IGNORED

NES Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels) Game Genie codes?

I just got a reproduction copy of the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2 for NES at Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend. I love it! But it is, as I expected (and, actually, KNEW from playing it on the SNES's Super Mario All-Stars), insanely difficult.

Are there any Game Genie codes out there for this game? I tried using some of SMB1's Game Genie codes, thinking that, since the two games seem to be nearly identical (one's just got different levels and more detailed backgrounds), they would work. Alas, they do not.

So I google and I google and I google some more...no dice.

I'd just like to be able to fully explore this game. I've read about so much cool stuff in this game that, at this rate, I'll never see!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

not a GG code, but you can use the infinate life trick on world 1-1.

on the first floating platform, there is a red turtle. break the second brick from the right once the turtle is on the far right brick. then jump on it just right and let the extra lives pile up.

• Like 2

Lost levels was a fds disk not a cart so game genie never existed for fds disk system. So there are no no codes. I don't what those 4 are for but it can't be because fds never had game genie.

Pirate carts of SMB2J were produced at one point. I acquired one of them several years ago, which I bought for the sole purpose of having it dumped. That was during the final days of the cart-dumping frenzy, where people got organized via the net to find every cart variation of every game out there and have them properly dumped for play under emuation. :)

• Like 1

On 4/30/2011 at 8:13 AM, chrisbid said:
On 4/29/2011 at 10:57 PM, TheGameCollector said:

No not the Super Nintendo 4,5, and 6. The original 2 & 3 on Famicom.

japanese does not equal original

Are you guys really noobs about the Final Fantasy numbering fiasco?

It was just like Super Mario Bros. 2 having 2 versions - Lost Levels for Japan and Doki Doki Panic sprite change for USA and Europe.

Final Fantasy II and III on Super Nintendo were actually 4 and 6. I never call 4 and 6 on Super Nintendo by it's mislabeled name anymore. Those names were corrected on their Playstation and Game Boy Advance remakes.

The real Final Fantasy II and III were 8-bit games for the NES/Famicom and were also remade. II for the Playstation, Game Boy Advance and PSP; III for the Nintendo DS. So yes in this case Japanese does mean original because the original versions of those games were only available in Japan. I didn't know there was anyone out there who still didn't know about this old information.

So no those codes are for Super Nintendo games that are sequels to the ones I am talking about, not the NES games. The reason I asked in here was because the subject was about another Japanese NES game that had a reproduction made just like these two translated Final Fantasy games I own.

• Like 1

It was just like Super Mario Bros. 2 having 2 versions - Lost Levels for Japan and Doki Doki Panic sprite change for USA and Europe.

Final Fantasy II and III on Super Nintendo were actually 4 and 6. I never call 4 and 6 on Super Nintendo by it's mislabeled name anymore. Those names were corrected on their Playstation and Game Boy Advance remakes.

The real Final Fantasy II and III were 8-bit games for the NES/Famicom and were also remade. II for the Playstation, Game Boy Advance and PSP; III for the Nintendo DS. So yes in this case Japanese does mean original because the original versions of those games were only available in Japan. I didn't know there was anyone out there who still didn't know about this old information.

So no those codes are for Super Nintendo games that are sequels to the ones I am talking about, not the NES games. The reason I asked in here was because the subject was about another Japanese NES game that had a reproduction made just like these two translated Final Fantasy games I own.

are you a language noob?

when a game has a different name in japan, no matter if it came there first or not, it is simply a different name. japan's names for things are not 'real', 'actual', or 'original'. they are simply 'japanese'

can the differences be confusing, annoying, obnoxious, etc? of course. but no amount of retconning will change what names and numbers appeared on cartridges, boxes, title screens, and instruction manuals in the united states when the games in question were first released in this region.

Edited by chrisbid

are you a language noob?

when a game has a different name in japan, no matter if it came there first or not, it is simply a different name. japan's names for things are not 'real', 'actual', or 'original'. they are simply 'japanese'

can the differences be confusing, annoying, obnoxious, etc? of course. but no amount of retconning will change what names and numbers appeared on cartridges, boxes, title screens, and instruction manuals in the united states when the games in question were first released in this region.

The thing is that the different console platform should make it obvious which game I am referring to. Everybody knows the difference between NES and SNES.

Ah, but were those the original releases?

• Like 1

Ah, but were those the original releases?

NO! They were Japanese releases. Yes, they came first, but they were renamed when they were released in North America. Period, end of story.

Retconning by Japanese game publishers does not erase what was printed on original North American releases.

how far do you take this?

do you call it an NES or a Famicom?

do you call it a Genesis or a Mega Drive?

do you call him Mega Man or Rock Man?

do you call him M. Bison or Vega?

do you call it Baseball or Yakyuu?

do you call it The Legend of Zelda or Zelda Hyrule Fantasy?

different regions, different names

Many people just put a small j after the title number to differentiate the two versions.I tend not to bother and just say what system it's for because usually it was different. If it wasn't then I always say "the japanese version of..."

Example:

Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Mario Bros. 2j

Final Fantasy II or Final Fantasy IIj

Final Fantasy III or Final Fantasy IIIj

King's Field or King's Field(j)

In these cases, all 8 games are different games altogether. Usually what happened in all these situations was that Japan got something we either never got or didn't get until much later on a newer platform.

So it's like don't expect to buy Final Fantasy III for Nintendo DS and it to be anything like the Super Nintendo game you enjoy. It's Final Fantasy IIIj from the NES/Famicom which came out on 4/27/1990. Final Fantasy III for SNES didn't come out until 4/2/1994, but that was in Japan and they got it first. It didn't take that long for it to come to the USA though.

You know what really confused me chronologically was Bust-A-Move 3 and Bust-A-Move '99. I had absolutely no idea that Bust-A-Move '99 was just Bust-A-Move 3 with stuff added to it. All this time I thought Bust-A-Move 3 was a Sega Saturn exclusive and it turns out it was available on the PS1 and Nintendo 64 as Bust-A-Move 99 which strangely was released after Bust-A-Move 4. So, even though I usually stick to the Playstation for this series I ended up buying the Sega Saturn Version of 3 first just to have the original.

I'm just the type who likes to play everything in chronological order by release date within a series rather than by title. Doesn't matter what part of the world the game comes from, I collect it if it's part of a series. Worldwide, the first release date is held by the first country the game was available. Japan holds a lot of these dates, but the Americas and Europe also have plenty of first release dates. Especially when you either play the pre-Nintendo era or start getting up into the 32-bit era and beyond.

The reason I go for the first release date rather than the local one is graphics similarities between things released in a particular year. Newer games tend to have better graphics as programming on a platform begins to evolve and tricks are learned. Dragon Warrior for NES first came out on 5/27/1986. That is pretty early in the NES's life span so when it became localized in the USA 1989, people could probably tell that the game looked old or primitive for the NES's standards by then.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Lost levels was a fds disk not a cart so game genie never existed for fds disk system. So there are no no codes. I don't what those 4 are for but it can't be because fds never had game genie.

There is many FDS game copiers. Given how the FDS works (basically, the red stuff is just the data storage, and the slab you plug into the Famicom cart port is more or less a cart emuator that store the data from the drive in RAM) (it's pretty much a Starparth Supercharger for the Famicom) it was easy to design a Game Genie like system that would sit between the two.

Now I don't know if it exist. I'm just saying that it was possible technically to do so.

Edited by CatPix

UPDATED URL LINKS FOR GAME GENIE CODES FOR THE JAPANESE SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 REPRODUCTION CARTRIDGE FOR NES FROM THE NEW GAMEHACKING.ORG WEBSITE.

http://gamehacking.org/game/36518

http://gamehacking.org/game/36770

http://gamehacking.org/game/31018

http://gamehacking.org/game/350

Here is some codes I think they may have pulled from the website:

Start on World 2 PAOTAAAA

Start on World 3 ZAOTAAAA

Start on World 4 LAOTAAAA

Start on World 5 GAOTAAAA

Start on World 6 IAOTAAAA

Start on World 7 TAOTAAAA

Start on World 8 AAOTAAAE

Start on World A PANGTGAA

Start on World B PANGTGAA + PAOTAAAA

Start on World C PANGTGAA + ZAOTAAAA

Start on World D PANGTGAA + LAOTAAAA

Always Shoot Fireballs GXOAIPEP

Have Star GXVZIGEY + ASEXIIEI Note: Mario doesn't flash...

Infinite Time SESAAXSX Note: You can't see the counter

Jump in midair (multi jump). EIEYSGEY

• Like 1