IGNORED

(update found new issues)atari flashback 2 games mixed around?

On my atari flashback 2 console, when I select "asteroids deluxe", it takes me to missile command, when I select missile command, it takes me to missile command.

Is this normal?

UPDATE:

found new problems

adventure 2 redirects to video chess

secret quest produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

lunar lander produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

yars return is unplayable, everything is distored

fatal run produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

space duel redirects to a glitchy human cannonball

off the wall produces black screen no sound

radar lock produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

save mary produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

and of course astreroids delux redirects to missile command

all of these games are completely unplayable, but the few games that redirect to a different game, i can play the game that it had redirected to.

i hear the voice in quadrun though...

...does anyone else have these problems?

Edited by flammingcowz

Sounds like a corrupt rom, may have been a bad burn image during production. This is the second one I've heard of with a scrambling of game code. Unfortunately because the ROM as under a silicate on the PCB there is not way to remedy the issue on the unit. If you can exchange it (if the place you purchased it has more) then that is the only solution.

Curt

On my atari flashback 2 console, when I select "asteroids deluxe", it takes me to missile command, when I select missile command, it takes me to missile command.

Is this normal?

UPDATE:

found new problems

adventure 2 redirects to video chess

secret quest produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

lunar lander produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

yars return is unplayable, everything is distored

fatal run produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

space duel redirects to a glitchy human cannonball

off the wall produces black screen no sound

radar lock produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

save mary produces a blue screen and high pitched noises

and of course astreroids delux redirects to missile command

all of these games are completely unplayable, but the few games that redirect to a different game, i can play the game that it had redirected to.

i hear the voice in quadrun though...

...does anyone else have these problems?

• 1 month later...
The only problem I had was either with Yars Revenge or its sequel. The vsync was so bad it was unplayable. This was on both my regular tv & my newer HTDV. Darn.

I have that on Yars Return also. Any pictures of what it is supposed to look like?

I did some more investigating. It looks like I have one of the first run units. There is no voice at the start of Quadrun. Is there a way to know what revision the unit it without having to play the games?

The only problem I had was either with Yars Revenge or its sequel. The vsync was so bad it was unplayable. This was on both my regular tv & my newer HTDV. Darn.

I have that on Yars Return also. Any pictures of what it is supposed to look like?

I solved the problem by buying another FB2, and playing it on a TV that has no channel selector. It only takes s-video for input, so I put in an adaptor, and away I was playing. The Yars' games work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the chance to get another flashback 2. Is there anyway from looking at the unit what version the flashback 2 is. I don't any another of the first run that have problems with some games.

You can't tell them apart just by looking. Digit Press has a good rundown of the differences in FB2 revisions so you'll know how to tell them apart just by playing, though. http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/pnpflashback2.htm

You are most likely (I think) to run across Version 3 of the software on Version 3 of the PCB - this is commonly called Rev B. and has some buggy games, but Quadrun has the voice and Millipede is the Atari version.

If you find a Rev. C (in other words, Version 4) I think this further fixes some games, so grab that up. You have to open this up to tell it apart from Rev B though.

EDIT: Just saw where you said you'd already done your research, so you probably already know this stuff : )

Edited by Hornpipe2

• 3 years later...

hmm on my modded one when you flash between hombew cart external cart of asteroid(crockrocks) and MISSILE COMMAND or switch between real missile command and flashback one it screws up missile command and plays weird the smartbombs keep comming LOUDER AND LOUDER from the bottom UP and or from top down and score runs up all by it self.. I THINK THERE IS A LOOSE PIN !!

I almost forgot

yars revenge LOCKS UP WHEN I PLAY as I cant help but do what I do to lock it up... I dont how ever know what it is..

that makes it lock up other than my diaganal joystick movments witch I always use my brother nor freinds can not figure out why I run faster in football cause diagnal movments like snoopy flight go faster A SLICK STICK IS AWESOME FOR THESE MOVEMENTS as its TRUE 8way never fail 8way!! when you goto the corner it shorts the corner not having to use switches...

really good design exept for its interferance it creates.. static.

his page imtentionally left blank or something like that its spelled wrong I only saw it TWICE and dont want to see it again as It would potentally fry ..

Edited by awace