IGNORED

Which major console has the best downloadable content for classic gamers?

Rhindle The Red

Which of the three major consoles has the best downloadable content for the vintage gamer?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the three major consoles has the best downloadable content for the vintage gamer?

• Microsoft Xbox360
    • Sony PlayStation3
    • Nintendo Wii
    • I can't decide.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So all three consoles have the ability to download both original and classic games. Which of the three do you think is best for someone interested in classic gaming?

Remember, we're focusing on downloadable content of interest to classic gamers only.

Note: as always with these types of polls, any trolling or childish behavior (console-warring) will be deleted.

Well, you need to keep a pretty loose definition of "classic", but I think the Wii is the best in that category. Where else can the legacies of three different companies be combined on one console? Now, if only they could get some Atari or arcade titles on there...

ObOT: Cinematic Titanic kicks arse.

Xbox 360 for sure for the simple reason you can challenge all your friends to high scores. (Robotron, Galaga, Time Pilot, etc.)

The Wii is allright.. but what sucks is they're just straight up emulations. In other words, something we all have on modded Xboxes so it feels like nothing is new.

I didn't vote, because to me it's a pointless question. It depends on what you want.

Simply put, here is the answer:

If you like arcade games, get an XBOX 360

If you like console classics, get a Nintendo Wii

If you like new games with an old school feel, get a Playstation 3

That is the answer.

Xbox 360 for sure for the simple reason you can challenge all your friends to high scores. (Robotron, Galaga, Time Pilot, etc.)

The Wii is allright.. but what sucks is they're just straight up emulations. In other words, something we all have on modded Xboxes so it feels like nothing is new.

What he said. XBOX Live Arcade also has the closest approximation to a real life arcade, where you can challenge strangers to pick-up games. Unfortunately, the lobby on older games is usually empty, which is a drag -- I would like it if XBLA had something like Playstation Home is supposed to offer: a place to wander around, and challenge someone to any game that you both have installed.

The modded XBOX is a pirate solution, like MAME, of course. :) It's a shame that none of the bona fide options come remotely close. :(

The Wii doesn't really have very many "truly classic" games in my opinion, since the oldest thing on the USA store is the NES and SMS. I also think the Wii's Virtual Console is a bit overpriced when you consider the compilation packs (Sega Genesis Collection, SNK Arcade Classics, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, Metal Slug Anthology, etc.), but I can't think of a better way to play Turbo Graphx games legitimately.

PSN is pretty much a complete zero for classic gamers, but the improved lobby for Tekken 5 is a big step forward for arcade-like friendliness. And I guess it's cool to be able to have a worldwide leaderboard for Q*Bert.

I have to say the Wii depending on what the gamer is after. The major problem witht wii is the amount of vc games being release in slowing down in North America due NOA focussing on Wiiware.

The wii dosen't have classic arcade games to download. The classic arcade gamer is better off with a 360.

The vc is bargin depending on what games you are talking about. It is not a bargin for games found in compilation packs.

It is a great bargin for tg-16 games, import games, and other expensive games like Harvest moon.

For me, it the wii. I like imports and tg-16 games.

In a perfect world, I would've like to get a 360 and a wii. I enjoy arcade games. I don't trust the durability of a 360 yet and the price is not cheap enough for me. I am only will to pay up to $125.00 for a new game system. I share the expense of buying a new game console. with another person.

Edited by 8th lutz

I voted for the 360 because of the XBLA Leaderboards and online co-op. I also like some of the "new" classics like Pac Man CE - outside of maybe Gears, it's the best game I've played on my 360. I do like the Wii's TG-16 selection though, it's definitely been fun since I only had a TG-16 for a short time. Nice to see some imports like Sin & Punishment as well. I never thought I'd get to play that one.

Yeah, me too. But the Wii really needs to fix the storage problem. I would buy more stuff if I could run it from the SD card without the hassle of slow copying or the need to re-download.

Nintendo said they are working on storage solution. The article is found at http://kotaku.com/5017088/nintendo-were-wo...torage-solution .

Yeah, me too. But the Wii really needs to fix the storage problem. I would buy more stuff if I could run it from the SD card without the hassle of slow copying or the need to re-download.

Nintendo said they are working on storage solution. The article is found at http://kotaku.com/5017088/nintendo-were-wo...torage-solution .

Yeah, I saw that too, but I'll believe it when I see it. The same asshat also called their core audience "geeks and otakus" in public. :)

Australia just got a software update that breaks the Twilight Princess exploit. MAYBE Nintendo will fix the DRM on the Wii games so we can run our bought content from the SD card. They should be able to digitally sign the downloaded programs and lock them to a particular console. The "S" is for Secure, after all.

If you like arcade games, get an XBOX 360

If you like console classics, get a Nintendo Wii

If you like new games with an old school feel, get a Playstation 3

I agree with that. And, because of this, I'd say the best system for a classic gamer is the PS3. The other two are just dishing up things you've already played for the most part.

While there's not a lot of content on the PS3 (compared to the other two), I'd say there's a high percentage of good stuff there.

I would have to say the Nintendo Wii has the best dl'ed content in the classic sense. They are all good but the Wii has dl's for the NES, SNES, & Turbo Graphix 16. The others, such as the Xbox 360 & PS3 have arcade dl's. The Xbox 360 has some Xbox games & the PS3 has some PSone games.

post-12493-1213901993_thumb.jpg

post-12493-1213902081_thumb.jpg

post-12493-1213902108_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

XBOX 360 has a free program called "Game Room". You can test ATARI 2600 and Colecovision games for free, but

the Arcade Games you cant test, you have to pay for them.

The Emulator is able to save games and you can anytime do a REWIND and go back some seconds or even minutes.

Also there is a international Leaderboard and Challenges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Room_games

game_room-590x330.jpg

Also there are other games on the XBOX market as stand alones, like GALAGA

Game Room has free trials for all their arcade, Intellivision, and Atari 2600 downloads. But for unlimited play, you have to purchase each game ($3 a game, as I recall). Sadly, the Game Room program is fairly buggy, the emulation was far from perfect, and it has been unsupported for several years now.

As for this topic question, I'd say that the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 were pretty well neck to neck in terms of classic arcade content with the Wii behind a bit (Although if one views its many Neo Geo downloads as arcade rather than console content, it's a much closer race).

But for classic console content, Wii has to easily take the crown thanks to the Virtual Console.

Edited by Atariboy

on my 360 game room, the arcade games have no free trial! theres only the option for buying one single game (playing one time), or buying the whole thing.

the rom for atari 2600 adventure has, btw., 64,5 MB :D

the emulation is very good. feels like, its an ATARI 7800 emulation!?