IGNORED

BBS on a Stick

bf2k+

Every now and then I read about someone wanting to run a BBS - either here on AA or in my email box or as a feedback on my bbs. Earlier this week I started playing around with setting up a bbs program (BBS:Express 850 v1.0) on the emulator (similar to what I do on my bbs). I put the whole thing on a 500mb USB memory stick (hence the name). It is a complete working BBS - ready for you to copy to your own USB memory stick and run it on a PC. For that matter, it may also run on a real A8 machine but I haven't tested that. It include the Atar ATR files and the PC emulator (a800win 2.5c) that I use here on mine.

It's on my website under the 'FILES' section! - bf.amfband.com

Edited by bf2k+

Every now and then I read about someone wanting to run a BBS - either here on AA or in my email box or as a feedback on my bbs. Earlier this week I started playing around with setting up a bbs program (BBS:Express 850 v1.0) on the emulator (similar to what I do on my bbs). I put the whole thing on a 500mb USB memory stick (hence the name). It is a complete working BBS - ready for you to copy to your own USB memory stick and run it on a PC. For that matter, it may also run on a real A8 machine but I haven't tested that. It include the Atar ATR files and the PC emulator (a800win 2.5c) that I use here on mine.

Oh this is just too cool!

Coming soon! A BBS on a platter!! (a CD) ;)

Thanks. Great timing as I was thinking of looking into starting a BBS soon.

That is awesome. (In a nerd/geek kind of way.)

I wonder, though, how many BBS's can the small Atari Scene support? What are there? Twenty five of you/us left?

><>RedBeard

/* Yeah, I've had a CompuServe and a GE*nie account in my day...

yikes... how old am I? */

oops... left a little DOC file (PDF format) out of the 080702 dist. There's a new one (080703) on website above.

That is awesome. (In a nerd/geek kind of way.)

I wonder, though, how many BBS's can the small Atari Scene support? What are there? Twenty five of you/us left?

><>RedBeard

/* Yeah, I've had a CompuServe and a GE*nie account in my day...

yikes... how old am I? */

Pfft.. The scene is much bigger now than its ever been... ANd its growing on a daily basis..

I have a working disk set of Carina 2.7 somewhere....I had modified it to work with APE and the emulator... I'll try to dig it up...

Hmmm.... I know others have had to modify things to work with the R: handler in the emulator (a800win).

I wonder... is there any documentation anywhere on the Atari800Win R: handler implementation??

I have a working disk set of Carina 2.7 somewhere....I had modified it to work with APE and the emulator... I'll try to dig it up...

Hmmm.... I know others have had to modify things to work with the R: handler in the emulator (a800win).

I wonder... is there any documentation anywhere on the Atari800Win R: handler implementation??

Yeah, it was more of a matter of getting past the modem handling. The R: handler is implemented in the emulator, but the modem commands are not. Neither are the modem responses. You just need to modify Carina to ignore these responses.

• 1 month later...

Next "BBS: on a Stick" is Carina - very nice program.... link above!

Hey...

Would that emulator be able to run PRO too?

Does that R: handler ignore any modem command, like you said?

Or does it respond to the R: lines: DTR, RTS and all that?

Why am i asking this? BBS PRO is doing so called 'events' from time to time, and during that events it can't answer the modem line. So it sends commands and set (or unset) status bits for a while. If that emulator does not respond to that it is not possible to run PRO, and I would love to run PRO on that way.

It saves me a real atari to use.

Marius

Hey...

Would that emulator be able to run PRO too?

Does that R: handler ignore any modem command, like you said?

Or does it respond to the R: lines: DTR, RTS and all that?

Why am i asking this? BBS PRO is doing so called 'events' from time to time, and during that events it can't answer the modem line. So it sends commands and set (or unset) status bits for a while. If that emulator does not respond to that it is not possible to run PRO, and I would love to run PRO on that way.

It saves me a real atari to use.

Marius

Hello??? Marius. Now you know I have been running PRO on that emulator since 1999. :cool:

Currently I am testing Carina on bfbbs.no-ip.com but normally Pro 2.1a runs on it.

I am seeing a whole lot of connects with no logins. I am wondering if Carina has problems with certain terminal programs - I can't imagine unless their Enter/Return char is something besides 13 or 155.

Does anyone remember a BBS software called Nitelite? There used to be a board here in Houston ran by a fellow called Keith Swoboda. Do images of this even exist? I thought it had some kind of joystick port dongle for protection.

I remember it but I don't know where any images are.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

And here I want a wireless router that has the capacity to run a BBS, whether just for those computers accessing it over WiFi - to make it more of a local thing like the local BBSes of old - or others across the net. So far, nobody's built one of those yet!