IGNORED

Atari Portfolio Turns Off ?

MrAtari2600

Alright i wanted this guys portfolio he had badly so I paid him a good $50 for it. I was happy it looked great and he said it worked flawlessly he had it on the screen some words so i took it as. :D horray!

Well unfortunately it wasn't!

I got it home flipped in 3 AA batteries and it turns on to an OS screen in multiple languages(the screen i was showed), when i read the manual and clicked to proceed it turns off.

Oh boy I got jipped? Maybe I didn't I don't know it bugs me having a non working system period This thing is in great physical condition Not a scratch on screen.

Keyboard has NO wear and it looks like new :D

has anybody ever run into an issue like mine? is it solvable?

Im in a rush to school so i posted it in 8 bit computers if i am wrong please move this post.

Darnit im 5 minutes late gotta run!

:D have a nice day everybody!

Alright i wanted this guys portfolio he had badly so I paid him a good $50 for it. I was happy it looked great and he said it worked flawlessly he had it on the screen some words so i took it as. :D horray!

Well unfortunately it wasn't!

I got it home flipped in 3 AA batteries and it turns on to an OS screen in multiple languages(the screen i was showed), when i read the manual and clicked to proceed it turns off.

Oh boy I got jipped? Maybe I didn't I don't know it bugs me having a non working system period This thing is in great physical condition Not a scratch on screen.

Keyboard has NO wear and it looks like new :D

has anybody ever run into an issue like mine? is it solvable?

Im in a rush to school so i posted it in 8 bit computers if i am wrong please move this post.

Darnit im 5 minutes late gotta run!

:D have a nice day everybody!

That's a shame. Well here are a few simplr things to try first:

1. Make sure the 3AA batteries are NEW.

2. Try to do a reset by pressing a paperclip into the reset switsh / slot under the battery cover.

3. Try opening the the portfolio at different positions. The ribbon cable that goes from the LCD to the Main Board can get messed up and cause all kinds of weird things.

Good luck

thanks for the help :D

Heres what happend

Tried new AA's Didn't work

REset it 3 times didn't work

Did open it at different positions

AND

it seems to make the light clicking sound when you adjust contrast but nothing is on screen

I think its that cable IS this fixable?

thanks for the help :D

Heres what happend

Tried new AA's Didn't work

REset it 3 times didn't work

Did open it at different positions

AND

it seems to make the light clicking sound when you adjust contrast but nothing is on screen

I think its that cable IS this fixable?

Yea, it sounds like it. Usually you will get something on the screen after trying various positions. but if you hear key clicks, thats a classic symptom. It is fixable BUT the ribbon cable is actually a mylar cable and it's not easy to solder. You really need someone that has SMD (surface mount device) experience and equipment. The cable can be bought from Best Electronics for under $20.00. I don't think it's on the website but call them. They will also fix your portfolio but I am not sure of the cost.

One more thing. If you take the portfolio apart to fix the cable you may find the hinge assembly or top case has a small crack so you might want to check that out before you order anything from Best incase you need any other parts.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/portfoli.htm