IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 24 *Popeye*

Atari5200

time again for a new round in the HSC. This round is going to be a little different.

Normal time frame has been two week intervals, however we ran a month for the last round and this round we are actually going to end on 3-31. A little longer than usual but that's only because we have the main event going down for April with a massive multi system HSC battle.

So this round the game is Popeye.

Final Leaderboard, update: 04-02-2008

phuzaxeman: 205190

darthkur: 129990

DoctorClu: 109960

JetSet: 100980

Shannon: 30290

midnight8: 28950

BydoEmpire: 18870

Mike5200: 7360

Edited by Atari5200

I'm popeye the sailor man.. Toot Toot..

I live in a garbage can..

Used to waste time in music class playing this on the piano. They used to stick us all in one room to practice so it was like you couldn't even hear yourself play. :lol:

post-3211-1205378633_thumb.png

Edited by Shannon

time again for a new round in the HSC. This round is going to be a little different.

Normal time frame has been two week intervals, however we ran a month for the last round and this round we are actually going to end on 3-31. A little longer than usual but that's only because we have the main event going down for April with a massive multi system HSC battle.

So this round the game is Popeye.

I have not played this in a long time and it shows. 28950 best so far

Ah, much better today: 18,870. Made it to the second stage. I don't know that I've ever seen the second stage in Popeye before.

I have problems with the 3rd stage. For some reason popeye is the one game my homemade controllers have problems with. I just can't seem to get it right for this game. it works very well on all my other games.

I guess i need more time to play :roll:

Some helpful hints....

Screen one:

AVOID punching the cans thrown by Bruto and the Sea Hag unless you have to. Stay by the sides and take the stairs to avoid the cans. Get the hearts that fall towards the middle by following Bruto to the halfway point (once he's set going a direction he's stuck till he gets to the other side of the screen.)

Of course, line Bruto up at about the middle of the screen, and at the top hit the punching bag which deploys the barrel that will stop Bruto. You can even walk through him while he's stuck. A great time to grab the spinach and punch his lights out.

Screen two:

Bruto throws cans at you at the first level that you start on. You can avoid by walking off the side of the screen as soon as he moves away from the other side. Other than once a few fall to the middle, fall to the lower level, and from there, try to stay off the same level as Bruto unless you grab the spinach.

Falling onto the teter toter with Wimpsy as counter ballast is good for getting you up to the upper most platform for extra points, and every time afterwards good for getting back up to the upper (starting) platform any time after that.

Screen three:

A matter of timing to ride the moving mast (?) from one side to the other, punching letters out of the sky and then running back to catch the mast again. All the while timing the punch of the Seagulls that the Sea Hag sends your way. They are much easier to punch than cans, and score 1000 points each! In this level there is spinach.. since the level is so segmented, make sure you are on the same side of the ship as Bruto before getting the spinach.

Hope that helps for better score and competition for me. :P

Oooooohh..methinks someone is just toying with me to keep it close.

I'll have to find more time for this one tonight.

Nah, just getting progressively better.

What? Nothing yet?

LOL.

No I tried a few times and couldn't best what I had done. Plus life's been really crazy lately! I might take one last shot tonight. :)