IGNORED

Swapz - a new puzzle game by Fandal and PG

pseudografx

After our last year's contribution to the 50th issue of FLOP diskmag, a year later we would like to proudly present our new game for the 51st issue (you can download it at http://flop.atari.org ).

Its name is SWAPZ and it is based on a game which is known under names like Bejeweled, Diamond Mine or Zookeeper.

post-6830-1208159077_thumb.png

Credits:

Code: Fandal

Game design, gfx and music: PG

Your objective is to create rows and columns of three or more symbols of the same kind by swapping the neighbouring symbols either vertically or horizontally.

post-6830-1208159254_thumb.png

Controls:

Start or FIRE to play

Space bar to show hi-score screen

Ingame:

Joystick for cursor movement

FIRE + direction to move the selected symbol in the desired direction

OPTION to toggle among sfx, music or silence

ESC to abort game

We hope you will have fun playing our new production.

You can download the game in Fandal's archive at http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=5770

Edited by pseudografx

Still going.

Some nice additions would be:

- Display the level constantly, or at least when you die/in the high scores.

- Smart bomb. That "last resort" when you have no valid moves left.

PS - the occasional "sparkle" effect is a nice little touch too.

Edited by Rybags

PS - the occasional "sparkle" effect is a nice little touch too.

Btw. one kind of the sparkle effect (the one that shows a diagonal line going twice over a symbol, accompanied with a decent sound effect) is actually a hint for the next move ;-) - though you have to wait 8 seconds without touching the joystick to see it.

The other one (a "rotating" star-like animation) is just a decoration, which is shown randomly.

Edited by pseudografx

Cool. I thought so, but one time I tried and it was a "dead link".

Up to L3 again... this time strategy in hand:

You seem to reap most benefits by scouring the top layers first, then go for stuff down lower when opportunities run out.

and... start Level 4.

Edited by Rybags

PMSL @ "piss my pants".

It is very addictive.

Changing colour scheme would be another nice addition.

A "level code" to be able to skip ahead would be a vital addition (guess there's always "Save State" with the emu)

Edited by Rybags

PMSL @ "piss my pants".

It is very addictive.

Changing colour scheme would be another nice addition.

A "level code" to be able to skip ahead would be a vital addition (guess there's always "Save State" with the emu)

It would be impossible to incorporate level passwords since the levels are always generated randomly. Saving to disk would be a solution, we will consider this if we decide to do a more advanced version.

Oop, yeah - shoulda thought of that.

Just the ability to start at a level you've already visited, then.

Damn Save State isn't working properly for me... probably because I have 3 versions of the emu installed.

OK, got things fixed up a bit.

With the help of a restart from L6 from a savegame, 12415 on Level 7.

Restart 7, 24390 on L10.

Edited by Rybags

Great game!

One little thing: the trigger seems not to be sensed every time, cause I got many times wrong moves, as I had pressed the trigger to late, but I did not. I don´t think it´s a emulator based problem, but I just only played it there.

btw my first attempt resulted in this little score:

post-3781-1208197108_thumb.png

Great job guys!

I had longed for an Atari port of Bejeweled for quite a long time. Once I even tried to convince Fandal it would be nice if he made it. :) Nothing happened and I think I can safely blame Fandal for forgetting the whole idea. (Meanwhile I had to entertain myself by playing Bejeweled, Gweled and Jools on my PC. :)) But then PG came and used his influence on Fandal which was very nice of him. :grin:

BTW: I know that the Flop diskmag can be understood by not more than the combined 15 million Czechs and Slovaks (and some brave Polish readers :D) but it's still worth opening, if only to see Raster's great cover picture and hear his nice music.

And for those daring to arrow through its contents there are some more games adapted for the Multijoy, by who else than Fandal... ;)