IGNORED

Good Dreamcast games?

BassGuitari

• 1 month later...

I seen where you can use a Raspberry Pi as a broad band adapter. Save you a couple hundred or so bucks. Something I'll try on my 3B whenever I get a 4. I'll have to pop open my box of games and list my games. 

Here we go;

Phantasy Star Online v1 and V2

Sword of the Berserk

Jet Grind Radio

CrazyTaxi

Soul Calibur

Power Stone

Street Fighter 3 Double Impact & 3rd Strike

Rush 2049

Sega Smash Pack

Half Life/Blue Shift(CD-R)

I should have got it, but I passed on a copy of Street Fighter Alpha 3 years ago. I had the PS version, so I didn't think I needed it.? One wish would be to add bumpers up top with the triggers on the controllers. That was another reason I passed on SFA 3. Kind of felt like I was SNES'ing it with the top buttons. I also played Quake 3 Arena a lot. There was a way you could crossplay with the PC peeps. I think it was a good system overall, kind of innovative, imo, when it came to the online play.

Edited by SiberianSpForces
  • Like 1

speaking about Driving simulation , i recommend Ferrari F355 challenge.

there is another game that even if at start i didn't like it  , after passing more time on it , i finally love it , it is Spirit of Speed 1937.

Few other game for Dreamcast i love :

Soul Calibur

Dead or Alive

Stunt Gp

Shenmue  1 & 2(but can get boring sometimes)

Skie of arcadia! (my favorite RPG)

House of Dead 2      (with the light Gun! )

Confidential Mission (with the light Gun! )

Virtua Cop 2            (with the light Gun! )

Jet Set Radio

Snk vs Capcom

PowerStone  (when you play with 3 friends!..so much fun)

San Francisco Rush 2049

Super Round about : san francisco edition

#edit : and of course, how i could have forget that ones :  

Crazy Taxi (i bought the dreamcast for that game!)

Edited by youki
  • Like 1

I have a cool feeling when I look at the Dreamcast graphics (or any other platform of that era, but the Dreamcast was the first console and theoretically the less powerful system).

I will never consider the Dreamcast and those other machines "retro". The cool feeling I have is that I still find the graphics impressive and the thing is, this was the last generation where I played "current" games and, to be honest, I only bought a PS2 and didn't play too many games compared to other systems.

I played this generation roughly from 2002 to 2006, but video games were not my main priority during this era (they were during the 2 previous generations with MS-DOS and PS1). I didn't feel them so intensely, even if some games (Ico, SotC, Katamari Damacy, GTA3, San Andreas) were pretty impressive.

So every time I see the screenshots and the videos I still get that "wow, textures without pixelation!" feeling, and somehow I prefer to look at the graphics from this era or the PS1 era rather than looking at current video games because I like what they were trying to do with those 3D environments, where interactivity was the key element and realism did not get in the way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2020 at 1:49 AM, youki said:

Shenmue  1 & 2(but can get boring sometimes)

How dare you!!! Shopping at a Tomato convenience store is a life-altering experience. :P

Wait -- why is this question even being asked? The Dreamcast has bad games? Nothing will ever replace my burning love of the Lynx, but this is close. I mean, Typing of the Dead...Seaman...Jet Grind Radio...D2 (northern Canada represent!)...Crazy Taxi...mind blown.

Many of the good games were on other consoles similar or better not long after it was discontinued so this really depends on whether you have those other systems or not.

Of course MVC2 is best on the Dreamcast controller opinion put aside. 

Canon Spike is a lot of fun

Only way for the longest time to play the first to Street Fighter 3's.

Original Code Veronica.

Unique version of Alone in the Dark New Nightmare, different from the PSX version.

Metropolis Street racer

Experimental fighting games: Heavy Metal Geometrix, Plasma Sword, Psychic Force 2012, Virtual On 2.

There were quite a lot of great dreamcast titles.  IMHO it’s still the best console to play Sega’s arcade titles and a few 3rd party games are awesome too

Dreamcast Titles that are just flat out great:

Ikaruga

Virtua Tennis 1 & 2

NFL 2K2

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2

NBA 2K

San Francisco Rush 2049

Resident Evil Code Veronica

Soul Calibur

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2

Jet Grind Radio

Ferrari F355 Challenge

Metropolis Street Racer

V-Rally 2

Re-Volt

Test Drive LeMans

Sega Rally 2

Daytona USA 2001

Sega GT (what can I say? I love racing games and Dreamcast had plenty of them!)

18 Wheeler (see?)

Virtua Fighter 3tb

Sword of the Beserk

Shenmu 1 and 2

Dynamite Cop

Hydro Thunder

Tony Hawk 2

Grandia 2

Skies of Arcadia

Ready to Rumble 1 & 2

Samba de Amigo

Speed Devil (sue me, I love it!)

Dead or Alive (or was it #2?)

Cannon Spike

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Space Channel #5

Power Stone 1 & 2

Typing of the Dead

House of the Dead 2

Chu Chu Rocket

NFL Blitz 2000

Demolition Racer

There are also multitude of excellent 2D fighters that deserve to be mentioned too like Marvel vs Capcom, SFIII 3rd strike, etc.  And I don’t recall ever trying Spirit of Speed 1937 so guess what I gotta do now?

Anyway this is mostly just at the top of my head with a small google assist.  I’m forgetting some titles.

Blue Stinger was a good game but I’d say a really good launch game.  Seriously pound for pound, the Dreamcast library may not be extensive but it represents an era that is gone for good, the days of arcade conversions that were not seen as a “casual b title”.  Soul Calibur is still my favorite fighting game (not that I’m the biggest fan of the genre, but that’s probably why I love it so much).

In an alternate universe, EA supported the Dreamcast and the Dreamcast was not Sega’s last console.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 10:22 AM, Loafer said:

There were quite a lot of great dreamcast titles.  IMHO it’s still the best console to play Sega’s arcade titles and a few 3rd party games are awesome too

Dreamcast Titles that are just flat out great:

Ikaruga

Virtua Tennis 1 & 2

NFL 2K2

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2

NBA 2K

San Francisco Rush 2049

Soul Calibur

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2

Jet Grind Radio

Ferrari F355 Challenge

Metropolis Street Racer

V-Rally 2

Re-Volt

Test Drive LeMans

Sega Rally 2

Daytona USA 2001

18 Wheeler (see?)

Virtua Fighter 3tb

Sword of the Beserk

Shenmu 1 and 2

Dynamite Cop

Hydro Thunder

Tony Hawk 2

Grandia 2

Skies of Arcadia

Ready to Rumble 1 & 2

Samba de Amigo

Cannon Spike

Space Channel #5

Power Stone 1 & 2

Typing of the Dead

House of the Dead 2

Chu Chu Rocket

NFL Blitz 2000

Demolition Racer

There are also multitude of excellent 2D fighters that deserve to be mentioned too like Marvel vs Capcom, SFIII 3rd strike, etc.  And I don’t recall ever trying Spirit of Speed 1937 so guess what I gotta do now?

Anyway this is mostly just at the top of my head with a small google assist.  I’m forgetting some titles.

Blue Stinger was a good game but I’d say a really good launch game.  Seriously pound for pound, the Dreamcast library may not be extensive but it represents an era that is gone for good, the days of arcade conversions that were not seen as a “casual b title”.  Soul Calibur is still my favorite fighting game (not that I’m the biggest fan of the genre, but that’s probably why I love it so much).

In an alternate universe, EA supported the Dreamcast and the Dreamcast was not Sega’s last console.

i had fun with Speed Devils back in the day. no law suit pending 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
There were quite a lot of great dreamcast titles.  IMHO it’s still the best console to play Sega’s arcade titles and a few 3rd party games are awesome too   Dreamcast Titles that are just flat out great:

Ikaruga

Virtua Tennis 1 & 2

NFL 2K2

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2

NBA 2K

San Francisco Rush 2049

Soul Calibur

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2

Jet Grind Radio

Ferrari F355 Challenge

Metropolis Street Racer

V-Rally 2

Re-Volt

Test Drive LeMans

Sega Rally 2

Daytona USA 2001

18 Wheeler (see?)

Virtua Fighter 3tb

Sword of the Beserk

Shenmu 1 and 2

Dynamite Cop

Hydro Thunder

Tony Hawk 2

Grandia 2

Skies of Arcadia

Ready to Rumble 1 & 2

Samba de Amigo

Cannon Spike

Space Channel #5

Power Stone 1 & 2

Typing of the Dead

House of the Dead 2

Chu Chu Rocket

NFL Blitz 2000

Demolition Racer

I owned a Dreamcast for a long time. My favorites were some that you mentioned.

Typing of the Dead

Loved typing of the Dead I even had it set up with 2 keyboards for a while. It’s how my daughter learned to type.

Dynamite Cop

My sons all time favorite beatem up, especially the co-op mode.

Gauntlet Legends

My 4 kids would play this together all the time. It kept them entertained for hours. I used to play it in the arcade all the time with a group of friends. Wonderful 4 player game.

Jet Grind Radio

I used to Rollerblade all over town and this game really hit the spot graphically and gameplay wise for me. A wonderful single player game that’s still a lot of fun.

Cannon Spike

I love playing this game co-op. Hard as nails but a lot of fun. The targeting is a bit tricky to get used to.

Soul Calibur

This is still my favorite game in the series. I purchased an Arcade stick just for this game. I had two of the OEM arcade sticks hooked up for this game. I love that you can put your VMU in them. I also think this is the best looking dreamcast game, especially with a VGA adapter hooked up to a nice LCD.

Street Fighter Alpha 3

This is still my all time favorite fighting game on any system. It controls so wonderfully and is just the right amount of hard. I really miss playing this game.

Project Justice

This is a pretty good fighting game that has a very Japanese arcade feel.

Quake 3 Arena

Mouse and Keyboard support on a console, nuff said.

Mars Matrix

A very expensive game that lives up to its price. Well back when it was $75, not sure nowadays. It’s still my favorite shmup of all time.

Rez

Oh Rez, what can I say this is a spectacular game that still lives on today on the PS4. What an amazing game. So unique and so much fun to shoot to the beat.

Looney toons Space Race

A very unique art style that still holds up today. The controls aren’t perfect but it’s still a very fun game.

The Dreamcast will always hold a special place in my families gaming memories and in my gaming heart. We sold it a few years ago. I might have to track one down again someday.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 4:09 PM, phoboz said:

Propeller arena, and half-life.

I don't know if these were officially released, but they were made available in the later days when the Dreamcast was still officially supported.

Nope, but Propeller is a nice, complete game.  Half-Life is not entirely complete but it's really a chore with a single analog.

Honestly, DC is a great system but has IMO one of the worst controllers ever made.  I'm a big racing gamer, and the controls on almost every racing/driving game are terrible.  Save for the full arcade ports like Crazy Taxi, 18-Wheeler, or Sega GT.  It's not even the controller's fault, as the steering wheel works just as bad.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Personal favorites, as one of my favorite consoles of all time, possibly my #1:

Ooga Booga (Witchdoctor fightin' doesn't get better than this!)

Demolition Racer: No Exit (underrated, criminally)

HydroThunder

Soul Calibur 

Virtua Fighter 3TB

Plasma Sword

Ready 2 Rumble

Armada

Cannon Spike

Confidential Mission

Capcom vs SNK (and the sequel)

Dynamite Cop!

Marvel Vs Capcom 2

Project Justice

Rez

Zombie Revenge

Space Channel 5

Star Wars Ep 1 Racer

Speed Devils (as said above, no law suits!  Genuinely love the game!)

Crazy Taxi

Silent Scope

Looney Tunes Space Race

Wacky Races

Phantasy Star Online

• Like 3

Personal favorites, as one of my favorite consoles of all time, possibly my #1:

Ooga Booga (Witchdoctor fightin' doesn't get better than this!)
Demolition Racer: No Exit (underrated, criminally)
HydroThunder
Soul Calibur 
Virtua Fighter 3TB
Plasma Sword
Ready 2 Rumble
Armada
Cannon Spike
Confidential Mission
Capcom vs SNK (and the sequel)
Dynamite Cop!
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Project Justice
Rez
Zombie Revenge
Space Channel 5
Star Wars Ep 1 Racer
Speed Devils (as said above, no law suits!  Genuinely love the game!)
Crazy Taxi
Silent Scope
Looney Tunes Space Race
Wacky Races
Phantasy Star Online

I’m with you on that possibly number 1 idea. It really hit that sweet spot between arcade and home console cohesion. I am a definite product of the Arcade/console generation so for me this console really gets it right. If their was a portable version of the dreamcast nowadays with some full size joycon like slide on controllers and the ability to use a real vmu(ok that’s just because I think they are awesome) I would freakin love it!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

I’m with you on that possibly number 1 idea. It really hit that sweet spot between arcade and home console cohesion. I am a definite product of the Arcade/console generation so for me this console really gets it right. If their was a portable version of the dreamcast nowadays with some full size joycon like slide on controllers and the ability to use a real vmu(ok that’s just because I think they are awesome) I would freakin love it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast-DC-DIY-Handmade-Portable-Handheld-Game-Console-VMU-GDEMU/264967975596

:)  It's in the works, apparently, at least in custom form!

1490787735_PortableDreamcast.thumb.jpg.1781462c128b3474868e5b8cb4fc278f.jpg

And yes, it was such a great arcade and home console.  So. Many. Great. Fighters!!  Very few poor games, and even the games that were poor still looked freaking fantastic back in the day (and not half bad now with either DCDigital or VGA out).

• Like 3

Throwing my two cents into the discussion.  Some of my favorites for the DC are:

- Crazy Taxi 1 and 2

- Soul Calibur

- Alien Front Online

- Demolition Racer: No Exit

Also, while I do like the Dreamcast, I am just now exploring the console moreso now that I have a crap ton of games for my Nvidia Shield TV.

• Like 3

Shenmue 1 and 2

Phantasy Star Online

Zombie Revenge

F355 Challenge

Silent Scope

Confidential Mission

Carrier

Virtua Tennis 1 and 2

Crazy Taxi 1 and 2

Dead or Alive 2

Virtua Fighter 3TB

Charge n Blast

House of the Dead 2

Ready 2 Rumble 1 and 2

NFL 2K2

MLB 2K2

Spawn

Ikaruga

Capcom VS SNK

StreetFighter 3 

Skies of Arcadia

AJPW Giant Gram 2000

Alien Front Online

18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker

D2

Cannon Spike

Dynamite Cop

Death Crimson OX

Expendable

Revolt

Power Stone 1&2

Sega Swirl

StarLancer

Sword of The Berserk

TimeStalkers

Tokyo Bus Guide

Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 and 2

Daytona USA

And my absolute favorite game of them all..........HeadHunter.

Certain games are cheaper to buy and in way better condition if you buy japanese releases.

Zombie Revenge and House of the Dead 2 is 30-40bucks Jap, nearly 100 or more for the NA version. Some jap games, mainly the arcade games are in english anyway or have very little use of japanese.

HeadHunter was only released as PAL.

So you will need either a bootdisc or a gameshark CDX to play PAL and Jap games.

• Like 2

If your Dreamcast was built by a certain date, it plays burned games. Just need CD-R's. Though I don't recommend this. Laser burns out. And the actual motor itself can die out pretty quick if you get the settings wrong for a certain game.

Not every game burns on the same settings. What worked for the first 20 games, will be different for the next 20. Games burned incorrectly will make your already loud dreamcast way louder. You can hear it stressing the console. Most games should be burned at the lowest speed possible. Some refuse to be burned at 4x  and require a slower speed.  Some drives dont even go that low. Others want to be burned at 8 or 10 if they refuse 4x. 

After burned games killed my white DC, I purchased every game I play on DC so I could actually own the originals. I refuse to put burned games in my black Sega Sports DC. Unless its a boot disc, no CD-R goes into it.

GDEMU sounds like the solution to so many issues, there's no surprise that it's becoming so popular.  I can't mod for squat (once tried to mod an Xbox, the easiest mod in the known universe, and completely destroyed it!), so I ordered a pre-rebuild GDEMU DC, should be here next week.  Mostly because I don't want either of my two launch day Dreamcasts to ever die, and fear for the wear and tear on them at this old age.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Throwing my two cents into the discussion.  Some of my favorites for the DC are:

- Crazy Taxi 1 and 2

- Soul Calibur

- Alien Front Online

- Demolition Racer: No Exit

Also, while I do like the Dreamcast, I am just now exploring the console moreso now that I have a crap ton of games for my Nvidia Shield TV.

Gotta say I love this short list.  Demolition Racer is absolutely criminally underrated.  It even has that ridiculous "Big Car Hunter" light gun game in it, it's just insane.  The # of hours that my ex-wife, her sister, and I put into that thing is beyond measure.  Great graphics, great "UNGH!" feel in big collisions, "Death From Above", the customization of the cars, the feeling of speed, just incredible.  

And this is somewhat random, but if you're a Crazy Taxi nut... I swear that Simpsons' Road Rage (Xbox, PS2, GC) is the best sequel that technically isn't a sequel ever made.

It basically takes Crazy Taxi and does all of the things that they should have done in a sequel to it.  Unlockable drivers and cars with completely different driving properties and styles, passengers that say things that are -specific- to who their driver is, tons of shortcuts, missions, just a great version of Crazy Taxi that I have adored since the day I got it for Xbox.  And since it's not a sequel, it's a complete ripoff of the Crazy Taxi setup. :)

• Like 2