IGNORED

New SIO2USB Production run

cas

The SIO2USB Team will make a 3rd production run.

The price is 135 EURO incl. USB-Stick;

Postage for European Union 20 EURO, for all NonEU Countries 30 EURO (payable via

Paypal)

The preorder can be registered on the webpage

http://www.abbuc-raf.de/

(click on the english flag, then select SIO2USB Preorder)

Preorder will be open until 07/13/2008

If you have any questions about the new production run or how to order, please send an E-Mail to the address given on the preorder page, as the SIO2USB team does not monitor this AtariAge thread.

Postage for European Union 20 EURO, for all NonEU Countries 30 EURO (payable via

Paypal)

If you have any questions about the new production run or how to order, please send an E-Mail to the address given on the preorder page, as the SIO2USB team does not monitor this AtariAge thread.

Have all the problems listed in this thread been addressed in the current version of the firmware?

Thanks,

Fish

Paypal)

Have all the problems listed in this thread been addressed in the current version of the firmware?

Thanks,

Fish

They most certainly have been. With my help, those problems have been fixed.

With the latest firmware, more devices now work with it. someone said a USB to SD card adapter works.

personally, the 1GB stick have is large enough :)

James

• 2 weeks later...

New Info about SIO2USB:

Stefan Dorndorf (of QMEG-OS fame) is writing a new Shell Tool for SIO2USB, called YASH

see this Thread in the ABBUC Forum - YASH for details (in german)

yash05a.jpg

YASH has these freatures:

- supports all functions of the original SIO2USB Shell (except STA, CAT and DIR Dx:). It can also navigate Direectories, mount ATRs, create ATRs, delete, copy rename, lock ... ATRs

- simple and fast Directory navigation (with "back to previous" function)

- fast Directory listing (0.5 seconds per page, 1-2 seconds with long filenames)

- long filenames possible (instead of Size, Date and Time)

- intuitive UI (Menue, Text-Entry boxes, good error messages). For example if you press CTRL+C to copy a selected file "Copy" you get a text entry box like this:

yash05b.jpg

SHIFT+RETURN will mount and boot the selected ATR.

Also with the new Firmware now available, some USB Cardreaders are now supported. So if you have SIO2USB and SIO2SD you can use the same SD cards for storing your files and transport them between the two devices. Also if you have an SIO2USB compatible cardreader, every SD or MMC card detected by the reader is likely to work.

Carsten

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a very nice device!

What size is the USB drive which is included?

What is the max size USB it can handel?

I don't use PAYPAL. Is there any other way to pay?

How much is that in US$?

Does it have a user replaceable battery for the real-time clock? What type/part number is it?

Thanks

I have received an answer within some hours from the SIO2USB

manufacturers (sio2usb@abbuc-raf.de). The answer from Thomas Grasel are below:

Seems like a very nice device!

What size is the USB drive which is included?

"We plan to ship a 1GB device, but it depends on the actual offers."

What is the max size USB it can handel?

"The size of the FLASH device is not limited. But a usable limit is given by the FAT16 filesystem for the SIO2USB. If you have a larger device, partition the device and use the

FAT16 partition for the SIO2USB and the PC and the other partition only with the PC."

I don't use PAYPAL. Is there any other way to pay?

"Yes, if you live inside the European union you can py by EU-money transfer. Otherwise no, because the alternative is only a "normal" money transfer to germany. This transfer costs about 30US-$ bank charges and takes several weeks."

How much is that in US$?

"About 250US-$ including shipping and paypal costs without a ABBUC membership."

Does it have a user replaceable battery for the real-time clock? What type/part number is it?

"It is a common used CR2032 lithium battery and it is replaceable."

Best regards

Carsten

Edited by cas

When I got mine, I opted out of the abbuc membership. got it for slightly cheaper :)

So the device can be ordered by a non ABBUC member and without incurring the non member fee?

The preorder site says:

The price for non-ABBUC members is 33 euro higher but the device includes a one-year membership at ABBUC e.V.

That doesn't sound optional. :?:

So the device can be ordered by a non ABBUC member and without incurring the non member fee?

The preorder site says:

The price for non-ABBUC members is 33 euro higher but the device includes a one-year membership at ABBUC e.V.

That doesn't sound optional. :?:

Why you do not aks the developers?

But ok, it is a fault of our webpage which is based on rules for older production runs.

Actucal conditions for non abbuc members:

Pay 5EURO extra with a ABBUC membership or pay 33EURO extra and get a one year ABBUC membership.

If you have more question please send a mail to sio2usb@abbuc-raf.de and remark at only less than 100 hours ordertime left.

Thomas Grasel

(Artax)

One of the SIO2USB developers

Hello guys

Just so one thing is clear:

If you want a SIO2USB, you have to pre-order.

If you want to pre-order, you have to do so no later then next Sunday. (Central European Daylight Savings Time I presume. Which is 6 (six) hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Savings Time in the U.S.A.

Greetings

Mathy (not a member of the developmentteam, but meeting them this weekend at the Fujiama 2008)

When you pre order, be sure to tell them how many you want. I submitted a pre order for the last batch. When I found out the final pricing I thought that I could save a bit of money per unit by ordering two or three and amortizing the shipping and User Group membership fees. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me order more than I had originally pre ordered. I don't really understand why they wouldn't but that was their rule. so be forewarned.

Alternately, if you live near someone who also wants one, order them together under one name to save a little bit.

Bill

I would L O V E to see the SIO2USB being compatible with blackbox.

I have been talking with the support team via e-mail a few months ago, but I did not get the idea they did understand me, or they are not in the position to test sio2usb with blackbox.

Sio2USB is incompatible with the highspeed loader in the blackbox, but even whith the highspeed sio loader disabled it is incompatible.

I just installed the new firmware. And it still has the same problems.

I have three sio2usb's (2nd shipping) and all three devices has the same issues with the black box.

Thanks

Marius

p.s. any other sio device i own does work perfect with blackbox. So please do not respond with 'it is a fault of the blackbox' because it isn't!

• 4 weeks later...
I would L O V E to see the SIO2USB being compatible with blackbox.

I have been talking with the support team via e-mail a few months ago, but I did not get the idea they did understand me, or they are not in the position to test sio2usb with blackbox.

Sio2USB is incompatible with the highspeed loader in the blackbox, but even whith the highspeed sio loader disabled it is incompatible.

I just installed the new firmware. And it still has the same problems.

I have three sio2usb's (2nd shipping) and all three devices has the same issues with the black box.

Thanks

Marius

p.s. any other sio device i own does work perfect with blackbox. So please do not respond with 'it is a fault of the blackbox' because it isn't!

Hallo Marius,

I have worked (=programming) on Friday about 3 hours on Beetles 1450 XLD with Blackbox and my SIO2USB. I have copied data several times between SIO2USB and the Blackbox Harddrive, always with Highspeed. I not have seen any issue or failure. It just worked like a charm. I have used BEWE DOS 1.30 and REAL-DOS 2.4.

Best regards

Carsten

Hallo Marius,

I have worked (=programming) on Friday about 3 hours on Beetles 1450 XLD with Blackbox and my SIO2USB. I have copied data several times between SIO2USB and the Blackbox Harddrive, always with Highspeed. I not have seen any issue or failure. It just worked like a charm. I have used BEWE DOS 1.30 and REAL-DOS 2.4.

Best regards

Carsten

I must test my BlackBox with SIO2USB. Must get my digit out to do so.

Carsten, do both of those dos's have there own highspeed SIO routines? If they do, it could be that the BB routines aren't used except for the Harddrive.

A good test would be to use Mydos.

Just a thought

James

Marius

I have just tested my SIO2USB with my BlackBox loading Yellow dos (dos2 with a different Dup.sys) and it loaded fine at highspeed.

Have also tested writing to sio2usb with the blackbox hs routines with out problems when I was fault finding SIO2USB (16meg in one hit)

So my Blackbox is compatible with SIO2USB.

I cannot think of what is going on with yours.

Are you using a NTSC atari? does it have a PAL antic?

Maybe your pokey isn't quite up to it.

James

Edited by sup8pdct

Hallo Marius,

Best regards

Carsten

It is not a matter of seen, but of listening. When you compare sio2usb load sounds with oter sio devices you will hear that there are definately timing issues in combination with the black box.

I'm using my blackboxes since 1996, never had any problem with any sio device at all. Except now for sio2usb. So don't get your conclusions too soon after your 3 hours work. I did never write it does not work at all, but there ARE problems, which you might not have noticed. I'm owning 4 blackboxes, with different BlackBox-ROMS and all have the same problem. I have three Sio2USB's... they all have the same problem. I have millions of ATR's... well I did not test them all, but enough with all the same issues. Only with Sio2USB and BlackBox. Sorry.

Listen here. That is SIO2USB with BlackBox.

http://www.inspiration-soft.com/Inspiratio...es/01010001.AVI

Listen here: That is SIO2USB with Qmeg

http://www.inspiration-soft.com/Inspiratio...es/01010002.AVI

With blackbox: trrrr trrrr trrrr trrrr trrrrr; this does not sound smooth.

With Qmeg: trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Listen here. This is Sio2SD with BlackBox:

http://www.inspiration-soft.com/Inspiratio...es/01010004.AVI

Listen here. This is Sio2SD With Qmeg:

http://www.inspiration-soft.com/Inspiratio...es/01010003.AVI

With blackbox: trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

With Qmeg: trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You will hear the issues there. You can hear the problem as soon as you compare it with sio2SD, sio2IDE, sio2PC, APE or even a Happy 1050. In the movies I used the probably most simple atr there is: DOS_25.ATR. Used with BlackBox built in HighSpeed Loader. Compare this with sio2SD (also on the site) or Compare it with sio2usb + Qmeg if you like. It sounds completely different.

There are also other problems with sio2usb and blackbox. Updating firmware of sio2usb for instance will not work as long as the blackbox is connected, and there are sometimes timing issues on bigger partitions.

But I'm talking to Erhard Puetz about all the issues. He is tracking down what all these problems are with sio2usb. Till now he already found one problem, so let's wait for more.

Greetz

Marius

For the people who were not able to see the movies...

Compare the two mp3's.

Summary:

Sio2USB has trouble with BlackBox HighSpeed loader. You hear this in the sio sounds. Because of this, it is slower than it should be, and sometimes other problems occur due to this.

The two files:

File 1: SIO2USB (DOS_25.ATR) + BLACKBOX. Listen to the sound. The problem is clear.

File 2: SIO2USB (DOS_25.ATR) + Qmeg. Listen to the sound. No problems here.

Greetz

M.

@CAS:

Are you positive that you used the Standard Atari OS in Beetles computer? this problem happens when you use the HighSpeed Sio driver in BlackBox in combination with Standard Atari OS.

Edited by Marius1976

For the people who were not able to see the movies...

Compare the two mp3's.

Summary:

Sio2USB has trouble with BlackBox HighSpeed loader. You hear this in the sio sounds. Because of this, it is slower than it should be, and sometimes other problems occur due to this.

The two files:

File 1: SIO2USB (DOS_25.ATR) + BLACKBOX. Listen to the sound. The problem is clear.

File 2: SIO2USB (DOS_25.ATR) + Qmeg. Listen to the sound. No problems here.

Greetz

M.

@CAS:

Are you positive that you used the Standard Atari OS in Beetles computer? this problem happens when you use the HighSpeed Sio driver in BlackBox in combination with Standard Atari OS.

Hi Marius,

the sound is really odd. When I did the work at Beetles Blackbox, the sound was normal (like with our QMEG). I have no information what kind of OS is in Beetles BlackBox machine

@Beetle: can you tell us?

Beetle and Erhard will both be at the Games Convention in Leipzig later this month and will probably make a SIO2USB + BlackBox debug session there.

Carsten