IGNORED

2600 AV Hacks... Worth it? Or do they devaule the system?

Dragon Warrior Jasen

I will admit, I am not an authority on Atari. Until recently, the most Atari experience I had was a 5200 (I think) my roommate had in college. However, over the past couple of years I have sought to increase my video game collection, a lot, and I just added a 2600 to my repertoire. This particular 2600 is, what I think to be, a newer model as its the black non-wood version. I bought it off of a user on GameGavel, and it didn't come with an F-RF adapter which pretty much rendered it useless until I got the adpater in the mail. I got the adapter, hooked it up, and Missile Command fired up in 46" of glory on my LCD TV.

The delay waiting for the F-RF adapter got me thinking about upgrading the Atari to have standard RCA AV connections. I know I have seen it done before by a guy on DigitPress, but before I jumped in to getting the modification done to my 2600 I thought about it's long term value. Does this kind of mod ADD VALUE since it will be able to be used on more TVs without extra components? Does this mod LOWER VALUE since it isn't original? I know the NES Toploader (2.0) tends to fetch a few more dollars when modified for AV Jacks, but then again what is good for one system isn't good for another.

Thoughts?

I anticipate more Atari related posts in the future, as I start to build this collection up in the game room but I have found myself doing FAR more research into this aspect of gaming than others because Atari was never popular with any of the groups of people I grew up with. Generally, it was all Sega so I feel much more comfortable with that aspect of Gaming. I look forward to your responses.

There's a lot of units out there so I wouldn't worry about destroying one, two, or a thousand... If some got lost the damn things might actually be worth more. ;) So put your nicest looking one in a box and keep it intact, and then mod the next six or seven units you have.

Hmmm... I didn't think that it was super rare, and since I see them for pretty low prices generally unboxed (like mine), I think the AV Mod has to get done.

Has anyone else done the AV Mod and been really happy with it? Disappointing?