IGNORED

Here we go again! Boxed Quadrun on eBay

bjybjy

Why do people INSIST on bidding up the price so early in the auction???  :roll:   It's still got a LOOOOOOOONG time to go!  :?

yeah I know, I guess the logic is I'm willing to spend $x dollars so I'll just put that down now so I don't have to rebid a week from now. But that never works on wanted items, someone will snipe you and pay $1 more than your max bid.

yeah I know, I guess the logic is I'm willing to spend $x dollars so I'll just put that down now so I don't have to rebid a week from now.  But that never works on wanted items, someone will snipe you and pay $1 more than your max bid.

That's right!!!!

Final price will be 1200$ and what is your guest?

wow!  i wonder where the seller got the games.  obviously neither the seller nor the previous owner knew the value of quadrun...

Seller said he got 60 boxed Atari games for about $2 each at an estate auction. (I emailed him) He had no idea any of the games were particularly valuable.

Tad

wow!  i wonder where the seller got the games.  obviously neither the seller nor the previous owner knew the value of quadrun...

Seller said he got 60 boxed Atari games for about $2 each at an estate auction. (I emailed him) He had no idea any of the games were particularly valuable.

Tad

wow again! my best find to date has been miner 2049er loose cartridge for $2.99 at a thrift store!

It just goes to show that the antiques roadshow is right about having the box. The last quadrun on ebay only got up to $320 (or close to that) for the loose cart. Having the box (and in that great a condition) is a huge plus. I bet this guy is happy as hell he didn't put it as a "buy it now".

I wonder if he did, how many people here would email him offering him more?

Speaking of which, I missed out on a 7800 planet smashers in a sealed box for $5. I REALLY need the box and instructions to that game.

Hey guys,

I'm new to collecting, but not new to the 2600 (had one when I was 11 back in 82).

Anyways, I'm noticing that this "Quadrun" phenomena is amazing. 445.00 for a boxed game? Wow.

Well, I've heard somewhere that they're only 10,000 of these puppies made. Is this true? I'm sure they're more than 10,000 of us drooling collectors who'd like to get one. . . .

Aw, crap, I guess I'm headed toward dishing out some serious coin for this someday. :roll:

Any advice? Possible to find one in a flea market, etc? Has that ever happened to anyone?

Yeah, too bad it couldn't have been one of us collectors. :(

Phil

Yeah this guy really got lucky. The sad thing is that this guy is a "power

seller" who makes his living off of ebay. It would have been nicer if it

was the original owners who sold it off cuz now this guy is going to

look at Quadrun and then Rubic's Cube and think their is easy money

in Atari and go around buying up a lot of stuff and overpricing it. Still

it goes to show that finds are still out there.

John

I'm just trying to think deeply about this:

I think that Quadrun cannot get MORE rare as time goes on, because anyone that currently has a Quadrun is likely taking really good care of it. So I also do not see the "value" of this cartridge going up significantly as a function of time because of this.

The question is when will the collectors decide to release their Quadruns back into the market?

I see this phenomenon is close to RENTING. These collectors will eventually sell their rare carts, correct? Isn't that one of the points of collecting (at least rare things).

There doesn't seem to be much sense going to your grave with bunches of rare carts is it? But since no one can predict that, how do collectors decide to convert their carts into cash? I doubt many collectors give their collections away in the form of inheritance.

I realize this is rambling, but some of these questions still bother me from time to time, and I want some explanations, or ideas from others.

Thanks

Good point Kaz,

It can probably go either way in the future. It depends on the economy I suppose.

I know if I had a Quadrun, I'd probably be hanging on to it for, quite possibly, my lifetime (God willing it's a long one). I'm really not in this for the $, but for the love of having these games and have them around. I'm hoping to stir the excitement for the 2600 in my 7 year-old stepson; he really seems to dig Space Invaders and Asteroids so far.

(Sorry, rambling on. . . .)

Anyway, I think you will be able to see this sort of thing pop up every once and a while; the key is, will we have the $$ to get it because it's for sure that this game will continue to demand more $$ in my opinion as the years pass.

Rock on.

Well, if you are a true collector of things, you don't sell your rare stuff off no matter what. Hell, most people want to be buried with it. But since I collect so much stuff, I would need a vault to have all my stuff buried with me. Maybe someone will build a pyramid in my honor and let me have all my possessions.

As for being a power seller, I'm a power seller so you can't judge a person on that. Being a power seller does not necessarily mean you make your living off of Ebay. Though it does mean you are making some kind of money.

Also, he has other boxed games on. So if the other games only fetch a couple of dollars, he'll know that only a few games will warrant high dollars, while others remain low $5-10 for the most part when they are boxed. And he will probably continue to just put a low minimum and let the market decide. He probably pays one flat price for the stuff. Maybe a buck a game, or possibly even less. If he started them at $2.50 or so, with the time and fees, $1.00 per game seems like a reasonable buy price.

Phil