IGNORED

GTA IV: First Impressions thread

i to did find guns before i should. Near you're first safe house is a go-cart track. There's a gun laying there. Near the bowling at the same attraction park there are monotov cocktails. At the airport where the car park is there's also a shotgun, unterneat the highway.

i just shoot the gas pumps from a distance.

I got the helicopter the other night and it raised some questions.

Didn't Liberty City have a damn? I flew all around the fricking town and didn't see one, also when did Liberty City become so flat? The part of the town with the damn was very hilly.

I keep looking for landmarks and things from Liberty City Stories in this game and so far nothing in this Liberty City looks familiar.

It sounds like LCS (which I haven't played) was based on the Liberty City from GTA3. That city was very loosely based on NYC, but the GTA4 version is much more closely based on NYC. It was obviously a conscious decision.

NYC does have some more hills than are in GTA4, though - they concentrated on the areas that don't. They really didn't go up north in the Bronx, for example, where there are lots of cliffs and gullies and potential offroad areas like that big swath of land in San Andreas. I think, just knowing some of the guys at Rockstar personally, that they mostly concentrated on areas that they personally knew. Obviously it was developed in Scotland but the location scouting and whatnot was done in NYC. Nobody at Rockstar actually lives up in Riverdale or whatever.

ok, now I have another gripe about this game. I decided to look back at the other GTA I own, GTA III, Vice City, and Liberty City Stories. Is it just me or are there like 3x more cops in GTAIV than previous games?? Playing last night was the breaking point where it got really fricking annoying. I accidently run into them when they pull out from a side road, about 80% of the time I jack a car, a cop is magically there even when I look around for one and then I have to get the star level down, previous GTA games you could kill 1 or 2 people without the cops being involved, even in the open, well, not in GTA IV, even in places, like the beach, with no cops around anywhere, I shot 2 people and the cops were storming the beach, wtf. Seriously more annoying than previous GTA games.

ok, now I have another gripe about this game. I decided to look back at the other GTA I own, GTA III, Vice City, and Liberty City Stories. Is it just me or are there like 3x more cops in GTAIV than previous games?? Playing last night was the breaking point where it got really fricking annoying. I accidently run into them when they pull out from a side road, about 80% of the time I jack a car, a cop is magically there even when I look around for one and then I have to get the star level down, previous GTA games you could kill 1 or 2 people without the cops being involved, even in the open, well, not in GTA IV, even in places, like the beach, with no cops around anywhere, I shot 2 people and the cops were storming the beach, wtf. Seriously more annoying than previous GTA games.

At least there are cheats to make up for it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/code/933037.html

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/code/933036.html

Remove wanted level: 267-555-0100

The problem with the cheats is that you have to get the entire number dialed in and accepted without getting hit... if you get hit, you have to take out the phone and start again... I don't mind - I mean they are CHEATS right?

But, I have to agree about the cops - swing the camera around and there isn't a car for as far as you can see - smash a car window and suddenly a cop is pulling up beside you...

It isn't just cops - in many situations on foot or in a car when you rotate the camera, an area that was completely barren when you passed by becomes populated with a bunch of cars... Try this - run down an empty street in the left lane and then do a 180-360 degree turn - you will probably get hit by a car that wasn't there...

It isn't just cops - in many situations on foot or in a car when you rotate the camera, an area that was completely barren when you passed by becomes populated with a bunch of cars... Try this - run down an empty street in the left lane and then do a 180-360 degree turn - you will probably get hit by a car that wasn't there...

This i'm guessing is common with GTA games as LCS does the exact same thing, no cars in site, just go around in a circle and walla, there's cars. same with people like with the sniper rifle, kill them all zoomed, then unzoom, then zoom back out and magically more people appear...funny.

EDIT: by unzoom I mean to actually put the sniper rifle away from the eye for aiming, then re-aim and the people will be back magically.

Edited by Atari5200

First impressions from the first day or so

* the polish on the UI bits is astounding. adding GPS pathing to the map is a bit much, but other things, like press up to zoom out on the map, radiio stations showing up on your HUD when you change 'em, and some other details just seem to reflect a lot of user feedback about previous complaints

* the voice acting might be good, but the accents are kind of broad and clumsy

* similar to what I went through with GTA:SA, when you start writing a character I might give a damn about, it takes me a while to come to terms with all the amoral fun I want to have with this game. Even stuff like driving sloppily! (I start to get worried that the game might start penalizing my guy with high insurance rates or something) As the main characters and supporting cast become more real, and decisions might have a moral weight, the contrast between them and the nameless strangers you can wreck havoc on with relatively little fear of retribution grows more stark.

* this game seems to be the enemy of the completist... previous GTAs it felt like you could exhaust all the media the game had to offer... towards the latter half the radio would be repeats a lot, and every special bulletin was pretty clearly delineated. (Though I heard you'd get better coverage of some of the climatic events on certain radio stations in GTA:SA) But this game... from the TV having all these stations I'd have to just watch (not sure if there's ever a plot element with this), to a cellphone I actually have to manipulate w/ a UI, to the way it seemed set up so that the details of a mission (loan sharks looking in) interrupted the explanation of why the bridges were closed (Terrorist lockdown, cute -- as good as weather warnings, better than GTA SA "you're a marked man" and/or "repair" work) on the radio.

Since then I've come to think the biggest issue is how sometimes you can decide to be merciful, but other times you get forced to kill in order to advance the story...

A quick gripe.

Why is it, when I hail a cab, a message pops up to "press "Y" to enter the cab as a passenger" I go to the rear door, and press "Y" and half the time, I jack the frickin cab instead of getting in as a passenger. If they couldn't fix that shit they should have just faked it and let you pick a spot on the map to warp to and charged you, the way I see, the way it is now, it's broke.

Why is it, when I hail a cab, a message pops up to "press "Y" to enter the cab as a passenger" I go to the rear door, and press "Y" and half the time, I jack the frickin cab instead of getting in as a passenger.

That's was a real pisser for me too. :x I solved it by starting to hold Y down as I was approaching from the back of the cab, thereby giving more time for it to register versus a 'jack'

However I've got to say that the cabs in general are awesome. Roman's driver being the best. :lol:

Yeah vehicles almost always appear behind you from out of nowhere. Especially police who seem to be everywhere. There are certain areas, though, in the game where traffick is guaranteed to be. When you approach the toll for the bridge and just when you exit off the bridge. Pretty much guaranteed backup there.

Yeah vehicles almost always appear behind you from out of nowhere. Especially police who seem to be everywhere.

I had the "magic appearing vehicle" happen to me for the first time last night. Running from the police by the construction zone on the first island, I was hiding, I turned around, no cars, no cars in front, no police in my area, I turned back to go forward and "boom" hit by a car. WTF.

And I'm lowering my score from 8 out of 10, to 7 out of 10. I'm sorry, I understand the concept of the police in this game, but there are way to many, if this game played like Vice City or LCS, then this game would be a close 9.5 out of 10. I'm having a hard time adjusting with the driving, and the sheer amount of cops, it's like you can't do anything, no matter what you do or where you do it, it's like an 80% chance you will get a wanted level.

Also, is it just me or are these missions, at least the early missions boring and repetitive?

Try this for some fun...

Stand outside the safe house ( I am still at the 1st apartment), and call up the cheat for the ammo and armor...

Next, start shooting RPG's at the furthest vehicles. Then watch the map as cop cars and ambulances and helicopters start coming into the area and let them have it when they get into range... you may have to call up the cheat again to reload. When you run out of grenades and the street is full of flames head up the stairs (to your apartment) but turn around and aim at the door with one of your guns and shoot anyone who opens the door. Again - when it gets too hot, make like a coward for your room and quickly save.

When Niko gets back up and goes outside, you will find some surprises... I say surprises because the game is inconsistent in how it handles this situation...

Try this for some fun...

When Niko gets back up and goes outside, you will find some surprises... I say surprises because the game is inconsistent in how it handles this situation...

I don't like to run cheats 'til I've finished the game, what kind of surprises?

Try this for some fun...

I don't like to run cheats 'til I've finished the game, what kind of surprises?

Yeah - I am not using cheats on the missions - I haven't played any missions for over a week! I am having too much fun exploring... maybe I should try and open up more of the city... :ponder:

I said surprises because the game is inconsistent, not because something "fantastic" happens - although I am sure you could use this to get a helicopter early in the game...

Normally, I would expect that my car (if I have one in the parking spot) would be respawned.. and that is all...

What happens on ocassion however, is police vehicles stop or get blown into the parking spot and end up as my own vehicle. I am shooting to try and get a helicopter to crash into the spot...

The inconsistency of the game comes into play in what is left behind after the wave of destruction outside the apartment - usually there are 10-15 different weapons laying around and several cash piles. Sometimes burned out police cars remain, sometimes the police cars are inexplicably whole with no police in sight. Sometimes there are bodies everywhere, but no vehicles...

The car in my parking spot transformed once too - the car was blown to bits in the firefight and then restored after saving - as a different car!

And I'm lowering my score from 8 out of 10, to 7 out of 10. I'm sorry, I understand the concept of the police in this game, but there are way to many, if this game played like Vice City or LCS, then this game would be a close 9.5 out of 10. I'm having a hard time adjusting with the driving, and the sheer amount of cops, it's like you can't do anything, no matter what you do or where you do it, it's like an 80% chance you will get a wanted level.

I've found the game pretty realistic and predictable in this... notice there's often a delay between when you shoot someone and when you get your wanted level. People call 911. (You can call 911 too, btw. It's a feature of the game.)

I rarely get a star for jacking a car. Sometimes I do, but people don't call 911 over that, so it's always when there's a cop actually around.

Bottom line is jacking a car in a really crowded area in the middle of the day is probably going to result in a star because there will be a cop around. That's pretty much like real life in NYC. You've gotta go off on the side streets.

does your wanted level disappear just by saving the game?

It does at the point I am at now - which is very early on... "Concrete Jungle". That is at the safe house BTW... I don't know about at other times...

It saves after you drop Roman off after eating or whatever - I haven't tried to drop him off with a wanted level yet.. (I usually get both of us killed!)

I've went from hating this game, to saying it's OK. I'm still really upset about all the perfect scores from the big reviewers though, I mean not one category about this game, from the music, to the graphics, to the control is perfect....yet when you add them all together they came up with a perfect score somehow.

I find that I get bored really really quick, can't play this for more than 30 minutes.

You'd think they would have fixed the problem with people and cars just appearing out of nowhere. I hope the draw distance has improved. Can you get on a fairly tall building and still see traffic and people moving down there or does everything disappear and it's like you're the last man left alive on the earth?

You'd think they would have fixed the problem with people and cars just appearing out of nowhere. I hope the draw distance has improved. Can you get on a fairly tall building and still see traffic and people moving down there or does everything disappear and it's like you're the last man left alive on the earth?

There are some really tall towers and buildings in the game - on the first island there is one tower you can climb in the middle of a park - you can see the highway in the distance and cars moving on it - but it is like anything else - sometimes you have to wait a few minutes for them to appear.

I don't understand the perfect scores either - it is a great game but is far from perfect.

I don't understand the perfect scores either - it is a great game but is far from perfect.

Agreed.

I lower my score to 8.5 just because of the stupid little glitches that piss me off in the game.

Things like during a mission cop cars randomly and suddenly barreling off the road and blocking your way into a building and just sitting there. I try and jump on top of the car, to get over and past them and I immediately get a wanted level of two stars and suddenly 5 police cars are there and all the cops are all shooting at me.

WTF!!? All I wanted to do was enter the frickin building!!! Stupid ass shit like that brings the game down.