IGNORED

What Do You Think About Installing PS3 Games?

Mendon

Just curious what other PS3 owners think about having to "install" so many of the new game releases?

I picked up Hot Shot's Golf this week and had to perform a 5gb install before playing. Then I received Lost Planet from GameFly yesterday and had to do another lengthy 5gb install in order to play the game. I've also had to install a couple other previous games I've purchased/rented in the past and from what I've read, several more upcoming releases will require installs also.

I understand the reason for the installs... Blu-ray drive speed is slower than regular DVD drive, so installing some game files speeds up loading.... and overall its not that a big a hassle to install the games.

But I have to wonder about those users with 20gb and 40gb systems.... if after downloading a few themes, some demo's, some game add-on's, some PS Store games, some video's, and maybe storing a few songs.... will these owners be constantly installing - deleting files and games in order to have room to play GTA4, Haze, Resistence2, etc on their systems?

Since I rent a lot of games from GameFly, it becomes a little bit annoying to have to do these 15min installs, play the game for an hour or so, then delete the file and install the next rental. So for myself, I think I would prefer the OPTION of either installing for faster loading or playing off the disk.

Anyway, just curious what others think about having to install new release games on their system. Does it annoy you at all... no hassle at all.... ??

Mendon

I haven't had to install anything in order to play a game yet. Nothing that I recall

Not too concerned with it now, but in the future I may be as I only have a 40GB system. I'll have to check how much room I have right now. I can see it being a pain if you are using gamefly.

Do you still have to insert the disc after the install?

I wouldn't mind a small install of maybe 500meg or something, but 5 gig seems a bit high.

Yep, you still need the disk.

The installation of files is supposed to simply speed up the load times of games, nothing more. I don't know about anyone else, but for me the process of installing the game files take quite a bit of time, anywhere from 10 to 20min.

Mendon

I dunno about installing game data, but I hate downloading and installing system updates and PS Store games.

What is Sony using.. T1 lines? Jesus, if you kick off some downloads, you best go get some lunch or maybe paint the hallway because you'll have a lot of time to kill....and then after it's downloaded, you get to install it! WOOOT! I guess I've just been spoiled. Makes me wonder though how they are ever going to pull off offering full length movies this year.

I dunno about installing game data, but I hate downloading and installing system updates and PS Store games.

What is Sony using.. T1 lines? Jesus, if you kick off some downloads, you best go get some lunch or maybe paint the hallway because you'll have a lot of time to kill....and then after it's downloaded, you get to install it! WOOOT! I guess I've just been spoiled. Makes me wonder though how they are ever going to pull off offering full length movies this year.

Yeah that Mortal Kombat 2 download took like 3 years to get?Sheesh,I mean I coulda had grandkids by then :ponder:

I think we should call it the PC3!

I did the install for Ninja Gaiden Sigma (it was optional) and I was very happy with the quicker loading times, definitely worth it. I do think installs should be optional though for those with smaller hard drives. I guess it's a good thing that the PS3's hard drive can be easily swapped out for a bigger one.