IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 25 * Super Breakout*

Atari5200

Hello. This game comes by request. The game is Super Breakout. I would expect pretty much everybody to own this game. So lets fire up the 5200, curse the stock controllers, and try to play some Super Breakout.

As much as a fan I am of the stock controller, this is one game I feel the controller does not work well with.

Also, since there are more than 1 type of game, you can participate in any version, or all versions, just when you post, please make sure you specify which game variant you were playing when you got the score.

Competition will end on 5-18-2008

Final High Scores -

Breakout Mode -

BydoEmpire (397)

Cavity Mode -

phuzaxeman (1,361)

MIKE5200 (125)

Doubles Mode -

phuzaxeman (2,471)

CV Gus (2,105)

Progressive Mode - (Used extra balls)

jnice (4,778)

doctorclu (57) Game Mode?????

Edited by roadrunner

I have managed to finish both Double and Cavity several times. I can find out the scores, but- I used the paddle controller I built. Is this cheating, so my scores do not count?

:ponder:

i dont think its cheating. what's your score? i've completed the games in the past too but havent recently.

But wouldn't a paddle controller give me an unfair advantage? With it, I could beat even someone who is better than I am, because, well...it's a paddle controller.

people play on other controllers and play on emulation to better their scores. it's all in the name to get the 5200 competition and system going. me personally, i'd like to see a a huge score from you so it will be something we can all shoot for.

But wouldn't a paddle controller give me an unfair advantage? With it, I could beat even someone who is better than I am, because, well...it's a paddle controller.

people play on other controllers and play on emulation to better their scores. it's all in the name to get the 5200 competition and system going. me personally, i'd like to see a a huge score from you so it will be something we can all shoot for.

I agree with Atari5200 stock controllers suck at this game. I tryied all versions, I like Double and Cavity so far.

I agree with Atari5200 stock controllers suck at this game. I tryied all versions, I like Double and Cavity so far.

they may suck for your but i luv em for this game.... :-)

they may suck for your but i luv em for this game.... :-)

I think it's the game. Probably works better with Paddle controller

Double Breakout: 2105

There's a sneaky, but legal, trick you can try:

When you only have a couple of bricks left, especially no "fast ball" bricks, lose the current turn on purpose. If you are lucky, when both new balls are in play and you get those last bricks, the new wall will appear while one of them is above it- it will trash most of the wall (esp. the fast ball bricks!) before you have much to worry about with the one you are deflecting, and your score will soar since two are in play.

Edited by CV Gus

Double Breakout: 2105

There's a sneaky, but legal, trick you can try:

When you only have a couple of bricks left, especially no "fast ball" bricks, lose the current turn on purpose. If you are lucky, when both new balls are in play and you get those last bricks, the new wall will appear while one of them is above it- it will trash most of the wall (esp. the fast ball bricks!) before you have much to worry about with the one you are deflecting, and your score will soar since two are in play.

great score...probably wont beat that gus...

I think I'll have to participate in this contest. "Progressive" is my favorite variation of the game. I wonder if I can still get 4,000+ on a game like this, with a stock controller.

I think some of the people on here with the paddle modification to their controllers don't realize that it's possible to play Super Breakout well with a regular controller after enough practice...25 years of practice!

Edited by jnice

Years of practice... yeh I understand that one. (Thinking of Bubsy on the Jaguar... only took me three years to master that game)

Well gang, I guess I'm too used to paddle controllers on the Atari 400/800 version. I can play that game for hours, and this one.. well my score is... "57".

(It was "4" on the Dreamcast emulator).

Tried a stock controller... but since I don't normally use that my start keys were corroded enough that I couldn't get the game to start.

Thank you for giving me a chance to see why everyone complains about this game so much, and I really feel sorry for the children that got this as a pack in game when they excitedly got their 5200 at Christmas. While Pac-Man is not one of the better games to play on the 5200, Breakout should have Pac-Man beat.

Edited by doctorclu

I came up with a "4125" score on my first game of the "Progressive" variation of the game last night, but didn't get my camera ready until the screen saver mode came up. I thought that I'd earn a better score if I played more, but it didn't happen.

Yes, I did use "extra balls" (pressing "1" while on ball 5 will give you more, in case someone here didn't know that already). When does this contest end...Saturday night? I'll try to get a better score (and a picture).

Edited by jnice

Improved my score a bit (forgive the poor photography) to 4778 on the "Progressive" variation:

post-4520-1210984193_thumb.jpg

This score earned me a rating of...

post-4520-1210984222_thumb.jpg

...and I used this controller:

post-4520-1210984251_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is an ordinary non-self centering joystick (not a paddle conversion)!

I would've kept going, but I had the dreaded small paddle going and missed the ball. I wonder if I can break 5,000 tonight.

Edited by jnice

• 4 months later...