IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

How about this.. I'm in the player sprite designer.. let's say the player sprite is 80 tall, which requires me to scroll up and down to draw it all since it won't fit on my monitor.

How about making that window two separate things. On the left is where you draw the sprite. On the right is the preview. When you scroll down make the preview stay on screen so I can see it while I am drawing.

I tried implementing that once, but there is something about how it counts ticks when you scroll in a tab control that would cause it to keep scrolling up. I could never figure out if it was something I was doing or a limitation of the control. Eventually I just gave up on keeping preview always on the screen.

Next, when I am drawing my sprite and let's say I have scrolled down, but then let's say I switch to something else like the internet for example.. when I come back to my sprite it starts me all the way at the top again. What I'd like for it is to not do that and stay where I had left off working. This way I can switch out of VBB to visit the internet and look at something for what I am drawing in game. Then I can switch back and continue drawing.

Yeah I noticed that as well. Definitely not something I am forcing it to do. Once again I think it's a limitation of scrolling in a tab control.

-Jeff

I don't use syntax checking. But why does it correct my capitalization? Reason for this? Maybe that can be toggled on and off too?

For example I want to do:

REM ** To make this work you blah blah blah

It automatically makes my "to" lowercase. Same thing with the word Speed.. automatically lowercase.

Not sure what I did, but the sprite designer no longer works for me. It doesn't draw. Dunno what I did to break it.

I am using v544.

For example, I load up my game that I was designing sprites in last night. It worked fine last night.

When I open up the sprite file it's drawing nothing!

I tried setting a color and it still doesn't draw.

When I go to select a background color I get the following error message:

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Current cell cannot be set to an invisible cell."

Here's the JIT Debugging stuff:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: Current cell cannot be set to an invisible cell.
  at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.set_CurrentCell(DataGridViewCell value)
  at VisualbB.Palette.Palette_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
VisualbB
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.544
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.544
CodeBase: file:///C:/atari2600/VisualbB.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Not sure what I did, but the sprite designer no longer works for me. It doesn't draw. Dunno what I did to break it.

I am using v544.

For example, I load up my game that I was designing sprites in last night. It worked fine last night.

When I open up the sprite file it's drawing nothing!

I tried setting a color and it still doesn't draw.

When I go to select a background color I get the following error message:

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Current cell cannot be set to an invisible cell."

If you peek in the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VisualbB] what are the settings for these?

"_DEFAULTBACKCOLOR"

"_DEFAULTPLAYERCOLOR"

"_DEFAULTPLAYFIELDCOLOR"

-Jeff

0F

"_DEFAULTBACKCOLOR"

"_DEFAULTPLAYERCOLOR"

"_DEFAULTPLAYFIELDCOLOR"

-Jeff

Ok those seem fine. Have you checked the contents of your sprite? Does it look normal? Can you open other sprites or create new ones? BTW if you don't mind resetting all your vbB settings you can close the application, delete that registry key, and re-open the vbB. It will recreate the defaults. Just in case it's a setting issue...

-Jeff

I will delete the registry entries and reload it.

I have test.spr. I draw all my sprites in there, but don't save it. As I've said in the past, I don't use the "projects" ever. The only reason I am over there is because I find your sprite editor easier to use than me typing manually X.X.X, etc. The sprites I worked on the 15th I believe are normal and were in my game as soon as I designed them. The sprites the following night the 16th I couldn't do anything and didn't draw anything.

Can I open other sprites or create a new one? Not sure as I don't use those features. I don't save sprites. I put them right in the game and then save my game.

Ok those seem fine. Have you checked the contents of your sprite? Does it look normal? Can you open other sprites or create new ones? BTW if you don't mind resetting all your vbB settings you can close the application, delete that registry key, and re-open the vbB. It will recreate the defaults. Just in case it's a setting issue...

-Jeff

That fix worked. Has anyone had this problem before:

I have a program called skull_island_test_6.bas. It compiles and runs fine. Occasionally I get this under "Warnings"

"item yellow, description is a duplicate label definition, line 544, column 0, path c:\atari2600\bB\skull_island_test_6.bas"

Here's the thing! I don't even have that program open right now (although I did have it open earlier) and it's giving me the message when I am working on something totally different! I'm working on "marquee_mark_and_the_funky_bunch_v100.bas" (a marquee demo program).

It will do it sometimes when the skull program is open as well and if I look through the program there is no duplicate label that I can see. It will still let me compile and run the program.

What's funny is I try to compile my current program it says the message.. I don't even have the word yellow anywhere in my program!

I'll try closing and restarting.

Edited by yuppicide

No.. not an old message.

Okay, as a test, I just fired up VBB.. loaded one program. Compiled fine. Loaded that skull program and just hit ENTER on any line and it gave me the error message about a duplicate label. Yet, it compiles and runs just fine!

Are you sure you're not reading an old message that is still sitting there in the list? If I remember correctly, unless you clear the messages, they will sit there until you close and use VbB the next time.
Edited by yuppicide

No.. not an old message.

Okay, as a test, I just fired up VBB.. loaded one program. Compiled fine. Loaded that skull program and just hit ENTER on any line and it gave me the error message about a duplicate label. Yet, it compiles and runs just fine!

Are you sure you're not reading an old message that is still sitting there in the list? If I remember correctly, unless you clear the messages, they will sit there until you close and use VbB the next time.

I think I fixed that in a private build I sent you.

Will try that. Sorry.

No.. not an old message.

Will try that. Sorry.

No.. not an old message.

If that doesn't work, please PM me the source so I can step through it and see what is happening.

-Jeff

I am using the build you gave me.. 546. I get this error often in the sprite editor:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application ... blah blah blah .... Requested Clipboard operation did not suceed."

This happens when I am trying a sprite, I'll go to Grab -> Pixels. Doesn't always happen. I have to quit and reopen the program. Clicking continue will work and I can continue to work, but I will then get the error message every time with sprites, so quitting is really the only option.

Here's the JIT debug:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: Requested Clipboard operation did not succeed.
  at System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.ThrowIfFailed(Int32 hr)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetDataObject(Object data, Boolean copy, Int32 retryTimes, Int32 retryDelay)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetText(String text, TextDataFormat format)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetText(String text)
  at VisualbB.mainIDE.PixelsToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
VisualbB
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.546
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.546
CodeBase: file:///C:/atari2600/VisualbB.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I am using the build you gave me.. 546. I get this error often in the sprite editor:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application ... blah blah blah .... Requested Clipboard operation did not suceed."

This happens when I am trying a sprite, I'll go to Grab -> Pixels. Doesn't always happen. I have to quit and reopen the program. Clicking continue will work and I can continue to work, but I will then get the error message every time with sprites, so quitting is really the only option.

That's pretty bizarre because all that does is store the contents of the sprite as a string into the clipboard. I'll send you something that traps that error, but it's as if you don't have access to your own system clipboard which probably indicates a permissions problem on your PC.

-Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just got a new computer and so I downloaded bB. I was using Crimson Editor and decided to try Visual Basic. But I'm confused. I can't find a place to type in code.

Have you looked at this page:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html

And have you tried the Project Wizard?

I just got a new computer and so I downloaded bB. I was using Crimson Editor and decided to try Visual Basic. But I'm confused. I can't find a place to type in code.

Vbb has a concept of projects, which will create a project folder and then from there you create .bas files for the code, .pla for playfields, and .spr for sprites. So the first thing you want to do is create a new project, or you can use the default one. From the Project Explorer on the right you can right click and add an new item (code, playfield, or sprite) and then you can open up any of the files and depending on what type the correct editor will open. It's a more sophisticated management system, but it's easier once you figure it out.

-Jeff

What I don't understand is where is the thing in which you type up the actual code, like, for instance:

a=(rand/64)+1

if a=0 then goto sdfsdgsdg

if a=1 then goto sdgkjsdhg

etc...

is this the Code Editor, or should I do this in Notepad, or what?

Yes, the Code Editor is what you use to type in your code. Since you're not using the Project Wizard, maybe this will help:

2. Create a folder where you usually put your bB games and name it something. Anything. Whatever you want. If you can't think of anything, how about Space Nuggets?
    _
  3. Copy an existing .bas file that you already have on your computer and put the copy in your new folder. If you're using a new computer and don't have any .bas files lying around, just download a .bas file from this forum. Any .bas file. Just pick one.
    _
  4. Rename the copy of the .bas file to whatever the name of your game might be, such as space_nuggets_2009y_09m_13d_2238t.bas and you'll be all set.
    _
  5. Now open VbB and make sure you're looking at the Start Page. If you're not on the Start Page, click the Start Page tab (that's the tab that has Start Page on it near the top of the screen, but below the icons).
    _
  6. See the blue bar labeled Recent Projects? In case you don't see it, look a couple of inches down from the Start Page tab. See it? Yeah, the blue bar. That's where your recent projects will be listed. Below that are two buttons. Click the button labeled Open Project and select the new folder that you created.
    _
  7. The .bas file will now be shown in the Project Explorer. Double click on the .bas file and it will open.
    _
  8. Delete any code you don't want to keep, which will probably be most of it, then save.

I see that you already figured it out before I finished my post, but I'll leave that for other people who are dazed and confused.

OK, I figured that out on my own, but when I try to compile something, it says it can't find sed.exe (whatever that is.) even though it's in the folder that says "sed".

Check out this post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/135778-10-25-08-batari-basic-build/page__view__findpost__p__1641965

It might help.

I believe if you read the instructions for installation of bB your sed.exe should be moved out of the sed folder into the main bB folder or where the compiler is.. one of those.... Someone correct me if I am wrong. I believe this was done due to licensing.

OK, i figured that out on my own, but when I try to compile something, it says it can't find sed.exe (whatever that is.) even though it's in the folder that says "sed".

Edited by yuppicide