IGNORED

Any game recommendations?

atari2600land

I just bought myself an X-Box 360 along with a copy of Beautiful Katamari. While the system itself is OK (I'm proud of myself that I actually figured out how to hook it up! :)), the game wasn't very good. Does anyone have any recommendations on good games to get (I'm going to ask for the Tetris game for Easter, so any besides that.) I like platformers and puzzle games the best.

I just bought myself an X-Box 360 along with a copy of Beautiful Katamari. While the system itself is OK (I'm proud of myself that I actually figured out how to hook it up! :)), the game wasn't very good. Does anyone have any recommendations on good games to get (I'm going to ask for the Tetris game for Easter, so any besides that.) I like platformers and puzzle games the best.

well, if you haven't played puzzle quest on any of the other systems it's available on, you might want to try it. It's hardly an impressive display of 360's power, but it's fantastic from a gameplay standpoint. I somehow have a feeling you'll be spending your time in the live arcade a lot if you can't force yourself to like FPS games or racing titles.

What version of the 360 did you wind up getting?

Are you saying that you think Beautiful Katamari wasn't that good? :?

Man I loved that game!

I might not be the best person to recommend you stuff.

If you enjoy puzzles (and have the space) hit the arcade and get Puzzle Quest and Jewel Quest for sure.

Most of your puzzle games are going to be in the Arcade. You can demo any of them ahead of time and try them out. Puzzle Fighter, Bejewelled 2, Lumines Live, Word Puzzle are all games you'll want to check out.

If you want the best of the best overall retail games. Add Oblivion, BioShock and Mass Effect

If you want to be playing online co-op or online Vs. ... Perfect Dark Zero, Halo 3 and Gears of War are all solid games.

Honestly the list of games I'd recommend would be over-welming (Tomb Raider Legends, Test Drive Unlimited, Kameo...The list would go on and on) Your best bet is to hit the Marketplace and try out a bunch of games and write down the ones you like. Chances are the older games can be had for $10-$20 used.

I got the Xbox 360 Live Arcade version (the one that costs $280). I haven't played Beautiful Katamari that much yet, but from what I did play, I think it's really hard. I think the problem is I haven't got the hang of it yet. Either that, or it's too hard for me.

I don't think I'll be going online with this thing, high-speed internet access isn't available where I live. And you need high-speed internet access to get into the arcade, right? I have no idea about getting online with any console, let alone the 360. I just bought it for the 1-player games, which there doesn't seem to be very many. Stupid Qwest. Is Kameo like Super Mario 64/Sunshine?

I just bought it for the 1-player games, which there doesn't seem to be very many. Stupid Qwest. Is Kameo like Super Mario 64/Sunshine?

Actually there are very few games that are designed specifically for online.

Most of the library is 1 player or online/offline.

Get Oblivion for sure. Best 1 player only game IMO. One of my favorite games ever really.

Get Bio Shock, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect, Earth Defense Force 2017 these games have no online play at all.

Thing is...Many of the games that have online play....also have solid single player campaigns as well.

Saints Row, Lost Planet, Gears of War, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, The Darkness, Quake 4, PDZ, Kameo....all these games can be enjoyed without internet.

BTW... Kameo is a must play game in my opinion. It would be an action/adventure I'd think. I really don't know what to compare it to. The game can be had very cheap now though. Probably find a copy for $20 or under. It does have online play, but you will have a blast exploring and beating the single player game as well.

Since the OP doesn't have access to Marketplace, then I would suggest checking out these two compilations:

1) Popcap Arcade Vol. 1 - Contains some of the best (my opinion) offerings on Marketplace: Zuma, Bejeweled 2, Feeding Frenzy, and AstroPop. Price: $20

2) Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged - Another good compilation of games: Geometry Wars, Bejeweled 2, Wik: Fable of Souls, Backgammon, Outpost Kaloki, and Texas Holdem. Price is around $10 - $15 used (not sure if its still available new anymore)

And if you want to try a sort of combination "puzzle - platformer" then check out Tomb Raider Legend and Tomb Raider Anniversary. Both are very well done on the 360 and offer action, platforming, and some head scratching puzzles.

Mendon

I'd say my favorite games that could be loosly fit into eithe genera, would be Lego Star wars, and vivepinata. I rate them C...for crack addict,. :lol:

I personally like The Darkness, Halo, and Oblivion other than that. I gout a few more games, but Kameo really did totally suck as bad as everybody said it did (would ahve been better if the contorlls didn't totally suck arse, but eh...oh well) Project Gotham 3 2as more of the same great game as the previous two, but eh...other than the kudos thing for driveing crazy, it's over all pretty generic otherwise. Prey was kinda neat, with the weirdy gravity devices...And Fuzion Frenzy I just got cause...well, I liked the first one (ducks rotten tomations)

I got Sonic, but haven't played it yet, so no comment (thoug I heard it sucked, or the charactures black and white sonics sucked)

For Puzzles and platformers...I think XBL will be your real calling though, there's some coolstuff on there. I'm just against supporting for this new 'medialess' content...even if it is only $5

Yo, anybody know if the X-box Arcade CD thingy can be bought seperately? Or if other discs with collections of XBL games on them will come out? That would be cool.

Oh yeah, OXM has games quiet often, pluss the demos and magazine aren't half bad (sometimes not half good either, but not half bad none the less :lol: )

I'd say my favorite games that could be loosly fit into eithe genera, would be Lego Star wars, and vivepinata. I rate them C...for crack addict,. :lol:

Totally agree, Like I said there are so many great games and speaking of Crack....

Crackdown is another winner in my book. It has awesome online co-op...but the single player campaign is a blast to play as well.

To comment on what I think of Kameo, not everyone said it sucked at all, in fact its a very highly rated game. Check around for reviews, IGN 8.4 Gamespot 8.7 EGM B+... (Those are combined user reviews averaged from thousands of ratings, not individuals) I guess it's just one of those games you either love or hate but it's obvious from the results, most people loved it. I think Viva Pinata is the same way. Me personally, I loved both.

• 6 years later...

Necrobump!

I found my X-Box 360 in the garage. It took me a while but I found the cords needed to play it. I turn it on, it goes flawlessly. No RROD after 6 years! The only game I have, Tetris Evolution, plays great. The memory card still has the whole game where I beat the game. I didn't know it saved that whole game! Not only that, all 15 levels! I taped the last few levels and I'm going to put them on YouTube soon. I think I got rid of and traded in Katamari and Sega Genesis Classics. I originally was going to trade the system in, but I decided not to. So, since there probably were many other X-Box 360 games released between 2008 and now, I'm asking for more recommendations. One thing against the 360, though: It's loud!

Still for puzzles?

Get minecraft, that game is awesome. Can be played kinda hardcore or just as relaxed as you want, lots of options.

Plants VS zombies is good too (and has a couple other puzzle games on it) (have not played the sequels though, no comment on those, but one of the sequels is a FPS so I don't know)

Orange box has some decent games on it, but Portal was my favorite, and Portal 2 also. First person Puzzle games.

Of course, if you can find them, get any of the Pop Cap collections.

Any of those games are $20 or less, so not to bad IMO. If you got HS internet now, you can get a gold account and get a couple freebies each month (dishonored this month) most of which probably won't meet your needs for puzzle games, but you can also get live arcade where there are tons of games for decent deals $5-$20 range) all kinds of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

If you missed out on it while it was free, I would seriously consider Battleblock Theater. The graphics aren't the best (they have that anarchic Dan Paladin look that's an acquired taste) but the level designs are sublime, some of the most clever and carefully designed stages I've seen in a platformer in years. There's some pretty good writing, too... the announcer is as warped as all hell.

Not much else is coming to mind at the moment. The Xbox 360 isn't really known for platformers... that's really more the Wii and Wii U's strength. The two Pac-Man Champs are worth a shot... DX in particular has a puzzle element which challenges you to run past and wake up as many ghosts as possible. Once you've got a long conga line going, you munch an energizer and gulp down the whole line of baddies. Satisfying!

• 3 weeks later...

Sound to me like you fall into the 'casual gamer' category.

What about Arcade games? I've bought/tried a few and most have been pretty good. On my system I still give Out Run and Pac-Man CE a run once in a while. Think I have Pac-Man DX as well (think that's what it's called) which is a fairly new addition.

A game that doesn't involve too much frantic action is Arcadecraft. It's a game where you're thrown back into the 70's and early 80's. You have to manage your own arcade, install new machines, empty them, kick out frustrated players that are damaging your equipment and so forth. It's a pretty fun game.