IGNORED

Juno First - Final Version (Atari 2600)

cd-w

• 1 month later...
Yeah... is this in the queue for the big 2009 splurge release fest? :P

Yes it is - I\'m losing track of what is in that queue. I think at least the following are complete?

Also, I think the following are close to completion?

Chris

Edited by cd-w

EDIT: The latest version (RC3) of this game can be found HERE!.

Those of you who have been reading my AA blog will know that I have been developing a game called "Juno First" sporadically over the past two years. I'm happy to say that this game is now essentially complete and just requires some final testing. As a result, I'm posting the latest beta version here and will be very grateful if a few people could try it out and let me know if there are any problems.

post-6563-1210080111_thumb.png

Juno First is intended to be an Atari 2600 port of the arcade game of the same name. Naturally, my 2600 version required some significant simplifications, but I think the main elements are there. The visual style of the game is similar to Beamrider, but it plays quite differently. The awesome sprite graphics were created by Nathan Strum, and the the excellent title music was created by Erik Ehrling (moderntimes99).

The beta version is attached to the bottom of this post (NTSC and PAL60 binaries are included). A manual is also included in the attached text file. The binary versions can be played using the Stella or Z26 emulators, and on real hardware using a Krokodile Cart or Cuttle Cart 2 (use F4 (32K) bank-switching). If you are playing with an emulator, make sure that you enable the Phosphor Mode (Alt-P is Stella or -f for Z26) to avoid excessive flickering. Most people will probably want to play the NTSC binary version unless testing with PAL hardware, in which case the PAL60 binary version should be used (assuming your TV can sync at 60Hz). AtariVox (and SaveKey) devices are supported when playing with real hardware and will store the high score table.

At this point, I don't want to make any big changes to the game, but I will welcome suggestions for improvement. In particular, I'd like to know the following:

1. Is the game too easy, too difficult, or about right?
  2. Are there any features of the game that you find annoying?
  3. Did you find any bugs in the game (especially let me know if you spot any screen rolls, or if any levels cannot be completed)?
  4. Do you have any (small) suggestions for improvements?

Many thanks,

Chris

Wow! This is a fantastic game and I would like to be included on the buy list when this is ready to go.

My recommendation is this - I played the RC2 version of this game and I found the alien fire to be too predictable at the angles of 5:00 and 7:00 which makes it easy. Is there a way to inject some randomness into the direction of alien fire?

Wow! This is a fantastic game and I would like to be included on the buy list when this is ready to go.

My recommendation is this - I played the RC2 version of this game and I found the alien fire to be too predictable at the angles of 5:00 and 7:00 which makes it easy. Is there a way to inject some randomness into the direction of alien fire?

Thanks for your comments. I'm not planning to make any more changes to the game at this point. Later levels of the game include homing bullets that are much more difficult to avoid. Also, the speed of the bullets increases as the game progresses, which has the effect of changing the angle of fire.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

Thanks for your comments. I'm not planning to make any more changes to the game at this point. Later levels of the game include homing bullets that are much more difficult to avoid. Also, the speed of the bullets increases as the game progresses, which has the effect of changing the angle of fire.

Chris

When and how do you plan on releasing this as a cart?

When and how do you plan on releasing this as a cart?

It is going to be released through the AtariAge store soon (at a time determined by Al). It is one of many titles that have recently been completed and are waiting to go into the store (see post #330 above).

Chris

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...