IGNORED

Informations on TIP & Mode9++ used in Numen

Debro,

the only way to get a colorful true 320 pixel horizontal resolution screen is to use sprite overlays...

Well, kinda :) If you want 320x96 resolution with 32 colors you can mix Graphics 11 (PRIOR=$C0) lines with Graphics 8 (PRIOR=$00). This gives the familiar blank line in between. There are 16 colors all of one brightness (since Graphics 11 is that way), and then if you don't draw a dot, that gives you a background color based on the main color (if you've used Graphics 8 you know what I mean here). Also, each color affects 4 horizontal pixels, so in reality you get 80x96 color resolution, and 320x96 drawing resolution. I tried converting some pictures to this format, and the results didn't look good, at least to me.. but it is possible to be useful with a clever artist, I suppose. You could also regain 320x192 resolution by drawing a second 320x96 screen and bumping it down a line, although this will flicker slightly like the archway demo.

calamari

Can you post a demo picture of that mode - its sounds weird - but fun :)

Okay here you go.. This is not from the emulator, but it is close to what you could expect. I tried converting the lake & archway but they were too ugly. You'd have to do something like that from hand. This image represents the 320x192x32 mode so there are no interlace lines but there would be a slight flicker.

calamari

post-608-1031285679_thumb.png

post-608-1031285680_thumb.png

post-608-1031285681_thumb.png

Wow, good question, let's see what I can remember.

I started off in GW-BASIC around 1987. I got Microsoft QuickBasic Extended 7.0 in 1989. Somewhere in this time I messed with C Robots a bit. In 1994 I started programming in assembly language using A86. I think my first HTML was in '95 or '96. Did some Pirch PIL scripting around here. In 1997 I started messing with 6502 and Atari 5200 programming. A coworker got me interested in esoteric languages in 1999, so I messed with BrainF***, and wrote Numberix in early 2000. I took a C class and also started working on a BF Basic compiler. Also took an ASM class so I became familiar with TASM. Wrote Hanoi Love and Spaghetti in 2001. As far as VB, I've written a few programs with it since 1999, enough to get kinda familar with it. Right now I'm working on 5200BAS and a couple games, and am taking a Data Structures course that is making me remember C again :)

calamari

Okay, I figured out the problem with my programs on the real system. The answer is explained here:

http://www.atariarchives.org/dere/chapt05.php#H5_2

When I added the STA WSYNC (or in 5200BAS, WSYNC=A) the weird artifacts cleared right up.

There were a couple other problems I was concerned with too: In Atari800 the flickering is noticeable and there is a weird black interference line that seems to move around. I'm happy to report that on the real system the flickering is not noticeable at all, and there is no weird line that moves around. :D So the images look great!

I've deleted lake.zip because the 80x192 screen looks better, so I made a new 80x192 version of the lake and put it in with archway.zip. Both remaining zips have been updated with the WSYNC fix and are available for download:

http://www.azstarnet.com/~jeffryj/archway.zip

http://www.azstarnet.com/~jeffryj/toystory.zip

Have fun,

calamari

Calamari,

First guess to what the problems are:

I had problems similar with Atari800 flickering and strange interference line too on my stuff. For mine it was the refresh speed of the monitor - it must be put in a 60hz mode (for NTSC), or it will not match the emulator's atari refresh speed and get out of sync on the screen drawing. (You need to set the vertical sync option on the emulator too, but I could never get version 2.5c to work right even then.) Also it seems to require a bit of luck with your PC setup as to whether it'll work right (video card, proc speed, etc)

Must dash. Want to try your pics out and the Barbarian demo on the sprite topic.... :)

if you give me the source picture i pass it over to fox...

problem could be that the source will be XASM...

hve

OK, Heaven, let's see how this could look in TIP! :D Please pass to fox.

I need to get into XASM anyway, so this will be a good excuse - The latest ATASM has changed how .includes work which I haven't got to work with relative filenames yet ( .folderfile or ..folderfile etc.) :x

It has picked up some nice new features for cart coders though

Thanks,

Chris

:)

Edit: forget the part about relative filenames, that does work...it just does not accept a file name as part of a full path...ie %1 in .bat files won't work.

shtitle.png

Okay I've been tinkering again. I was thinking about how to get more colors with the 320x192 resolution, and I think I'm getting closer.. My new routine mixes 320x96x2 with 80x96x256 to give 320x96x"512". I doubt that it really produces that many colors, but that's what the math shows.

Here is the .zip file: http://www.azstarnet.com/~jeffryj/archway2.zip

I am thinking about mixing the CIF 80x192x256 with a 320x192x2 screen for 320x192x512 but the flicker might be too bad, it's already possible to see a little flicker with this one.

calamari

post-608-1031529335_thumb.png

i have a question,

downloaded the numen demo and firstly,

wow, i crapped my pants and so did a bunch of my friends

who were shocked only by the fact that the age of the hardware

running it is as old as it is.

(and myself for many more reasons)

but i have to ask,

was what i was watching, actual code displaying everything

including the engine and levels, or was i just watchins a large

movie that had been recorded before on another system running

the actual engine and then the recording turned into some movie

format and run on my 8bit (emulator, since i dont have that much ram :P)

thanks for taking the time to read this post, especially if you have answered

it many a time before :)

and before i my harddisk died i had a vector only demo where you could walk around in the 3d scene... so it is not prerendered...

if we would prerender the stuff why should then some of the effects not run at 60 fps??? depacking in realtime of 2600 bytes (VRAM) should be no problem...

hve

Fox and the other Taquart members have been kind enough to let me pass on their color editor for TIP mode and some example source code for displaying the TIP picture (in XASM form).

Their TIP conversion of the space harrier title page has come out pretty good too (check out shtitle.xex)

What nice guys :D

Thanks!

sh_tip.zip

coloreditor.zip

:) we are all brothers and atari maniacs... ;) why the hell are we doing senso 7800 dx, time pilot, numen, all the 2600 homebrews, space harrier, chatting @ atariage?

simple answer...

because we LOVE Atari... even now under infogrames flag... (but the stuntman chick at the games convention in leipzig was not to bad imho... ;))

hve

ps. mental combat for 2600 was featured in PC Action, one of the bigger print pc game magazines in germany...(not yet in the stores...as we are getting the stuff 1-2 weeks before the "normal" consumer...). the limited edition box is brilliant...