IGNORED

Really obscure consoles

iswitt

I forgot about this one, it is called an EX-Game. I dont really know a lot about it, but it has interchangeable screens, and they are the "games" (which are all variations on a theme, infact if you change the screen mid game, your progress is the same). I got it for free a couple years ago. here is a pic anyone else have one?

post-12776-1211226611_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

My most obscure consoles would probably have to be the Casio Loopy and Executive Games Television Tennis. Television Tennis was one of the first Pong clones for the homemade market and the Casio Loopy was the last console produced by Casio. It was specifically targeted for girls and it sold only in Japan. It quickly disappeared. The games are dress-ups and whatnot, although there's also an action-adventure one with a girl and her puppy doing hijinks.

I was hoping people had a video of the Super Micro working. In addition to me being curious, I'm writing something on handheld consoles and the Super Micro is an early testament to its development.

Gee, all I have is a Virtual Boy. I did find a complete boxed Sega Master System at a Value Village a few years ago. It looks like it had barely been used (if at all.) I've barely used it since. How obscure is a box for the SMS. I'm guessing my SMS and Saturn are middle-of-the-road obscure, but Sega's most famous console has to be the Genesis.

Funny how a thread can be resurrected nearly 2 years later and people just continue on like it's new! Cool by me...

Subject seemed to be consoles, but since everyone has been including computers etc, other than the Fairchild or 130XE, I guess these are my most obscure:

Science Fair Microcomputer Trainer (I have CIB). It's pretty cool, there are a bunch of games in ROM already that you can wire up to play, or you can program your own:

post-16769-12666229047_thumb.jpg

Next up would be my mint and complete (unused, I think) Sharp PC 1500A Pocket Computer with printer, dock, case, and all collateral. This thing is very cool as well:

post-16769-126662326942_thumb.jpg

post-16769-126662327827_thumb.jpg

I don't think I really have any obscure consoles any more.

Perhaps the most obscure gaming device I have is a Mattel Electronics Dungeons & Dragons LCD hand-held. I bought it new in '82 or so, and still have it after all these years. The box is long gone, though. :(

When I was collecting (before I sold it all), my most obscure system was probably the NEC PC-FX and the PC Engine DUO-RX (Obscure outside of Japan, anyway). Then there were the less-commons, like the 3DO, CD-i, Neo AES, Neo CD, VB, yada-yada-yada, but I wouldn't classify them so much as obscure.

I have a complete Tapwave Zodiac system on the way in the mail right now. I think that's obscure-enough (and will be more-so in the future). I also plan on picking up a ntsc CD32 soon, so I guess I can add that to the list (It's obscure outside the UK, anyway).

So no one here has a FM Towns Marty?.. :)

Edited by Austin

My brother used to have one of those Micro Computer Trainer sets like Mirage posted pics of. It was definitely one of the cooler "project kits".

Two years ago I mentioned that I had owned an Arcadia 2001 and a Watara Supervision. Now we can add a Hyperscan and a LaserActive to that list. Although I've got quite a bit of use of three of those, my Hyperscan hardly gets used at all.

My brother used to have one of those Micro Computer Trainer sets like Mirage posted pics of. It was definitely one of the cooler "project kits".

Two years ago I mentioned that I had owned an Arcadia 2001 and a Watara Supervision. Now we can add a Hyperscan and a LaserActive to that list. Although I've got quite a bit of use of three of those, my Hyperscan hardly gets used at all.

You must have spent a lot for that LaserActive. They go for thousands in eBay.

Well, it's not as expensive as the Atari Cosmos I just saw sold (working at that), but still a pretty penny.

Anyone have a Colorvision? I wonder whether the Palmtex Super Micro is like it ...

For me, the systems most people come over and have never heard of

Coleco ADAM

Action Max (which I too have never, and never will use)

Famicom & FC Disk Drive

and surprisingly most people have never seen or heard of the INTV II and its hardware (ECS System Changer, Synthesizer)

so theres two versions of the add-ons?

I have alot of consoles that people who arent "in the know" would find obscure. The first being my Neo GEo AES systems (japanese and english). I have had friends come over and pulled this behemoth out to play it and they were like "What in the hell is that thing???" Yes....I hang out with some losers......lol. I also play my Neo Geo pocket color quite frequently....especially anywhere that involves waiting. You should see these little kids playing thier DS systems.......looking at me weird. The last would be my Neo Geo CD-Z. Same stry....I get the "what the hell is that" response.

So in closing.....nothing really obscure to us here on the forums........just to those casual gamers.....lol

I'm not sure if it counts, but I have a JP SMS, which is a bit different from the US one and has some nice extras. I don't have a SG-1000, but I have some SG-1000 games to play on the JP SMS. The odd thing about the system is that it actually seems to be a bit lighter than the US system and has no RF (not that it matters since the A/V cables work just fine and RF would be a pain on a JP system anyway).

I'm not sure if it counts, but I have a JP SMS, which is a bit different from the US one and has some nice extras. I don't have a SG-1000, but I have some SG-1000 games to play on the JP SMS. The odd thing about the system is that it actually seems to be a bit lighter than the US system and has no RF (not that it matters since the A/V cables work just fine and RF would be a pain on a JP system anyway).

Wasn't it called Sega mark III in Japan?

A lot of the consoles I own aren't particularly rare, but I do own a few iterations of them that are hardly seen...

16-bit:

Intellivision - Radio Shack Tandyvision One

Intellivision - Sears Super Video Arcade

TurboGrafx-16 Turbo Express, with TurboVision TV tuner

Sega Genesis CDX

Sega Genesis Nomad

8-bit:

Ok, so these are fairly common, but I seriously doubt anyone I know has even heard of them...

Magnavox Odyssey², with The Voice

Sega Master System

Pongs:

Since many competitors launched their own forgettable "me-too" Pong systems, I'd consider most of them to be obscure.

Radio Shack TV Scoreboard (is this a phone or a Pong device?)

Magnavox Odyssey 2000

Unisonic Tournament 2000 (with a light gun that would fail the "point this at a cop" test)

Bentley Compu-Vision

APF TV Fun

And a few that aren't strictly gaming consoles, but whose more common iterations are often used for gaming...

Commodore SX-64

Franklin Ace 1200, w/original keyboard and monitor

VTech Laser 128 (these two Apple IIe compatibles were in the same roadside find)

I've still got boxes and boxes of vintage computer crap to go through... no telling what I'll uncover.

What is the most obscure console you own? When I say obscure, I mean systems like the Apple Pippin, Fairchild Channel F, Mattel Hyperscan, Xavix, Sega SG-1000, etc. It's interesting to find those types of systems floating around out there sometimes.

We have this thread every few months, but here's some of the more obscure ones that I own...

Odyssey

RCA Studio II

Channel F

Channel F II

Astrocade

DINA 2-in-One

Vectrex

Virtual Boy

Microvision

Jaguar

APF M-1000

Arcadia 2001

Game.com

InteractiveVision

XavixPort

R-Zone

N-Gage

CDX

Nuon

X'Eye

And calling those obscure is a bit of a stretch, so I won't list things like Odyssey^2, 32X, et cetera. For a full list, check out the link in my sig.

Edited by Rev. Rob