IGNORED

Free C++ program

iratanam

Anyone know of a good C++ compiler, A friend says if I want to learn to program C++ is the way to go.

Thanks

There's quite a few out there... Just do a google for it.

One I liked when I was learning was Bloodshed

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

I actually downloaded that about 3 days ago. what I am looking for now is a good book.. I used to have a c++ for dummies but can't find it now. anyone have any book recommendations?

I got the bloodshed c++ and a book but the book is very simplistic like stuff but useful. I have some simple input output programs running on my laptop, but wanted to ask if anyone has links to info on simplistic graphics usage in c++. I'm looking for stuff like drawing lines, circles, squares just very basic. It is not nearly as obvious as say qbasic or powerbasic.

• 1 month later...
I got the bloodshed c++ and a book but the book is very simplistic like stuff but useful. I have some simple input output programs running on my laptop, but wanted to ask if anyone has links to info on simplistic graphics usage in c++. I'm looking for stuff like drawing lines, circles, squares just very basic. It is not nearly as obvious as say qbasic or powerbasic.

thats been my problem with learning from books, they only cover basic I/O functions (which are fundamental to writing a program of course) but they never really tell you about functions for plotting pixels on a screen.

thats been my problem with learning from books, they only cover basic I/O functions (which are fundamental to writing a program of course) but they never really tell you about functions for plotting pixels on a screen.

That's because C++ has no graphics functions. Those are a part of graphics APIs, of which there are countless varieties.

I spent the first six years of my professional programming career using C++. That said, I believe that in today's world, if you want to get into programming, it makes more sense to go with Java or C#. There are excellent IDEs available for free for both platforms - Eclipse for Java, and Visual Studio Express Edition for C#. The advantage of these more modern languages is that there is a much more active community of developers and learning materials available, including downloadable step-by-step tutorial videos.

Here is an example of detailed instructions for creating a Missile Command clone in .NET.

Here is an example of programming Asteroids in Java.

Both Java and C# are based on the C++ syntax (...which is itself an object-oriented enhancement of the "C" language). If you're interested in a completely different approach to learning programming concepts in a friendly, interactive "select-from-menus" approach, you might check out the Alice project.

I spent the first six years of my professional programming career using C++. That said, I believe that in today's world, if you want to get into programming, it makes more sense to go with Java or C#.

I tend to agree. If you're new to programming, and you want to specifically do game programming, Java or C# is probably the place to start. You can learn all of the same fundamentals of object-oriented programming that you would learn in C++ without having to worry as much about low-level stuff. If you do insist on using C++, though, the Allegro game programming library is pretty good package to use to give you some basic graphics capabilities to play around with...

Ben