IGNORED

Dungeon (2600 Release Candidate)

s0c7

I did notice a possible bug -- I found the area that had the Grail (at least in the previous .bin), but the Grail itself was nowhere to be found. Is there something I need to do to trigger it, or...?
Sounds like a bug. Thanks for mentioning it - I'll look into it. My guess is a web graphic was covering it.

EDIT: Also, Excalibur has shown up on Level 1 on multiple occasions, and on one of those, I was able to pull it out of the stone after only 1-2 battles. That seems a little premature to me.
Luck of the draw. You met the prerequisite quickly that time. I'll give it some thought.
  • Like 1

My guess is a web graphic was covering it.

Yup. That's what it was. That should only happen rarely. For the time being if you are in the cave and can't find the Grail try hitting fire when you are in a room with a web until you find it. The webs are probably on their way out anyway. I would rather use the graphic space for something that does something. ;) :evil:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning on this being the 1st release candidate, but I have a feeling it's going to need a little tweaking.

What's new:

Max SP is now 20.

There is now a lake of fire on the bottom level you have to get through to reach the demon. How does one pass safely through hellfire? One needs a dragon's tooth. Where does one get a dragon's tooth? From a dragon of course! Where do dragons live? In hidden chambers behind false walls.

• Like 1

I was planning on this being the 1st release candidate, but I have a feeling it's going to need a little tweaking.

What's new:

Max SP is now 20.

There is now a lake of fire on the bottom level you have to get through to reach the demon. How does one pass safely through hellfire? One needs a dragon's tooth. Where does one get a dragon's tooth? From a dragon of course! Where do dragons live? In hidden chambers behind false walls.

I didnt look at any updates for that game

and now I tried the last version

it is not my kind of games

but wow, am I impressed by the graphics!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playtesting all the version of this game since jump, (and before it became Dungeon) and all I can say is WOW...Thank you for creating SUCH a great game... The 2600 library needs more great games like this... I've even been playing the RC1 and it works perfect as far as I can tell... I cant wait to purchase this on cart... Two questions...

Do you plan on releaseing on cart? AND

Can I be first in line to get one!!!

Thanks again for such an incredible game!!! - D

I've been playtesting all the version of this game since jump, (and before it became Dungeon) and all I can say is WOW...Thank you for creating SUCH a great game... The 2600 library needs more great games like this... I've even been playing the RC1 and it works perfect as far as I can tell... I cant wait to purchase this on cart... Two questions...

Do you plan on releaseing on cart? AND

Can I be first in line to get one!!!

Thanks again for such an incredible game!!! - D

Thanks (to everybody)! I appreciate all the love the game has gotten. :)

The game will eventually be available in AA's store. I would assume you'll be able to get it at least in time for the holidays. DaveD is working on the label right now and from the first draft he showed me it's going to be awesome (if you are unfamiliar with his work - look at my avatar).

• Like 1

In lieu of not playing this on real hardware yet (to see how the PAL colours compare properly), I ran this in Stella. Highly impressed to say the least! Though I agree, the difficulty might need increasing a touch, I was able to beat the game on my third attempt, doing everything bar finding the Holy Grail (it's in there somewhere I'm sure, I just didn't run into the hidden location). Though I guess that is partly what the faerie is for, because you do need to open those chests to gain stuff to survive imo. I'll see how that and the chance of being surprised affects matters as I was playing on BB difficulty.

Btw I actually found the princess on level 2 in my game of completion and headed back to the surface immediately. I liked the look of ??? from her, I guess cos the demon was still alive heh... do you get a special ending if you find everything?! Or are there only two currently (if the princess is still alive or dead)?

How many dragons are there btw? I was searching all over for hidden passages and only found one...

I only have a few suggestions really, I can't see too much wrong with the base mechanics of the game:

1) Any chance of displaying what the player's current experience level is? Maybe alongside the dungeon level you are on. Just nice to know... I think I was about level 7 or 8 by the end of the game.

2) Any chance of displaying what the max HP is currently? So I can tell which heal spell to burn to gain some HP.

3) If there is plenty room left within the 32k ROM, more levels added? Maybe increase to 20 in total...

I was playing on BB difficulty.
AA is a little more difficult. BB appeals to a broader range of people, so I'm leaving the difficulty as is on it.

Btw I actually found the princess on level 2 in my game of completion and headed back to the surface immediately. I liked the look of ??? from her, I guess cos the demon was still alive heh...
Yup... what have you done for me lately...

do you get a special ending if you find everything?! Or are there only two currently (if the princess is still alive or dead)?
Just the two. Graphic space was too limited.

How many dragons are there btw? I was searching all over for hidden passages and only found one...
There is only one dragon. There are 4 hidden passages.

I only have a few suggestions really...
Those would be nice, but odds are no unless I free up some space.
  • Like 1

Fair enough... is most of the space now taken (compared to your earlier post)? Was just working from that. I found three hidden passages, the dragon was in the third of those. Is there any clue displayed or given in game about where to find the cave entrance for the Grail? I was pressing the button quite often in many locations near the bottom and didn't come across it...

Fair enough... is most of the space now taken (compared to your earlier post)? Was just working from that. I found three hidden passages, the dragon was in the third of those. Is there any clue displayed or given in game about where to find the cave entrance for the Grail? I was pressing the button quite often in many locations near the bottom and didn't come across it...

In this case I have RAM limitations, ROM limitations, and since the bulk of it is written in bB, bB limitations. I've pretty much maxed out the RAM & the bB limits. I still have ROM space, but the other 2 prevent it from being utilized.

Like most of the other stuff, the cave entrance is randomly placed at the start of every game. This is what it looks like:

post-6510-1219265389_thumb.png

• Like 1

Reran the game to check something, might have found a bug: the cure heavy wounds option appears when you have damage; that's any amount of damage, not at least six (as per the manual). I confirmed this by starting a game, took one point of damage from fighting a monster and called up the casting menu. Both heal options were available.

• 2 weeks later...

Great game I absolutely love it! And that's the thing I love about consoles with controllers as simple as four directions + 1 button, it's that the games have to be designed in ways that elegantly use that single button and so that game is great because on top of looking good it's very simple to play.

Oh and I featured it here too ;) http://www.homebrewgames.org/?platform=Atari 2600

Edited by A_SN

Thanks! Interesting site. Didn't realize there were so many for the handhelds.

Any update on how the labels look? Just curious, I like the label design of Homebrews also :)
I'll leave it up to Dave as to whether he wants to give any updates on that front. Just keep in mind he's taking his time and trying to make it really nice. Please don't bug him about it. I will say there has been a lot of interest in the artwork. :)
  • Like 1