IGNORED

Genesis Repairs

Has anyone taken a Sega Genesis Apart? I just picked one up at a garage sale this weekend. The CD side works great but the cartridge side does not. I figured it might be dirty or bent contacts in the cartridge bay and tried to take the case apart for cleaning/repairs. I got the screws out, but the two halves of the case only seem to wnat to open at one end. Not sure if I am missing something, but don't want to break the console. Has anyone toyed with these before? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dane

Well, for whatever reason, when I went back to try opening the case again, it came right apart. Now sure what the deal was. Cleaned and restretched the connectors and all is working well. It's good when you can fix problems before the answers come in. :D

Well, for whatever reason, when I went back to try opening the case again, it came right apart. Now sure what the deal was. Cleaned and restretched the connectors and all is working well. It's good when you can fix problems before the answers come in. :D

Is this an actual Genesis or a JVC model? Is the CD built in or a separate component? Either way, great score! In all of my garage sales, the most I've ever gotten was an Atari 2600 w/ some joysticks (couldn't beat the .25 price!)

BU

I am pretty sure it is an actual Sega model. Two parts, that separate and are separated by a heat shield. I spent some time working on the connectors. Each cartridge works, though sometimes I have to reseat them a few times to get them to work. The CD side works perfectly. Not bad for $15. I also picked up a box of 2600 games and controllers at the same place for another $15. Nothing stellar in the bunch, but a few R4's and one R5. I am really getting addicted to watching the garage and estate sales on the weekends. I have alot of Friday's off, which seems to be a good day to check out sales that start early. I have also had some luck with a few of the local thrift shops, which is good cause I spent a little too much so far on eBay buying some hard to find games.