IGNORED

When did you get your first DVD player?

Rhindle The Red

When did you get your first DVD player?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. When did you get your first DVD player?

• I still haven't taken the plunge.
    • I have no friggin idea!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Before I get into this week's poll, please take a moment and nominate three titles for the upcoming Shodown by following this link. Thanks.

Now, how about this new-fangled technology, DVD? When did you get your first player? What was it? What was the first DVD you owned?

For me, I first bought a DVD player when the Nuon technology was abandoned in 2001 and I picked up a Toshiba N501 for something like $170. I had been watching DVDs on my computer at work already by that point, but the N501 was my first real player.

My first DVD was Michael Nesmith's Elephant Parts.

How about you?

Christmas day, 2001.

it was a good day.

next day, i went and bought my first 5 dvds.

Rocky 1, Rocky 2, Rocky 3, Rocky 4, and *what a shock*, Rocky 5.

i remeber how amazing i thought the menus were, being raised on vhs and all.

Hmmm, my first DVD capable device was an Acer DVD-ROM drive purchased for $150 in 2000. We quickly grew tired of watching DVD's on that small screen, so we bought a PS2 the following year for about $300.

My first (and only) actual DVD player is a SonicBlue DVR4300. Unlike the name implies, it does not have a DVR within. It is a DVD/VHS combo that lacks a lot of good stuff like multi region and progressive scan. I got it in late 2002 for $270. It was worth every penny I paid for it.

Nowdays I generally watch DVD's in 768p on this computer with its 19 inch screen. I have a slew of DVD drives lying about and there's one in each of the three computers.

My first DVD was ... gee, gotta think ... I wanna say it was Scream 3, but I do not remember very well. The one I've had the longest is probably Executive Decision. A lot of them have were lost a while back (Scream 3 was with them), so I find it hard to remember what is what sometimes.

Edited by shadow460

I think it was 2003. Maybe 2004. Before that I just watched DVDs on my computer. I remember vividly that my first DVD was "The Matrix" which I bought to take advantage of the DVD-ROM drive in my new "blue-and-white" Mac G3 I bought in 2000. But we didn't get an actual DVD player to hook to the TV until after our first kid came along, and we realized that DVDs were going to be a part of his life, but watching them on one of our laptops probably was not. :)

I was managing a Suncoast back in '97 & we got quite a discount on the 1st Toshibas. I think I payed something like $299 for it. I bought the 1st dvd we got in shipment. Rock n Roll High School. Those 1st ones came in jewel cases like cds. Still have it. I probably spent about $800 or so on vhs up to that point & last year I unloaded most of my vhs's @ a pawn shop. got 25 cents a piece for them. lol.

Peace

Hi guys:

I think it was the year 2002. I purchase a DVD Player at a store called the National Wholesale Liquidators & I purchase a DVD Player from a small independent corporation called "Classic". It cost $49.99 during a sale & my brother currently owns the unit. It still works fine and used on a daily bases.

Our second DVD Player was from another small corporation called "Apex". I purchase that unit 6 months later at $29.99 at a store called Amazing Savings & eventually gave it to my grandparents. That DVD Player still functions normally as well.

Now, I currently have a Sylvania DVD/VCR Combo in which I acquired it at the National Wholesale Liquidators at $49.99 during the final summer sale date 2 years ago.

Very good deals at the time.

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

I got a DVD-R drive for the computer first ~ 2001. I think it was around $140. The logic being that STB players at the time were still around $400+ and that since I had TV-out could do the same thing under half the price.

First STB type player probably the next year.

Now, I've got 1 standalone STB player which also does Divx, another which is part of a 2in1 with VHS, and a HDD/DVD recorder which also plays Divx.

Still got the DVD-R which I only recently took from the computer, now it's got a Pioneer 215 and 111 DVD-RW drives. The old 108 RW is in my second machine.

So far as DVDs in general go, I think we have the PS2 to thank a lot for the fall in price. Once they came out here, STB players started to plummet in price.

Just waiting for the same to happen to BluRay - one writers and blanks become cost competitive with DVD-Rs, then I'll be grabbing one.

I finally was able to get a DVD player in 2004. Granted it was just a cheap Apex I bought from Wal-Mart. It turned out to be defective and had to be exchanged. My first DVD's were purchased months beforehand on Ebay. An Ozzy Osbourne concert from 82 and Iron Maiden "Live After Death" from a seller in Brazil. Both are pirates officially but were made professionally by some small company down there. It was frustrating having those and not being able to watch them. Oddly enough I did the same thing with CD's back in 1990.

Since then I've acquired multiple other units, including the the DVD/VHS combo I mainly use now, all of which were thrift store or yard sale fodder. Needless to say most have had "issues" or were outright broke. Just this past January I, at long last, secured a DVD-RW drive and installed it into my most "modern" PC.

Edited by darthkur

For me, I first bought a DVD player when the Nuon technology was abandoned in 2001 and I picked up a Toshiba N501 for something like $170. I had been watching DVDs on my computer at work already by that point, but the N501 was my first real player.

How about you?

Nuon Samsung 2000 model. The Nuon sold me on DVD technology. I am not one to jump on a technology unless it really impresses me. With the Nuon games, and watching GALAXY QUEST and seeing the option to watch the movie in Thermian (the alien race dialect) I was VERY impressed!!

Further back in this story, my wife wanted a DVD player. I could care less, but said if the rumored Nuon player came out, we would get our DVD player. It did, so we did. :D

2002. I bought a Go Video DVP-853 player for $90 at Radio Shack. I fixed it so its now region-free. Before I got it, I already had a couple of DVDs from some freebie sites, one about some company's home theatre equipment, the other about some place that can help you grow hair if you are bald. But the first DVD I got after those was UHF.

In January 2000. I took the plunge big-style with a huge Pioneer DV-717. I loved that big champagne colored behemoth. Although it's moved on now, it's feet have found new life on my chipped Xbox.

Like pretty much everyone, my first DVD was the Matrix.

A Sony something-or-other in 1999 which finally crapped out a couple months ago. My first DVD was The Matrix.

:thumbsup: no more rewinding/fast-forwarding! no more tapes getting eaten or worn out! Yay!

:thumbsdown: sitting through animations in between menu selections. They were cool in 1999. They are no longer cool.

My first DVD "player" was my PowerBook G3 which I bought in March 2000. I used the A/V outputs to connect to my TV and bought a USB remote control for it.

We used the setup until Christmas 2002 when we received an actual DVD player.

I believe my first DVD was Dumb and Dumber.

Before I get into this week's poll, please take a moment and nominate three titles for the upcoming Shodown by following this link. Thanks.

Now, how about this new-fangled technology, DVD? When did you get your first player? What was it? What was the first DVD you owned?

How about you?

:D

That was mine as well...Elephant Parts that is, and it was one of the first vhs tapes my parents rented when they rented a vcr back in 1982 along with Let it Be... I actually bought it before I got my $450 pioneer model number 414 with the cool blue light that lights up to let you know you're watching a movie..Love Sunset Sam... :cool: Got it for a Christmas present to myself back in '98 Still have the player and it still works great...

Edited by 82atari5200

1999, if I remember correctly.

I sprung for a Pioneer DVL-919, a combination laserdisc and DVD player.

I was one of the last LD hold-outs, so I wanted a player that could do both.

I still have it. It's an excellent LD player, though DVD player technology has since eclipsed it (no progressive scan, slow loading times, etc.).

The first DVD I bought was The Matrix.

Edited by skunkworx

My first DVD player came in the winter of 2001, and my first DVD, Wild Things. Its a Sony DVD player, and its best days are behind it. Still works, but the load times are extremely slow. And for whatever reason, it doesn't show the special features on the Back to the Future trilogy.

On a side note, I still recall when Wal-Mart locked all there DVD's in a case cause they were considered a "high cost/high theft" item around that time.

I still do not own a DVD player that is just a DVD player. I simply use the PS2 for my DVD needs.

I had a DVD drive in my Bondi Blue iMac, which I bought in 1998-99, if you want to count that... I watched the Bug's Life DVD that came with it. Ya know, I've actually NEVER bought a new DVD movie. I just go to the theater or wait for the movie to hit On Demand cable.

My current computer (PowerBook G4) also has a DVD drive, of course.