IGNORED

Colecovision HSC2 / Game 3B - POPEYE

NOTE: THIS WEEKS GAME HAS ENDED!

POPEYE

post-14567-1216785458.jpg

Game Info

Popeye is a conversion of the arcade action/platform game. As Popeye, you are trying to win Olive Oyl's love! She is at the top of the screen dropping tokens of her love, and you need to collect them before they hit the ground. After you have collected the required number of items, you can move on to the next, more difficult level. There are many obstacles trying to stop you from completing your task, though! Brutus wanders around the screen and is constantly trying to catch you. If you collect a can of spinach, you can temporarily knock him out, otherwise Brutus will knock you out. Other objects such as bottles or birds are also flying around the screen and will cause you to lose one of your lives if you are hit. Each level features a different layout of platforms and ladders, and will have you collecting different items as they float towards the bottom of the screen!

-This game was suggested by: ed1475

-Skill level: 1

HSC Info

-Post your scores in this thread and every couple of days I will update the leaderboard.

-The cutoff for posting scores will be the second Wednesday after the competition begins, at 1:00 A.M. Eastern.

-Use the same skill level as posted so that all the scores will be acurate.

-Please read the Rules and Regulations thread for a thoural description of the HSC rules.

Patch Challenge

If you can think of a good Patch Challenge let me know.

Current High Scores

1st - duncantoml (142,360)

2nd - ed1475 (105,000)

3rd - Shannon (103,530)

4th - darthkur (95,660)

5th - Mister VCS (68,310)

6th - chuckwalla (60,230)

7th - Ikrananka (53,720)

8th - ten-four (47,540)

9th - theking21083 (35,560)

10th- LaserHawk (33,750)

Leaderboard

1st - duncantoml +50

2nd - chuckwalla +43

3rd - LaserHawk +37

4th - darthkur +35

5th - ed1475 +32

6th - Ikrananka +24

7th - Mister VCS +23

8th - 1982VideoGames +19

9th - joeybastard +14

10th- ten-four +13

11th- theking21083 +12

12th- SegaShooters +9

13th- Shannon +5

14th- ladybugz139 +2

Edited by theking21083

I'm not sure what to think. I'd probably have to play the original again but I felt that...

Brutus was smarter and more consistent in the 5200 version.

The music was/is correct.

Popeye doesn't freeze as long when grabbing the spinach.

The colecovision version on the other hand seems to have better falling hearts, notes, HELP letters.

The vulture on level three might be more arcade accurate. It certainly flies a different path.

The collision detection on the thrown bottles is much better, even though it seems limited to the "box" that the sprite is in rather than the actual bottle pixels.

There may be more, but if there is it slips my mind at the moment.

Edited by Shannon