IGNORED

What should we do for the "Vintage Shodown" this year?

Rhindle The Red

What should we do for the "Vintage Shodown" this year?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do for the "Vintage Shodown" this year?

• Character Shodown (double elimination tournament style)
    • Game Shodown (single or double elimination)
    • Vintage Publisher Shodown (Round-robin)
    • System Shodown (Round-robin)
    • Some other form of Tournament.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm gearing up for the big Summer Tournament, so let's decide what we want to do.

If we go with characters again, I will use a double elimination formula, as we did single last time. The previous winner (Pitfall Harry) will be ineligible.

For Game titles, we'll open it up to more systems and can do a single or double elimination.

If we do Publishers or Systems, there would be fewer entries, so a round-robin style would be used, with each round covering a different aspect of gaming (who or which has the better Arcade games, action games, graphics, etc.).

I'm also open to any additional suggestions, so if you've got a tournament style in mind, feel free to speak up.

Assuming people don't lie, the Round-Robin style could mean the 2600 would not win a System Shodown. If the 2600 has to square off against the ColecoVision for "Who has the better graphics" or "Who has the more accurate Arcade translations", I think the 2600 would lose that face-off. There are plenty of categories that the 2600 *could* and probably *would* win, but also a lot of places where it could easily lose.

Assuming people don't lie, the Round-Robin style could mean the 2600 would not win a System Shodown. If the 2600 has to square off against the ColecoVision for "Who has the better graphics" or "Who has the more accurate Arcade translations", I think the 2600 would lose that face-off. There are plenty of categories that the 2600 *could* and probably *would* win, but also a lot of places where it could easily lose.

Coleco has better Arcade translations than the 2600? No way! What about Space Invaders, Asteroids, Missile Command, Battlezone and Berzerk?

Maybe Coleco wins with graphics, but not with gameplay, reliability, quality and design of controllers, and way more cool games. I say bring it on!

Edited by accousticguitar

Coleco has better Arcade translations than the 2600? No way! What about Space Invaders, Asteroids, Missile Command, Battlezone and Berzerk?

The phrase I used was "more accurate". And while Berzerk is pretty darn close and all are fun, they aren't nearly as "accurate" as the ColecoVision conversions. Anyway, the point is that in a round-robin style tournament, there are plenty of places where the 2600 *could* lose, as compared to a straight-up popularity vote, where it will pretty much mop up the floor with everything.

The phrase I used was "more accurate". And while Berzerk is pretty darn close and all are fun, they aren't nearly as "accurate" as the ColecoVision conversions. Anyway, the point is that in a round-robin style tournament, there are plenty of places where the 2600 *could* lose, as compared to a straight-up popularity vote, where it will pretty much mop up the floor with everything.

That would be tough to accurately determine since I no longer have a Coleco, but I rate gameplay as extremely important and I was never impressed with the gameplay of Coleco games, so I would still have to give my vote to Atari. After all, if the "fun" isn't converted, then it's not an accurate conversion. :D

I voted for games but I would rather see the games in a round robin style match. Best graphics, gameplay, replayability, control, etc. In the end the games are the whole reason we're here, not the companies or the capability of the systems. It's all about the games. However, a single elimination thing with an "overall" score would be much more likely to turn into a popularity match than comparing several elements that make up the most important aspects of a game. Just my 2 cents.

The problem with doing games as a Round-Robin is that we'd have to severly limit the number of titles just to keep the number of matchups to a manageable level. Publishers or systems can be reasonably kept to twelve or less without feeling anyone *really* deserving would be left out. But trying to cut the list of games worthy of competing that low would be difficult to say the least.

Still, something to consider...

Ya but with the 2600 I'm pretty sure it would end up being Adventure as the winner and I can say that unbias as I'm not huge fan of the game but I know it's a pivotal game in video game history. Without Adventure there would be no Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior,ect.

Ya but with the 2600 I'm pretty sure it would end up being Adventure as the winner and I can say that unbias as I'm not huge fan of the game but I know it's a pivotal game in video game history. Without Adventure there would be no Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior,ect.

Only problem with this assumption is that Adventure is third on the top 100 list. Pitfall I and II are higher up. I personally think anyone of those three can win it.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1397803

Edited by homerwannabee