IGNORED

atari portfolio

Thelen

• 4 weeks later...

the layout of the qwerty keyboard is actually designed to slow down your typing. This was done because in the olde days of mechanical typewritters it was possible for people to type faster than the machines could handle and caused them to jam quite often. So by spacing out the most common keystrokes it made typists slow down.

For the most uber typing keyboard you need a DVorak keyboard (those weird looking ones with to pits that you rest your hands in with the keys under your fingers.. if you get what I mean :) )

Just a bit of trivia.. I thought it quite interesting

What you said is true that the Qwerty setup of keys was purposely done to slow down typists to keep the typewriter keys from jamming. However once someone has learned the setup of the keys for Qwerty, you can not switch to Dvorak very easily. It is the faster setup but difficult to switch to if someone has learned Qwerty.

Oh by the way, for those who have Terminator 2: Judgement day, John Connor in the movie uses an Atari Portfolio to break into bank ATMs as well as getting a key from a locked computer cabinet in the movie. I thought it was kind of neat to actually see it in the movie.

What you said is true that the Qwerty setup of keys was purposely done to slow down typists to keep the typewriter keys from jamming. However once someone has learned the setup of the keys for Qwerty, you can not switch to Dvorak very easily. It is the faster setup but difficult to switch to if someone has learned Qwerty.

I just use a DVORTYboard (you can switch from qwerty to dvorak by flipping a switch!)