IGNORED

My first Homebrew: Vong

Wickeycolumbus

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, Now that it is summer for me, expect many updates!

I am rewriting the entire game, and this is the first kernel test. There is no movement yet, and is 100% unplayable. I will make it playable probably tonight or the next night.

Major Changes:

- score is to be made out of P0 and P1 Sprites instead of Playfield for better resolution

- There is an actual Horizontal Positioning routiene

- Runs at a steady 262 scanlines

- The ball is actually the Ball sprite, not a Missle Sprite

EDIT:

I had a chance to try this out on real hardware, and the screen does not roll :cool: For the Final release version, there will be a nice title screen with (hopefully) a 48 pixel sprite. There will be a 4 player version where each person uses a paddle controller, and each person gets their own side of the screen (Top P1, Right Side M1, Bottom P0, Left Side M0).

vong20080613.bin

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Hi Wickey

Good work....

Did you try a 7800 version?

greetings Walter

No, Sorry, not yet, I will when I am done with the 2600 one, but I do have a secret 2600 project after this one that I will tell you all more about later.

Here is the latest version, it has score sprites, hopefully the next version will have scoring.

For anyone who can help: I need a new sprite for the 6, mine does not look good and it would be greatly appreciated if any one could make one that is 8 pixels wide and 11 tall.

vong20080621.bin

This version has scoring, and to start it, you press the joystick button.

Edit: The problem was a careless mistake:

This is what my code to adjust the position of the score/paddles looked like before:

lda CPU_Paddle_X
ldx #1
jsr PositionSprites

lda Player0_Paddle_X
ldx #0
jsr PositionSprites

What I did is add a 'sta WSYNC' in between the two, because the HMxx Registers were being changed before 24 cycles occured (the hpos routine begins with 'sta HMCLR')

vong200806282.bin

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Hi Wickey

Looks nice,but when you have more than 9 points,you only see a blank square.

greetings Walter

Yea, I will fix that in the next version.

In this new version, the background colors change every 2 seconds until you press reset to start a game. You can see that before you start a game, there is a blank space where the cpu score goes and a 1 where your score goes, That is the game variation number. Variation 2, which in not in this version will be 2 player.

vong20080629.bin

Too many choices! Do I play Vong or Bong? If somebody makes Chong, my head will explode from choice overload! Ahhhhhhh! What do I do?!!!! Help me Martha, mother of meatloaf! Help me!

I know, I know, there re tons of pong clones, but I had to start somewhere with my first homebrew. When I started this, I could not even move sprites vertically. I have come a long way and hopefully can come up with an original idea next time! BTW, Vong was around way before Bong.

Hi Guys

I think Vong is a good start for a young boy.I wish i could program like Wickey,but i am only a little hacker.

greetings Walter

Thanks a lot! it is nice to see at least one supporter!

here is yesterday's version. The score goes up to 15 now, and the paddle and score of the first person to get 15 flashes for about 2 seconds and there is a sound efect.

vong20080630.bin