IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

I would love to have a native Game Boy/Game Boy Color cart that is the size of a GBA game, so I can put it in a GBA SP and have it not stick out. I don't suppose any of you have come across such a thing?

And yes I know there is an emulator, but that's not good enough. If I'm using something that natively plays Game Boy games, I'd prefer to do it for real. I guess I could get the Game Boy cart linked above, but I'm hoping someone has made a shorter one.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many products out there for old GB games (the fact that there's a USB cart at all in a usually parallel world is a great thing). There's not much of a market for them, so ones that are GBA sized might not even be available. The only thing I can think of is the GBA EZ flash + GB Bridge. I have no idea what the bridge looks like in real life, but the GBA part probably doesn't stick out :P It's a shame that all these GBA carts didn't include some kind of native GB/GBC compatibility (since the original GBA could play those games). I've heard it was because of voltage differences or something, but no clue if that's really the case. Anyway, there's also the Gameboy player for the gamecube, these carts wouldn't stick out of that :D

Would anyone want to go in for a group buy of the Neo Flash for the TG16?

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=107&cat=0&page=1

If you get 10 people the price drops to $109 from $149!

Tried to do that once on here last year, it was like farting in church. I got all kinds of a*hole replies asking if I would be liable if they didn't come through with the product, if I would handle returns if it didn't work, etc. It would be nice for a trusting community to get together and save some money. Alas, it didn't happen.

AX

I would love to have a native Game Boy/Game Boy Color cart that is the size of a GBA game, so I can put it in a GBA SP and have it not stick out. I don't suppose any of you have come across such a thing?

And yes I know there is an emulator, but that's not good enough. If I'm using something that natively plays Game Boy games, I'd prefer to do it for real. I guess I could get the Game Boy cart linked above, but I'm hoping someone has made a shorter one.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many products out there for old GB games (the fact that there's a USB cart at all in a usually parallel world is a great thing). There's not much of a market for them, so ones that are GBA sized might not even be available. The only thing I can think of is the GBA EZ flash + GB Bridge. I have no idea what the bridge looks like in real life, but the GBA part probably doesn't stick out :P It's a shame that all these GBA carts didn't include some kind of native GB/GBC compatibility (since the original GBA could play those games). I've heard it was because of voltage differences or something, but no clue if that's really the case. Anyway, there's also the Gameboy player for the gamecube, these carts wouldn't stick out of that :D

Would anyone want to go in for a group buy of the Neo Flash for the TG16?

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=107&cat=0&page=1

If you get 10 people the price drops to $109 from $149!

Tried to do that once on here last year, it was like farting in church. I got all kinds of a*hole replies asking if I would be liable if they didn't come through with the product, if I would handle returns if it didn't work, etc. It would be nice for a trusting community to get together and save some money. Alas, it didn't happen.

AX

Ugh.. this entered my mind also... glad to hear it is still worth it though!

What are people using for a flash cart on the original Gameboy?

"- For gameboy, there's a new USB flashable card, which is not yet out of stock:

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/copiers/copiers.htm

I've bought many a gadget from that seller so I know he's legit, only problem is Euro to USD conversion kind of sucks, but oh well :P Might be other sellers more local, not sure."

Best GB/GBC card I know of (only in fact, aside from the ubiquitous GB bridge thing which is impossible to find).

I have the USB 64M Flash Carts here in the USA for sale at $45. free shipping in the US

http://gameovary.com/

just send me a PM if interested.

From the Sega forum thought would be good info to copy over here. :

There are now four flash carts for the MD you can buy. Maybe someone ought to do a comparison article on them.

MD-Pro 32 / MD-Pro 64 http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_20&products_id=67 : These differ in the amount of flash - the MD-Pro 32 has 32 Mbits of flash, while the MD-Pro 64 has 64 Mbits of flash. They both have four banks of 32 KBytes of SaveRAM. They can run MD or 32X games up to 32 Mbits, with the MD-Pro 64 handling the 40 Mbit SSF2. They can also handle multiple smaller games with a simple menu for selecting which rom to run. They require a separate programmer to write the flash, said programmer being controlled via the parallel port with power from a USB port.

MegaCart http://products.genny4ever.net/megacart_v1x.html : Has 32 Mbits of flash, but because the first 8 Mbits is used for the code that controls the cart, you can only use 24 Mbits for games (as far as I know... don't have this flash cart). It uses a separate programmer like the MD-Pro, but can also be programmed from the MD using a special CD. Has SaveRAM, but not sure how much.

Neo Myth MD http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=33&cat=0&page=1 : This is perhaps the most flexible flash cart out for the MD. It has 8 MBytes of RAM, 1 Kbits of EEPROM, a YM2413 FM chip, and a socket for a GBA/NDS flash cart. It comes with a 512 Mbit GBA/NDS flash cart which also has 2 Mbits of SaveRAM. You can get other GBA/NDS flash carts (Neo brand only) for more flash space, or even an SD card interface. It is programmed via USB and runs pretty much everything (except VR for the MD and that 10MB MK3 hack), including SMS games. The FM chip on the MD Myth is for SMS games that support FM audio (mostly Japanese games). However, this is also the most expensive flash cart. I do recommend this one if you can save up the money.

Everdrive-MD http://krikzz.com/index.html : The new kid on the block. It has 8 MBytes of flash, 32 KBytes of FeRAM for saves, and an SD card interface. Runs SMS/MD/32X games except for VR-MD and SSF2. While not quite as flexible as the MD Myth, it's a great value, being only $65 shipped. I'll be buying one of these next week. It seems that the flash is split in half - the first half has the "OS" which can read games from the SD card, then burn them to the second half of the flash. That half is then booted in "game" mode, which is why you can't run SSF2. It looks like a nice compromise between price and flexibility.

I am very curious about the Everdrve personally, anyone have any experience?

What are people using for a flash cart on the original Gameboy?

"- For gameboy, there's a new USB flashable card, which is not yet out of stock:

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/copiers/copiers.htm

I've bought many a gadget from that seller so I know he's legit, only problem is Euro to USD conversion kind of sucks, but oh well :P Might be other sellers more local, not sure."

Best GB/GBC card I know of (only in fact, aside from the ubiquitous GB bridge thing which is impossible to find).

I have the USB 64M Flash Carts here in the USA for sale at $45. free shipping in the US

http://gameovary.com/

just send me a PM if interested.

Awesome, it's cool to see this available stateside, I may hit you up for this in the nearby future. Thanks!

There are now four flash carts for the MD you can buy. Maybe someone ought to do a comparison article on them.

MD-Pro 32 / MD-Pro 64 http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_20&products_id=67 : These differ in the amount of flash - the MD-Pro 32 has 32 Mbits of flash, while the MD-Pro 64 has 64 Mbits of flash. They both have four banks of 32 KBytes of SaveRAM. They can run MD or 32X games up to 32 Mbits, with the MD-Pro 64 handling the 40 Mbit SSF2. They can also handle multiple smaller games with a simple menu for selecting which rom to run. They require a separate programmer to write the flash, said programmer being controlled via the parallel port with power from a USB port.

MegaCart http://products.genny4ever.net/megacart_v1x.html : Has 32 Mbits of flash, but because the first 8 Mbits is used for the code that controls the cart, you can only use 24 Mbits for games (as far as I know... don't have this flash cart). It uses a separate programmer like the MD-Pro, but can also be programmed from the MD using a special CD. Has SaveRAM, but not sure how much.

Neo Myth MD http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=33&cat=0&page=1 : This is perhaps the most flexible flash cart out for the MD. It has 8 MBytes of RAM, 1 Kbits of EEPROM, a YM2413 FM chip, and a socket for a GBA/NDS flash cart. It comes with a 512 Mbit GBA/NDS flash cart which also has 2 Mbits of SaveRAM. You can get other GBA/NDS flash carts (Neo brand only) for more flash space, or even an SD card interface. It is programmed via USB and runs pretty much everything (except VR for the MD and that 10MB MK3 hack), including SMS games. The FM chip on the MD Myth is for SMS games that support FM audio (mostly Japanese games). However, this is also the most expensive flash cart. I do recommend this one if you can save up the money.

Everdrive-MD http://krikzz.com/index.html : The new kid on the block. It has 8 MBytes of flash, 32 KBytes of FeRAM for saves, and an SD card interface. Runs SMS/MD/32X games except for VR-MD and SSF2. While not quite as flexible as the MD Myth, it's a great value, being only $65 shipped. I'll be buying one of these next week. It seems that the flash is split in half - the first half has the "OS" which can read games from the SD card, then burn them to the second half of the flash. That half is then booted in "game" mode, which is why you can't run SSF2. It looks like a nice compromise between price and flexibility.

Interesting array of genesis carts there. I was under the impression that the MegaCart specifically excluded saveram (to save on costs or something I guess). Otherwise it would be great to put a bunch of RPGs on a CD and load them on the cart that way :)

I hadn't heard of the last one at all. Looks interesting, especially in using SD cards which is great. I'm pretty terrible cutting up shell cases though... I wish he offered that service for like 5 dollars more so it would look a lot better. There's probably still quite a few crappy sports games that can be butchered to fit the cause I guess :P

Even more interesting is that on his page he lists an N64 cart that he's trying to produce for later sale. That looks pretty spiffy, and it'd be great to have more competition in that arena (the neo cart is the only one in existence that I know of so I was just going to settle on that when I could afford it). A n64 cart that offered SD card access would be great :D

Anyway, getting back to the genesis stuff, hopefully someone can answer this question for me which I haven't gotten any clear info on yet. Is it possible to back up savedata from the Sega CD's storage? I have hypothesized that if you could get that cartridge that copies saves over and then use some cart copier it might be possible, but I don't know. I'm a big fan of backing up my savegames, especially when dealing with RPGs, so this is a concern for me. I have the same question about Turbografx-CD rpgs, though I think it's even less likely, unless these TGE flashcarts have some sort of SRAM storage. Can anyone help me with these questions?

Interesting array of genesis carts there. I was under the impression that the MegaCart specifically excluded saveram (to save on costs or something I guess). Otherwise it would be great to put a bunch of RPGs on a CD and load them on the cart that way :)

I hadn't heard of the last one at all. Looks interesting, especially in using SD cards which is great. I'm pretty terrible cutting up shell cases though... I wish he offered that service for like 5 dollars more so it would look a lot better. There's probably still quite a few crappy sports games that can be butchered to fit the cause I guess :P

Even more interesting is that on his page he lists an N64 cart that he's trying to produce for later sale. That looks pretty spiffy, and it'd be great to have more competition in that arena (the neo cart is the only one in existence that I know of so I was just going to settle on that when I could afford it). A n64 cart that offered SD card access would be great :D

Anyway, getting back to the genesis stuff, hopefully someone can answer this question for me which I haven't gotten any clear info on yet. Is it possible to back up savedata from the Sega CD's storage? I have hypothesized that if you could get that cartridge that copies saves over and then use some cart copier it might be possible, but I don't know. I'm a big fan of backing up my savegames, especially when dealing with RPGs, so this is a concern for me. I have the same question about Turbografx-CD rpgs, though I think it's even less likely, unless these TGE flashcarts have some sort of SRAM storage. Can anyone help me with these questions?

I'm not clear on what it means when the NEO Myth MD cart says "compatible with GBA/SD/NDS/NDS-Lite"? I'm also not exactly sure which adapter supports the SD card in the Neo Myth. Neo2 SD for $69?

I'm not clear on what it means when the NEO Myth MD cart says "compatible with GBA/SD/NDS/NDS-Lite"? I'm also not exactly sure which adapter supports the SD card in the Neo Myth. Neo2 SD for $69?

I believe you use their GBA cart to interface with the Genesis cart.

Yes, you use the GBA flash carts as the storage on the Myth series flash carts. Sucks, but that's how they do it. Still the best cart around.

The Neo2SD is the GBA flash cart you need to use SD cards with the MD myth. Yes, it's way overpriced at $69.

The N64 Myth does have SD support planned (again, through the overprice Neo2SD).

As for Sega CD saves, the Myth MD does support being used as Sega CD save RAM. I'm pretty sure you can back up your saves from the Myth MD cart. I'm not sure if you can copy saves on the console RAM onto the Myth MD. That's not something I've tried.

Also, the Neo PCE cart is supposed to have save memory on it. I'm not sure if that works with CD games. I haven't tried that either.

BTW: While I dock some points for the proprietary storage, Dr. Neo has been great about releasing source code for both the menu on the MD Myth, and the flashing app. There's a great bunch of coders over there writing an enhanced menu, and there's even a Linux version of the programmer app now. So +1 for community support.

Edited by Hatta

Yeah that propriety storage thing is a major drawback. I'd much prefer a Retrousb type solution for the Genesis. Though I've already got the 64M Tototek which works great and the Megacart (which has no SRAM game save support that I can tell).

The Everdrive-MD looks quite promising, but having to Western Union money will probably mean I never get around to that one.

Yeah that propriety storage thing is a major drawback. I'd much prefer a Retrousb type solution for the Genesis. Though I've already got the 64M Tototek which works great and the Megacart (which has no SRAM game save support that I can tell).

The Everdrive-MD looks quite promising, but having to Western Union money will probably mean I never get around to that one.

I've been mailing this guy in he Ukraine. I checked western union and they want a whopping $20 to send $65 so that is out. I asked him if he would take an international money order. waiting to hear back. I have to say that this everdrive cart looks very very nice and it runs master system games too and has a very cool apps plugin thingy that can do all sorts of cool stuff. watch the youtube vids on it. I think this blows away the NeoMD cart and certainly the Tototek MD cart which I do have. seriously this thing looks awesome and worth the extra effort to get it.

btw: I just received my retrozone snes cart and I love love LOVE it. very nice. in the middle of playing soul blazer now and the save feature works without a hitch. I hope retrozone puts out an N64 cart next. right now I am on the fence about the other neo carts aside from the pce128+. I hate that they use those stupid gba carts to hold games and the sd alternative is very pricey. jeez man, I know they do offer good customer service and they really have come through with all the stuff they have been saying they would do over the years but I think the decision to use the gba carts was a really bad one.

I've been mailing this guy in he Ukraine. I checked western union and they want a whopping $20 to send $65 so that is out. I asked him if he would take an international money order. waiting to hear back. I have to say that this everdrive cart looks very very nice and it runs master system games too and has a very cool apps plugin thingy that can do all sorts of cool stuff. watch the youtube vids on it. I think this blows away the NeoMD cart and certainly the Tototek MD cart which I do have. seriously this thing looks awesome and worth the extra effort to get it.

btw: I just received my retrozone snes cart and I love love LOVE it. very nice. in the middle of playing soul blazer now and the save feature works without a hitch. I hope retrozone puts out an N64 cart next. right now I am on the fence about the other neo carts aside from the pce128+. I hate that they use those stupid gba carts to hold games and the sd alternative is very pricey. jeez man, I know they do offer good customer service and they really have come through with all the stuff they have been saying they would do over the years but I think the decision to use the gba carts was a really bad one.

So he only takes western union? That's not great but I guess I can understand, some people don't like paypal. Still, it shouldn't cost money (or at least that much) just to send... money if you ask me, but that's just me :) Anyway, yeah I want to get his cart, it seems awesome, especially since it can play sms games without that hardware attachment. So the only games it can't run are super street fighter and that virtua racing game? I saw a genesis street fighter 2 game at a local store for $4, but not sure if that's the same one. That doesn't bother me too much if there are a few carts that won't work. Like the snes ones won't run super FX games, no big deal for me. Or the n64 cart which is 256 so a few 512 games won't work. It's easy to pick up the few other games that have special hardware or large memory.

I also agree, it's weird to use gba carts for storage. It just... doesn't make sense to use one cart for another, unless they are saying that you get two in one or something. I do want to get their turbografx cart though, it looks really awesome! And the n64 too since it's still the only kid on the block (though I hope they get some competition).

@alaterale: he does not accept paypal because paypal will not do business in the Ukraine apparently. read his website about that he has a link to paypal about it, it sucks but I guess that is what you get with all the fraud on line. he accepts several other forms of payment but wire fees are just too much money. I am hoping he will accept a snail mail international money order. that seems a safe and sane way to do things.

I'll let you guys know how it goes

Or the n64 cart which is 256 so a few 512 games won't work. It's easy to pick up the few other games that have special hardware or large memory.

I also agree, it's weird to use gba carts for storage. It just... doesn't make sense to use one cart for another, unless they are saying that you get two in one or something. I do want to get their turbografx cart though, it looks really awesome! And the n64 too since it's still the only kid on the block (though I hope they get some competition).

The Neo Myth N64 cart comes with a 512 MBit card so you should be able to play everything on it.

Or the n64 cart which is 256 so a few 512 games won't work. It's easy to pick up the few other games that have special hardware or large memory.

The Neo Myth N64 cart comes with a 512 MBit card so you should be able to play everything on it.

Yeah I know, sorry I should have specified that I was talking about the new one in the works that would use USB or SD cards instead of GBA carts :)

@alaterale: he does not accept paypal because paypal will not do business in the Ukraine apparently. read his website about that he has a link to paypal about it, it sucks but I guess that is what you get with all the fraud on line. he accepts several other forms of payment but wire fees are just too much money. I am hoping he will accept a snail mail international money order. that seems a safe and sane way to do things.

I'll be very interested to know how it goes and if you get one how it works out! I the N64 cart just used SD cards instead of an expensive adapter I would buy that in a heartbeat!

I'll be very interested to know how it goes and if you get one how it works out! I the N64 cart just used SD cards instead of an expensive adapter I would buy that in a heartbeat!

The Ukraine guy said it was ok to send a money order although he claimed it was not 'safe'. Not sure why he said that. I intend to send it like a normal letter to someone. I did send him some links to alternatives to paypal.

I'll keep you all posted. My guess is this will take a while with snail mail back and forth between the US and the Ukraine

Well, I'm not sure if my humble little project will rate for the OP's list of multi-carts, but here is an 8-in-1 multi-cart (non-reprogrammable) that I designed for the Mattel Aquarius. As far as I can tell, this is the first multi-cart designed for that system:

multicart_face.jpg

multicart_top.jpg

I wrote a bit about this cartridge in the Intellivision forum, and am accepting orders from any Aquarius owner who might be interested in one.

Well, I'm not sure if my humble little project will rate for the OP's list of multi-carts, but here is an 8-in-1 multi-cart (non-reprogrammable) that I designed for the Mattel Aquarius. As far as I can tell, this is the first multi-cart designed for that system:

post-3819-126949217471_thumb.jpg

post-3819-126949218939_thumb.jpg

I wrote a bit about this cartridge in the Intellivision forum, and am accepting orders from any Aquarius owner who might be interested in one.

Cool, now I just need an Aquarius.

AX

Yes, I can confirm that you can back up SCD saves with the Neo Myth unit. I used the open source programmer released by Madmonkey to do this. I actually had to nudge him to add the feature, but he fixed it up for me the same day. All you have to do is launch the SCD_SRAM.bin that comes included with the latest menu, go to "option" in the SCD bios and copy your saves onto the cart. Then hook the cart up and copy the SRAM back to your computer. Really easy.

You can do the same with the official programmer, but you have to copy the entire 2K SRAM at once. That's both carts and SCD.

I still haven't tried the SRAM function of the PC-E cart, but it does contain SRAM. When I get a chance I'll let you know how it works out.