IGNORED

Atari OS and Hardware Manuals - Get them here

Rybags

Numerous times, people have requested the softcopy versions (PDF) of the Atari Operating System and Hardware Manuals.

I have/had them hosted at one of those free sites, but they've changed hands yet again and I can't even logon, let alone tell anyone where to get them.

So, here they are. Maybe people could post other hard to get documentation here as well.

Due to the file upload size limit and filetypes allowed here, I've had to do a bit of creative archiving. Part 4 of the OS manual is rather large, so I split it using WinRAR, then had to Zip each part.

So, to get it, unzip the RARs into a directory then use WinRAR or 7Zip to extract the PDF. The others are simply PDFs within the Zip files, or the PDFs themselves.

OS Manual:

C016555_part1.PDF C016555_part2.zip C016555_part3.zip

C016555_part4.part1.zip C016555_part4.part2.zip C016555_part4.part3.zip C016555_part4.part4.zip

Hardware Manual:

Hardware_part1.PDF Hardware_part2.zip Hardware_part3.zip

I bought the technicial reference notes many years ago they came in a loose binder and had more than a ream of pages. It would have taken quite a while to scan them. Good to have them here as a PDF for all to use. I found them pretty useful back then.

Edited by Tezz

Great, I had been looking for those just yesterday...

I see this is the version I read about, scanned in greyscale, saved as JPEG images and converted to PDF files. No OS listing, though...

What's considered "hard to get documentation" (and what isn't), BTW?

Hard to get - I suppose lots of original stuff since it's got collector status. But luckily most of it seems to be available as scans, PDFs or Docs.

I've got the 810 Field Service Manuals here (PDF) but I don't think I have the 1050 one.

I've got a photocopy of the original OS Source (B), and a PDF scanned version (it's about 6 meg though). Here we go, just found a Zipped text version (use Wordpad):

a800ossrc.zip

Here's the XL OS in HTML pages

XL_OS.zip

OS Rev 5 source

OS_Rev5.zip

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here it is as a PDF file. I've cleaned the scans a bit, but there are some words which are partially faded - that's how I got it from that friend who gave me his 400 and disks, so there's not much I can do, sorry. If someone wants to attempt OCR'ing it, I have the scans available as PNG images, too (size is about the same).

Page 5-2 is missing, it may be where the schematic should go. I believe that schematic I scanned a while ago may be the one corresponding to this manual, although I got it from a different person.

(BTW, what does the message "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file" mean? Got it when I attempted to attach a multi-part RAR file to this post originally...)

(BTW, what does the message "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file" mean? Got it when I attempted to attach a multi-part RAR file to this post originally...)

The forum software tries to only allow certain file types (zip, txt, jpg, gif, apparently rar, others?)... but it doesn't really examine the file contents, only the filename. You can rename anything so it ends in .zip and upload it to this forum, but anyone downloading it will have to rename it to its original "file type" extension.

The trouble you had is that the forum allows filenames ending in .rar, but not in .r01, .r02, etc (so no multipart rars). Actually, I think newer versions of rar call the files "file.part01.rar", "file.part02.rar", etc... so that should be allowed (all parts end in .rar).

Attached to this post is the Sam's ComputerFacts for the Atari 800XL.

This one is pretty hard to find. Finding a paper copy is next impossible anymore.

Hias was kind enough to send this to me when I was looking for one several months ago. I recently scanned the Sam's ComputerFacts for the 1050 disk drive for him as well as Steve from AtariMax.

Anyway, Hias suggested that I post them here in this thread, so next post... =^.^=;;

These are double zipped due to the funky rules regarding attachements here. =o.O=;;

Unzip each of the zip files ending with a number to get the actual parts of the spanned archive. The first part (without a number) is the primary part of the archive and needs the other parts to extract.

BobKat

800XL___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.zip800XL___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.01.zip800XL___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.02.zip800XL___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.03.zip800XL___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.04.zip800XL___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.05.zip800XL___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.06.zip800XL___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.07.zip

• Like 2

That's not working for me (Winzip 9.0)

Unzipped all the numbered parts, but it asks for location of Part 1 when I try to get the PDF from the .zip one.

ed - WinRar was able to make better sense of it - done.

Edited by Rybags

Sam's ComputerFacts for the 1050 Disk Drive.

This one I personally scanned myself and I'm telling you that it was a major pain in the ass and then some. Not only were the actual pages cut at weird angles that were not quite square, but several pages, especially the multi-page ones were also printed slightly crooked.

This caused some minor problems with stiching the pages together. I use Corel PhotoPaint for most of my scanning and touchup work. I find Photoshop to be just way to slow and bloated for what little I use it for.

If anyone here thinks that they can do a better job or has better stitching software that can handle minor page warp please send me a PM and I'll send you a few of my original 600dpi PNG scans to work on. If they come out better I'll build a new PDF and upload the revised edition for all to enjoy.

As I'm a bit of a perfectionist I'm really hoping someone here can get these stitched better that I was able to do. Then I would be a much happier camper as this sucker took nearly four hours to scan due to problems with the large number of multi-page sections it had.

Anyway, same deal as before. These are double-zipped on the parts with numbers due to the funky attachment restrictions here. =^.^=;;

BobKat

Atari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.01.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.02.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.03.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.04.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.05.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.06.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.07.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.08.zippost-2188-1055618758.jpgAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.10.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.12.zip[attach

ment=105636:Atari_10...Facts.13.zip]Atari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.14.zip[a

ttachment=105638:Atari_10...Facts.15.zip]Atari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.16.zipAtari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.17.zip

Atari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.09.zip

Atari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.11.zip

Atari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.13.zip

Atari_1050_Disk_Drive___Sam__s_ComputerFacts.15.zip

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure how it messed up some of the parts of that last post of mine for the Sam's ComputerFacts for the 1050. But it looks like all of them actually there. It just added the ones it messed up to the end of the post. =o.O=;;

Anyway, let me know if there are any problems with that one.

BobKat