite rpgs ever--and don't dare play it on ps2, it's ugly.

SF Rush 2049 is also really good. Unlike the arcade, it has a lot of replay value.

Capcom Vs SNK 2. or Mark of the Wolves. Two of the best fighting games ever.

Ikaruga and giga wing 2. Bullets...

Airforce Delta and starlancer are your flying type games.

soul calibur should be on everybody's list.

crazy taxi and jet grind radio have that unique to dreamcast feel.

sega gt was good.

propeller arena (don't think it was ever released, but it's around)

I'd better stop myself right there.

I don't think I have a DC game I don't like.

First off, these games require the right controllers:

House of the Dead 2

Death Crimson OX

Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

Sega Bass Fishing

The rest of my list:

Flag to Flag

Hydro Thunder

Crazy Taxi

The best gun I have is the StarFire Light Blaster from Interact. I also have a Pelican Stinger, which (unlike the StarFire) has a built in Jump Pack. Both have a single VMU slot, but the StarFire's rapid fire is much quicker. Stay away from the Sega gun--it won't work with House of the Dead 2 or Confidential Mission. Silent Scope does work with one particular gun, but not the others. I forget the name of the gun it works with, but I know it's not the Sega one or either of the ones I have (we tried it with the Stinger already).

Aside from those, all of my hardware is the official Sega hardware. I've got a number of VMU's and Jump Packs, plus two controllers.

I'd pick up a Nexus Memory card for up and downloading game saves from your computer. There is also a program that hacks the Sega VMU to have 20% more space for game saves.

Lots of great stuff already mentioned, but here's my short list:

Phantasy Star Online - I actually played it as much offline as on. Super addictive and fun.

Shenmue 1 & 2 - I enjoyed both games, but 2 is definitely better. Not for everyone, but if you like adventure games, and don't mind a generally relaxing pace, it's fun.

Mars Matrix - the only "bullet swarm" shooter I ever really likd, due to the system of unlockables that kept me coming back.

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 - pure arcade goodness. Fun all around

Looney Tunes Space Race - surprisingly fun arcade racer. They really did a great job with it. My in-laws who don't normally play games had a blast with this (and Crazy Taxi).

Virtua Tennis - awesome tennis game. Easy to pick up, super replayable.

Sega Bass Fishing/Sega Marine Fishing - more great arcade-style fishing games. Fun and well done.

Skies of Arcadia - one of my favorite RPGs, good, epic story, fun ship-to-ship combat, lots of optional side-missions.

Capcom vs. SNK 2 - one of the best fighters of all time. Super tight, tons of characters, perfect gameplay.

You really need to check out Resident Evil: Code Veronica. That's my favorite RE game after Resident Evil 4 of course. Plus the Dreamcast version is still be best version even it's missing the extras of the PS2 and Gamecube ports. Other great DC games that haven't been mentioned yet are:

Sega Sports Tennis (aka Virtua Tennis 2)

Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 & 2 (the best version of the games outside of the arcade)

Street FIghter III 3rd Strike (same deal as the MvC games)

Airforce Delta (Ace Combat style game)

Properly Arena (major fun, but it was never officially released)

soul calibur should be on everybody's list.

Soul Calibur was the reason I bought a Dreamcast. I was on the fence in regards to buying a Sega console...Then I played Soul Calibur at the demo kiosk in Toys R Us. Didn't take long to scrounge up the $$ after that.

I've seen Atari 30th for the DC and I've thought about grabbing it.

It's pretty good although Gravitar is pretty much unplayable due to the screen zoom. Even if you zoom all the way in, everything is really tiny on screen. I guess if you sat 1 ft away from the screen it would be playable. I got it for $5 a couple of years ago, the rest of the games on it are well done.

One of my favorite games of all time is Shadowman.

Very creepy game.

I thought I was the only one. That game has stuck in my head more than anything else on that system. I cant get over how long and deep it was, the scope of it is amazing. Its enough to make me want to replay the whole thing. The hook handed pig men in the Asylum scared me for real.

Hey everyone! My g/f brought home a Sega Dreamcast from Goodwill last night (with one controller, a VMD or whatever it's called, some 3d-party memory card, and Sega Bass Fishing), and now we need some games for it.

What are some games you guys would recommend? I know House of The Dead 2 and Dynamite Cop are amazing, and I loved Resident Evil 2 and Nightmare Creatures 2 on the PS1.

Thanks in advance! :)

sonic shuffle, wacky races, and sega GT

Thank you all for your replies! Lots of good stuff.

I've got:

-House of the Dead 2 (but the disc is partially cracked and won't work properly. :( ) and a gun controller

-Dynamite Cop

-Quake III Arena

-Vigilante 8: Second Offense

-Jet Grind Radio

-Airforce Delta

-Crazy Taxi

-Iron Aces

-Sonic Shuffle

-Sonic Adventure 2

-Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1

My brother actually has some Web Browser software for Dreamcast. Any idea if that's still useable?