IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

Thanks, I have tried both ways but it still gives me the same error. Going into settings and putting in the "alt batch file" didn't give me any luck.

Here's what it gave me:

Compile started at 1/24/2010 6:50:05 PM
Compiling C:\atari2600\testgame\testgame\default.bas

1. What OS? 32bit or 64bit?

2. Are you able to compile it from the command line?

3. Are you setting the environment variables in the settings tab?

-Jeff

1. I'm using Windows Server 2008 32-bit (Got it for free through Microsoft's Dreamspark program), going to upgrade it to R2 soon though.

2. I haven't tried compiling through command line yet.

3. I have set up the environment variables.

Edit: How do I compile through the command line?

Thanks, OfAnAwesome.

Edited by OfAnAwesome

• 2 weeks later...

1. I'm using Windows Server 2008 32-bit (Got it for free through Microsoft's Dreamspark program), going to upgrade it to R2 soon though.

I have this exact same problem. I can't get anything to show, except a blank playfield - that works just fine. Whenever I draw something into it, and then SAVE and then replace the blank playfield with the one I drew something on - - -

"Missing Binary - Could not locate default.bas.bin and could not recompile. Please check to make sure it was compiled correctly."

I also tried all those update things etc... no change.

I am using Windows XP, I think SP2 or 3.

I tried to do everything they suggest in the tutorial video in youtube, but when he says 'you should see the playfield pop up..', I just get that error.

Oh btw, I really hate the installer; it forces you (in these modern days!) to install into C:\Atari2600!

I mean what's up with not asking the user WHERE he would like the program to install itself? Sheesh.. not everyone is a bumbling mainstream idiot who doesn't know where he wants to keep his files, and especially considering it's a

1) Programming language

2) for a very OLD computing technology

you could really understand, how people who are interested in this one, have used computers since the 80's, perhaps even since the 70's, and learned those good habits from those eras to actually arrange things as THEY see fit, not as bill gates sees fit.

(I hate the whole windows registry thing and how every damn program wants to install into c:\ and all those stupid config-paths in Windows dir - who decided that PROGDIR: isn't good enough anymore for configs and such? Sheesh!)

Sorry for ranting a bit, but damn..

- Monk

I have this exact same problem. I can't get anything to show, except a blank playfield - that works just fine. Whenever I draw something into it, and then SAVE and then replace the blank playfield with the one I drew something on - - -

"Missing Binary - Could not locate default.bas.bin and could not recompile. Please check to make sure it was compiled correctly."

I also tried all those update things etc... no change.

I am using Windows XP, I think SP2 or 3.

I tried to do everything they suggest in the tutorial video in youtube, but when he says 'you should see the playfield pop up..', I just get that error.

Oh btw, I really hate the installer; it forces you (in these modern days!) to install into C:\Atari2600!

I mean what's up with not asking the user WHERE he would like the program to install itself? Sheesh.. not everyone is a bumbling mainstream idiot who doesn't know where he wants to keep his files, and especially considering it's a

1) Programming language

2) for a very OLD computing technology

you could really understand, how people who are interested in this one, have used computers since the 80's, perhaps even since the 70's, and learned those good habits from those eras to actually arrange things as THEY see fit, not as bill gates sees fit.

(I hate the whole windows registry thing and how every damn program wants to install into c:\ and all those stupid config-paths in Windows dir - who decided that PROGDIR: isn't good enough anymore for configs and such? Sheesh!)

Sorry for ranting a bit, but damn..

- Monk

Sounds like you're confusing multiple things. Visual bB assumes you already have installed bB correctly. Drawing a playfield is one thing, but you actually have to place the playfield code into a basic file and compile it. The fact that compilation fails is probably because you never installed bB correctly. I recommend you try walking through the bB compiler setup and confirm that is working first.

-Jeff

Sounds like you're confusing multiple things. Visual bB assumes you already have installed bB correctly. Drawing a playfield is one thing, but you actually have to place the playfield code into a basic file and compile it. The fact that compilation fails is probably because you never installed bB correctly. I recommend you try walking through the bB compiler setup and confirm that is working

No. I am not confusing anything. I was just mentioning that stupidity of not allowing the user to decide where to install it (forcing it always to c:\Atari2600, which is pretty friggin' stupid and underestimating the user's intelligence and capacity to use the computer - at least give us a CHOICE, doggone it!) while explaining the problem I have.

Of course I have the playfield code in the basic before I compile it. Plain playfield code compiles just fine, but if there's something drawn in it, it won't compile anymore.

What do you mean 'never installed bB correctly'? It doesn't come with an installer, only the Visual bB does. I did install that 'correctly', if that means letting it put it in the c:\Atari2600 (which I hate).

So it's not about installation or not having the playfield code in the basic editor. There is some other problem that I cannot seem to solve.

Oh well, no Batari basic for me. I guess I'll have to settle with Coolbasic..

- Monk

I think Monk might be using the installer that Daniel Davis created:

www.tinkernut.com/forum/video-tutorial-help/how-to-make-an-atari-game

His installer has nothing to do with batari or jwierer. If you don't like that installer, don't use it.

And about your problem, Monk, why don't you create a new thread about it and post some sample code that doesn't work for you and we'll try it.

Sounds like you're confusing multiple things. Visual bB assumes you already have installed bB correctly. Drawing a playfield is one thing, but you actually have to place the playfield code into a basic file and compile it. The fact that compilation fails is probably because you never installed bB correctly. I recommend you try walking through the bB compiler setup and confirm that is working

No. I am not confusing anything. I was just mentioning that stupidity of not allowing the user to decide where to install it (forcing it always to c:\Atari2600, which is pretty friggin' stupid and underestimating the user's intelligence and capacity to use the computer - at least give us a CHOICE, doggone it!) while explaining the problem I have.

VisualbB doesn't have an installer and doesn't require being installed to c:\atari2600. I would know, I wrote it. Now somebody probably did create their own installer and probably shared it with the rest of the world to make life a little easier. I haven't tried it, so I cannot comment, but calling something stupid is not very gratifying to the authors that develop software for free and share it with individuals like yourself. A little tact might go a long way in getting somebody to help you.

-Jeff

I'll second that. I have had my stuff in c:\atari or something like that. Due to reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows, I now have it in another folder. There was nothing to install. Just drag and drop them where you want and use. Would probably even run off of a flash drive.

I'm still using build 547. I haven't been programming in awhile and just got my Harmony Cart. Don't know what happened, but when I compile now it breaks the program. The title screen works, but when you get in game the joystick movement doesn't.

I had a bug, but I don't totally remember what I did to do it. I opened a game and was annoyed it was taking so long to color code, so I did something and got some kind of error that froze everything up. It said something about "drag and drop" in the window, but I couldn't hit details 'cause it was froze up.

I'm still using build 547. I haven't been programming in awhile and just got my Harmony Cart. Don't know what happened, but when I compile now it breaks the program. The title screen works, but when you get in game the joystick movement doesn't.

I had a bug, but I don't totally remember what I did to do it. I opened a game and was annoyed it was taking so long to color code, so I did something and got some kind of error that froze everything up. It said something about "drag and drop" in the window, but I couldn't hit details 'cause it was froze up.

If it's not compiling then it might be your bB configuration. I would double check you didn't delete any files there first.

-Jeff

I love the application and this could be something I haven't found yet but I would love to see Line numbering added to the view so I can more easily find the line an error references. Thanks for the great app and keep up the good work.

If you get an error, that vbB detects, it will tell you the line number and you can right-click, jump to error. Also as you move around it tells you your line/column location in the status bar at the bottom of the application.

-Jeff

Added a new build today which is just a few bug fixes a new tool for music and sound editing (see screen shot). You can download from the first post. Because AA limits 2MB uploads you'll need to download both files and unzip it to the same folder.

New Features

• New Music and Sound Editor

post-5778-126603165804_thumb.jpg

Fixed Bugs

• Error loading when using a non-US English version of Windows
  • Image converter would generate incorrect code when converting animated gifs to .bas code
  • Trying to add a new item to the project explorer before selecting a project would crash vbB

known Issues

Periodically warning messages not be cleared, locations will be off, or are just plain Wrong. You can hit Refresh, or F5, to force a full check of an open code file should clean it up.

-Jeff

• Like 1

Added a new build today which is just a few bug fixes a new tool for music and sound editing (see screen shot). You can download from the first post. Because AA limits 2MB uploads you'll need to download both files and unzip it to the same folder.

New Features

• New Music and Sound Editor

post-5778-126603165804_thumb.jpg

Fixed Bugs

• Error loading when using a non-US English version of Windows
  • Image converter would generate incorrect code when converting animated gifs to .bas code
  • Trying to add a new item to the project explorer before selecting a project would crash vbB

known Issues

Periodically warning messages not be cleared, locations will be off, or are just plain Wrong. You can hit Refresh, or F5, to force a full check of an open code file should clean it up.

-Jeff

keep up the good work jeff you and batari are doing a service the 2600 community.

I did not know that. I always just counted on my own. Good to know.

I love the application and this could be something I haven't found yet but I would love to see Line numbering added to the view so I can more easily find the line an error references. Thanks for the great app and keep up the good work.

If you get an error, that vbB detects, it will tell you the line number and you can right-click, jump to error. Also as you move around it tells you your line/column location in the status bar at the bottom of the application.

-Jeff

Will check files now. Thing is, it compiles, but the joystick movement doesn't work, button seems to work. I can take the last good copy of my game, rename it to a new version, compile and it won't work, so it's not something with my code..

If it's not compiling then it might be your bB configuration. I would double check you didn't delete any files there first.

-Jeff

Wow.. the music thing is freakin sweet. Been waiting for something like that for a long time, thanks! Know what it needs, though? A clear button to clear out the note section without me having to do it manually.

I'll have to wait to see how to use it on RT's page. Right now I've got some simple tunes made, but need some pauses here and there.

So I figured o0ut my problem compiling.. problem with my code.. I noticed I had "filename_46a_mod4.bas" --- mod4 I must have been doing something to and broke it. I found "45a_mod3.bas" works.

Edited by yuppicide

Wow.. the music thing is freakin sweet. Been waiting for something like that for a long time, thanks! Know what it needs, though? A clear button to clear out the note section without me having to do it manually.

Right click in the Data Work Box and select Clear All. There was a Clear All button, but it was too dangerous. Better to have it hidden in a right click menu so you can't clear the data by mistake. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have about it. Your questions might help me to write better instructions.

Instructions for how to use as regular data statements would be nice too.

I am currently using sdata to store 40 levels..

My brain is currently annoyed.. I've got music working on a title screen, want it to continue in between levels. I think data is the answer.

Or you might have to just make the program run over the data again. I'll make sure to add something about how to use data instead of sdata, but that might have to wait until the second draft. I'm still trying to figure out how to present the info and where everything should go.

The first draft is done:

www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#music_and_sound_editor

I'm still trying to figure out where things should go and what else should be added. Hopefully more questions and suggestions will help make it better.

Your link just takes me to the top of the VbB page. Doing a find on the page comes up with nothing containing the letters "music".

The first draft is done:

www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#music_and_sound_editor

I'm still trying to figure out where things should go and what else should be added. Hopefully more questions and suggestions will help make it better.

Your link just takes me to the top of the VbB page. Doing a find on the page comes up with nothing containing the letters "music".

The first draft is done:

The link is working for me?

When that happens, it usually means you're seeing an old version of the page in your cache. Refresh/reload the page. If that doesn't work, try hitting Ctrl + F5. If that doesn't work, try clearing your cache. If that doesn't work, we might be separated by time (like in the movie The Lake House starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock). What is the year, month, and day where you are? :D