IGNORED

Adventure 2000 Alpha Now On-Line

Kripto

Wait a sec. I'm still waiting for my flying car.

What two "Cubby" Broccoli movies, both loosely based on Ian Flemming novels, featured flying cars (actually, come to think of it, there may be free, though I think one of them really just glides).

Edited by supercat

Hello All,

Just wanted to give an update on Adventure 2000. Had some family obligations and unexpected music/synth work come up this weekend, so a few days got lost on this project. Will soon be back on it at full speed and have finished up all the dragon models and now need to work on creature animations, AI and the primary 'manager' routine. It tracks and coordinates all the game elements and has been christened the 'MCP' (Please don't transfer yourself into my computer and try to destroy the MCP by throwing your data disc into its' 'heart', etc... I need it for this game to work correctly... Thanks ;) )

For those curious about what will be coming from me after A2000- Here is a work-in-progress screen shot from my soon-to-be first commercial game. I'm staying with the '80s' meets new millennium graphics and game play, but this time with a traditional shooter which centers around a VERY new game play element (not visible in shot). I think it will be enjoyed.

post-1636-1207538480_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kripto

Wait a sec. I'm still waiting for my flying car.

What two "Cubby" Broccoli movies, both loosely based on Ian Flemming novels, featured flying cars (actually, come to think of it, there may be free, though I think one of them really just glides).

It's not a viable flying car unless it uses antigravity like in Back to the Future Part II.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings All!

After a while taken up with needed projects in the 'real world', Adventure 2000 is once again on the front burner.

In fact, a playable alpha version is now on-line for your pleasure. You can check it out at this web location.

You will need the newest version of the Unity web player installed, which you will be guided to if you don't have.

Limitations of this version-

There is no sound.

The one dragon CAN eat you it, but really won't. His 'nose' for the player has been turned down to zero while his AI is tweaked.

The bat lives but does not function fully.

The bridge is mostly non-functional. Due to this, if the chalice is spawned inside the White Castle, the game may not be able to be won. This is unlikely, but possible.

How to Play-

After the title screen loads, click in it so as to 'focus' your keyboard and mouse into the game engine.

Press space to start the game.

Arrow keys move the player around while moving the mouse changes look and move orientation.

As in the original Adventure, run into objects to pick them up. Hit the space bar to drop them.

Hope you have fun exploring this early version! :)

I like this new spin on an old classic!

I know this is a test version, but three things I find that bothered me:

1. the control is quite awkward in first person having to use both the keyboard and mouse. I find it a chore to constantly face in the direction my player is moving.

2. the catacombs is too dark and a royal pain to navigate cause the walls black out when you come up against it. It's very hard to get around not knowing where I'm facing but managed to find the purple room and magnet. But back in the catacombs got me lost again and that's where I gave up.

3. the sword is always pointing the "wrong way" (like an arrow) no matter which end I try to pick it up.

Thanks for your feedback!

I would suggest that everyone look at a map of the original Adventure mazes or you WILL get lost in this 3D version. All Mazes are true to the original.

You can find a great map HERE.

The movement system is a standard first person shooter setup, like Quake. What do you think would work better?

Turning the sword around will be easy enough

The darkness in the maze is most likely due to Gamma difference between Mac and PC. Will be simple to fix.

Thanks again for your suggestions! :)

Edited by Kripto

Sadly, at this point I can't generate a stand-alone version for Windows machines, only for Macs. That will change in the future at some point.

The Unity browser plug-in is very respectable and is used for many Disney games among many others, so nothing to fear there.

Sadly, at this point I can't generate a stand-alone version for Windows machines, only for Macs. That will change in the future at some point.

The Unity browser plug-in is very respectable and is used for many Disney games among many others, so nothing to fear there.

I have a Mac. May I have a stand-alone version? :)

I have a Mac. May I have a stand-alone version? :)

I'll post a downloadable Mac standalone with the next update, which should be early this week. The next version will feature a modified object positioning system which will make it easier to find stuff, all three dragons, complete with appetites ( :twisted: ), and possibly, a fully operational bridge.

Looking great so far. Are you gonna keep that white glow between teleporting spots? I wonder if you can just show the room itself? Also some entrances only show a black wall, like when looking inside catacombs or castles. Also it would be cool if you could add the third dimmension to the dragons. They look funny in 2-D while the rest is 3-D. Ah, one more thing, how about inverting the vertical axis?

Screenshot for the curious:

post-16761-1209895407_thumb.jpg

I debated the idea of what should be done with the teleporters and entry ways, as to how they should appear. Options included putting actual doors on castles (not in the original), etc. Showing the destination is not an easy task at present, but may be a possible feature in a future build.

As for control modifications, that will eventually be added as I add a configuration/options screen.

I intend to the leave the dragon models as they are (they do actually have 'some' depth), but I will be adding extensive 3D animation to them, which will make them have far more presence and visibility when viewed from all angles.

If only all our computers featured NVIDIA QuadroFX cards, I could just use the below model which I created for the upcoming Adventure 2000 PDF manual.

post-1636-1209905632_thumb.jpg

I don't think I will be able to play on my laptop due to having the little touchpad thingie, so I'll try it later on my desktop comp. But this is something I definitely have to try - I used to play Adventure so much that I would dream of myself in the game in 3-D. :D

The movement system is a standard first person shooter setup, like Quake. What do you think would work better?

Please allow it to be configurable. Not everyone likes the "standard"!

I, for one, prefer "flight controls" for looking around; i.e., pushing forward with the mouse to look down and pulling back to look up.

And some might prefer to strafe with the mouse and turn with the keyboard, rather than vice versa.

That said, there is a lot of Adventure-specific fine-tuning that would be nice: since you aren't actually shooting anything, you could damp the mouse sensitivity way down, which would make it a lot easier to control. Going even further, is there really any reason to look up or down? It would be nice if the up/down sensitivity was very low, much lower than the left/right sensitivity.

Combining some of these things would make it possible to play the game almost completely with the keyboard, which would make it more accessible and easier to handle. Not everyone is a 733t Quake player and, really, the Quake controls are way overkill for an Adventure remake.

A different note - it would be really cool to add some variable height to the landscape - put the castles on hills, put the blue maze into a valley, make the dark maze into a series of tunnels, etc.

Edited by vdub_bobby

The final version will have some method of controller use, and customization available.

As for stylistic changes, the purpose of this version is to re-create the original game in a 3D environment, not to change any element unless required for that 3D translation. Some elements, such as the bridge and portals, required changes or invention for the game to function, but I have resisted the desire to 'go to town' and create new landscape features, etc.

After this version is finished, I may build upon it to create a far more contemporary, darker version with altered terrain, full texture maps, new objects, etc.

Here's an early version of the main title musical theme I'm writing for the final, downloadable (NOT web-based, too big for that...) version of Adventure 2000. Like the game itself, this is also unfinished-

Click Here to Check it Out

There will be at least two other pieces in the game, one quick one to mark your death and a victory fanfare played upon the chalice's return. There are also some unique dragon sounds and other FX things in the works as well.

The final version will have some method of controller use, and customization available.

As for stylistic changes, the purpose of this version is to re-create the original game in a 3D environment, not to change any element unless required for that 3D translation. Some elements, such as the bridge and portals, required changes or invention for the game to function, but I have resisted the desire to 'go to town' and create new landscape features, etc.

I don't think giving the floor variable height would change things any more than giving the walls height. :)

Most the objects are programmed to behave completely within the rules of physics, so they fall, stack and lie as they will. I think it adds an interesting element of 'reality' where it may be surprising to find it. The only exception is the bridge, which I've programmed to stand upright at all times so as to facilitate its use.

Finding objets is an issue though, which I'm currently thinking about ways of handling.