IGNORED

HSC 5 Contest 12 Wavy Navy (UPDATED)

JellE

UPDATE: To eliminate all confusion, I am offering an opportunity to earn up to 16 points on this game. (Supposing you win both the default and advanced contests.) Start off on the default level. Post your scores, and then move on to the advanced level. Be sure you let me know which score is which so you can get proper credit. You will get credit for both levels. (Minimum of 4 points total for this game.) If you choose to only play on the advanced level, I will give you a two point credit for bypassing the default level (and vice versa.)

If this doesn't seem reasonable... let me know. This is the best I could come with due to the difference in the difficulty level, and at least give everyone a fair shot at scoring decent points.

Wavy Navy (Beginner) 12 Ends: 11:30 PM EDT 06/20/2008 Wavy Navy (Advanced) 12 Ends: 11:30 PM EDT 06/20/2008
Player Place Score Points Player Place Score Points
darthkur 1st 13,170 8 darthkur 1st 7,130 8
poobah 2nd 10,460 6 poobah 2nd 6,350 6
mimo 3rd 6,150 4 mimo 3rd 6,190 4
doctorclu 4th 5,610 2 Shannon 4th 4,120 2
Shannon 5th 5,010 2 _Fandal_ 5th 3,950 2
a8isa1 6th 1,960 2 JellE 6th 1,920 2
Goochman HM/P 1,910 2 doctorclu HM/P 1,450 2
JellE HM/P 1,600 2
HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HM/P

HSC Season 5 Scoresheet 2008 HSC Season 5 Contests Final Standing

Player Weeks Won Score 1st thru 13th 14th thru 26th Player Total

_Fandal_ 2 63 Hyperblast
darthkur 16

doctorclu 5 57 Crystal Castles
poobah 12

poobah 1 32 Megamania
mimo 8

dodgers 1 27 Gauntletak
doctorclu 4

Shannon 1 24 Asteroids
Shannon 4

darthkur 2 20 A.E.
a8isa1 4

mimo 0 18 Laser Hawk
Goochman 4

Goochman 0 17 Whistlers Brother
_Fandal_ 4

JellE 0 13 Ollies Follies
JellE 4

jdh 0 12 Wizard of Wor

Deteacher 0 10 Preppie! II

iratanam 1 8 Wavy Navy

a8isa1 0 7

devwebcl 0 3

Bunsen 0 1

Hornpipe2 0 1

krupkaj 0 1

pseudografx 0 1

Edited by JellE

7,530 Rank: Admiral

This was played on the default setting of easy. The harder settings must be used in order to obtain any ranks higher than Admiral. Since there were no game settings specified I an assuming that any or all are applicable. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would like to try the higher setting and become the President. :P

post-10357-1212941278_thumb.jpg

Alright, thanks for the info. In general I'm more than happy to play the excepted default setting so as to keep everything on an even keel (no pun intended). This game is probably on oddity in that it ranks differently based upon difficulty settings.

I did try it a few times on the expert setting and it certainly is a lot more challenging. I have yet to make it past Deckhand status. :pirate:

Alright, thanks for the info. In general I'm more than happy to play the excepted default setting so as to keep everything on an even keel (no pun intended). This game is probably on oddity in that it ranks differently based upon difficulty settings.

I did try it a few times on the expert setting and it certainly is a lot more challenging. I have yet to make it past Deckhand status. :pirate:

I think we are going to have to up the difficulty level to advanced

Two issues:

1) After Admiral, it doesn't get any harder, I could easily play it forever.

2) Score counter only does 4 digits.

Sorry!

-Ken

Make sure you are playing the correct version where the helicopter actually shoots at you - there is a cracked/pre-release version which is alot easier to play - we had this issue last time we ran this one.

Sounds good. I just recently played this game for the first time when it came up in the poll. I don't have a whole lot of information on it. So, I guess advanced would probably be the best...

Okay... I am not sure if this will work or not for the score thing. Before your score rolls over, please take a screenshot of your game. Then take another one when you finish. We will add the two together for the final score, and hopefully this will work.

After looking at the scores from the last time it was played... if the correct version is used, not many even broke 10K. So, if anyone happens to score more than 10K... take a screenshot before you get very far past 10K (or shortly thereafter, it is easy to see where you are at if you get it before it gets to 10,999.)

Edited by JellE

Okay... I am not sure if this will work or not for the score thing. Before your score rolls over, please take a screenshot of your game. Then take another one when you finish. We will add the two together for the final score, and hopefully this will work.

After looking at the scores from the last time it was played... if the correct version is used, not many even broke 10K. So, if anyone happens to score more than 10K... take a screenshot before you get very far past 10K (or shortly thereafter, it is easy to see where you are at if you get it before it gets to 10,999.)

um.. yeah.. just before 10K.. OK.

Oh, I don't have an easy way to take a screenshot but no worries I just scored 1360. I don't think I will be reaching 10K anytime soon. LOL

- Steve Sheppard

p.s. On the third level I can't seem to go any faster forward than the motion of the wave. Is that normal? I thought my joystick was giving me trouble.

I rolled the score the last time this was up in the HSC, and I think that JellE is right about the difficulty. However, I think that it's too much to ask people to post two screenshots. We just need to trust each other.

I mean, it would be ridiculously pathetic to attempt to cheat in a friendly competition like this...

Make sure you are playing the correct version where the helicopter actually shoots at you - there is a cracked/pre-release version which is alot easier to play - we had this issue last time we ran this one.
Oops, I think I have the wrong version. The helicopters haven't started shooting at me and the final score screen eventually displays "Cracked 1983 by the Byte Breaker".

I rolled the score the last time this was up in the HSC, and I think that JellE is right about the difficulty. However, I think that it's too much to ask people to post two screenshots. We just need to trust each other.

I mean, it would be ridiculously pathetic to attempt to cheat in a friendly competition like this...

You are right... screen shots are optional. I am really not all that worried about a screen shot... I know there are a few people that will roll the score... but not too terribly many.

Please confirm the settings we are to use,

I just scored 2030, but that was on the middle difficulty setting on the real thing

4060 on the default setting on my xbox

I might break out the paddles next time :D

As for screen shots, I am playing on a real 800xl, I did try on my xbox, but a-it had issues with the screen missing on the r/h side, b- as much as I love my xbox I love the real thing more.So screen shots will be as/when I remember to sit the camera next to me :D

post-11930-1213093768_thumb.png

Edited by mimo

Okay... screenshots aren't mandatory. (just appreciated :) )

Let's try playing this on the second level (advanced). If it seems like too many people aren't getting very far in advanced, then we will go back to the default level.

UPDATE: Go back to the first post... I made a compromise that should work out for everyone.

Edited by JellE

Try configuration->Video/Skin Configuration->Set Game Screen Size/Position

Press X so you can see the game. Press start until "Current Aspect Ratio Mode" says "Best configuration".

Size the screen so you can see it (right analog trick). They must really push this one to the max cause I had to shrink it down quite a bit just to get it all to fit!!

Edited by Shannon

OK I found a convoluted way of doing screen shots.

I have QMEG Plus OS on my 800XL. I freeze the program. Save a snapshot to RAMdisk. Write the RAMdisk to real disk (ATR actually). Reverse the whole process in Atari800Win Plus. Do my screenshot. LOL!

Yes, it would be easier just to play the game in emulation but I prefer the real thing and I am overjoyed at a chance to use the paddle controllers!

Unfortunately, this does not improve playability. It might even be harder with paddles.

post-9154-1213212017_thumb.png

Beginner level [cough]

-Steve Sheppard

post-9154-1213199075_thumb.png

5,680 Rank: Captain Setting: Advanced

I got a bit better at dodging the multitude of raining death, at least for a while. :D

post-10357-1213292591_thumb.jpg

p.s. On the third level I can't seem to go any faster forward than the motion of the wave. Is that normal? I thought my joystick was giving me trouble.

Yes, that is normal. Makes things a bit more challenging to be certain.

Edited by darthkur

Well, tracked down the correct version of the game from one of Goochman's old posts....

WOW... from insanely easy to maddeningly difficult!

Its not just the helicopters shooting, even the grunt planes are extra evil now!

Manged to still roll over the Beginner level, but only just so

post-7524-1213413654_thumb.png