IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

Prerequsites

- If you are not running Vista then you'll need to make sure the .NET Framework 3.0 isinstalled

That said, do you have any plans to release the source (privately would be OK) as I wonder if it will build under Mono?

That would be slick, but, in reading that wiki link I see an issue:

Implementation of .NET Framework 3.0 is under development under an experimental Mono subproject called Olive, but the availability of a Mono framework supporting .NET 3.0 is still not planned yet.

I saw that too, but I was hoping this would build under the 2.0 framework. Or if it's replying on just one or two APIs from 3.0, maybe with a little work, it could be rewritten to build under 2.0.

I wish I could say it was awesome...

'Could not locate vbdwizcode.bas.bin and could not recompile. Please check to make sure it was compiled correctly.'

WTF?

And yes, I did try to compile...but it seems to blissfully ignore me clicking compile.

Edited by Kamaria

I wish I could say it was awesome...

'Could not locate vbdwizcode.bas.bin and could not recompile. Please check to make sure it was compiled correctly.'

WTF?

And yes, I did try to compile...but it seems to blissfully ignore me clicking compile.

Hmmm... wrong location for your batariBasic compiler? If bB isn't installed configured correctly, that's a likely response.

-Jeff

What are your favorite games created with bB so far? What would you most like to see developed using this IDE? Any suggestions on how the language could be improved? I wish there was an official spiral bound bB manual. I don't have a printer and I'm sick of reading it on my screen. It looks like this will really help shorten the "staring at the same s^&*" aspects of using this language for me. I hope you will be able to release an update for use with 1.1 as well.

Well I am actually a big fan of your work and I would like to see a successful side scroller released at some point. The thing that I find limiting about bB is really the playfields. I wish I could make more granular playfields and I wish there was an easier way to detect the direction of playfield collisions. Seems like a lot of logic has to written for graceful collision detection. Most everything else I can live with.

-Jeff

The next time I feel like doing something besides what I'm supposed to be doing, would an unofficial VbB page on my web site be helpful? Although I'm not that good at it, I could do my best to write instructions and list some of the cool features that may not be obvious to a new user. I could also make a couple of YouTube videos showing some of the cool things you can do.

The next time I feel like doing something besides what I'm supposed to be doing, would an unofficial VbB page on my web site be helpful? Although I'm not that good at it, I could do my best to write instructions and list some of the cool features that may not be obvious to a new user. I could also make a couple of YouTube videos showing some of the cool things you can do.

Yes please do. I'm terrible with documentation and there are a lot of hidden features that are not intuitively obvious.

-Jeff

Yes please do. I'm terrible with documentation and there are a lot of hidden features that are not intuitively obvious.

OK, whenever I feel like procrastinating, I work on the new page. I might have to send you a few PMs for clarification.

Beware! the .NET framework totally broke a bunch of apps on my computer, most noticeably activesync to my Phone.PDA and bluetooth... it also made my machine run even more like a dog than normal...

Although this app is very cool, it's obvious that it is too much for my machine.... Older computer users beware!!!!

Beware! the .NET framework totally broke a bunch of apps on my computer, most noticeably activesync to my Phone.PDA and bluetooth... it also made my machine run even more like a dog than normal...

Although this app is very cool, it's obvious that it is too much for my machine.... Older computer users beware!!!!

That sounds more like a coincidence. My understanding is that .NET frameworks don't override. If an application was written for 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, etc... they continue to use those binaries. Regarding: ActiveSync. That frigging applicatin stops working for me unexpectedly all the time regardless if I make changes or not :) I just sync over the wire now - always works.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

OK, something's not right. I started a new project. I had it include the default sprite and default playfield. I made a couple of playfields and put the code into default.bas. With the default.bas screen showing I go to the Build menu and click Compile. Nothing happens. Right clicking default.bas in the Project Explorer window doesn't do anything either. The path to 2600basic.exe is in the bB Compiler part of Settings. What do I need to do?

OK, something's not right. I started a new project. I had it include the default sprite and default playfield. I made a couple of playfields and put the code into default.bas. With the default.bas screen showing I go to the Build menu and click Compile. Nothing happens. Right clicking default.bas in the Project Explorer window doesn't do anything either. The path to 2600basic.exe is in the bB Compiler part of Settings. What do I need to do?

Post a screenshot of your settings.

-Jeff

No problem.

Configuration looks fine, assuming the paths are correct. No errors or messages after compiling? I can't tell because you have it minimized across the bottom. You can post your .bas file and I can see if it compiles on mine.

-Jeff

Good catch. I fixed that, but still got the same errors. Anyway, since everybody wants to see the code, here it is:

rem batari Basic Program

rem Created 4/26/2008 4:09:39 PM by Visual bB Version 1.0.0.526

set kernel multisprite

El

playfield:

...............XX...............

..............XXXX..............

.............XXXXXX.............

............XXXXXXXX............

...........XXXXXXXXXX...........

..........XXXXXXXXXXXX..........

end

drawscreen

playfield:

..............XXXX..............

.............XXXXXX.............

............XXXXXXXX............

...........XXXXXXXXXX...........

..........XXXXXXXXXXXX..........

end

drawscreen

goto El

ETA - The code in the IDE is indented, even though it doesn't show in this post.

Edited by jbs30000

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but one thing I notice is that you have several spaces in your directory path. Do you have the compile option and run (emulator) option set up to handle that sort of directory path correctly (i.e., by enclosing things in quotes where appropriate)?

Michael

Nope, still no go. Oh well, no problem, Crimson Editor works just fine.

Have you tried closing VbB and restarting it? The only problem I've had that is similar to this is when I screw up the code of a program with some silly mistake and the bin file can't be found because it didn't compile. If you try it with a .bas file that is error-free that you know is working properly and you still get the error, I don't know what to tell you. If all paths are correct, your program has no errors, and you have that .NET Framework 3.0 stuff on your computer, it should be working.

Nope, still no go. Oh well, no problem, Crimson Editor works just fine.

As far as I can tell it's just a problem with your code. Technically it will compile, but it's not going to show anything for a multisprite kernel. This is what I think you want to accomplish.

test.bas

BTW if compilation succeeds it will tell you in the message area on the bottom. From your screenshot I can only see it's started. BTW no need to put quotes around path, I handle that internally. Also since you know Qbert compiles you can create new project and copy the code into a .bas file. If you right click on the .bas file from the explorer you can generate items and it will create all the sprites and playfields that are in the code so you don't have to recreate them from scratch.

rem batari Basic Program
rem Created 4/26/2008 4:09:39 PM by Visual bB Version 1.0.0.526
set kernel multisprite
const screenheight=12
pfheight = 7

COLUBK = $0F :  COLUPF = $00

El
playfield:
...............X
..............XX
.............XXX
............XXXX