IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

You're on the way back from a round trip to Sirius, snacking on rehydrated pizza and soda pop when suddenly SPANG! Something has struck your ship! Your ship's hyperspace computer has made an error and miscalculated the return vector. Now you must fight for your ship and you life because it droppoed you off in a field of Asteroids!

Game Information:

This week's game: Atari's Asteroids

Controllers supported: ProLine Joystick, CX-40

Difficulty Switches: n/a

Game Mode: One player expert

Scores may be posted in this thread until December 13th at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

Next week's game will be chosen by popular vote from the following: Joust, Meltdown, Ms Pac Man, and Commando. Simply vote in the poll for next week's game.

Note that the voting system has changed. Each week, the game that got the most votes will be played, but will be dropped from the following week's poll. The second and third place games will roll over to next week's poll, and the last place game will drop out.

Become a member of the 7800 High Score Competition simply by posting a score in this thread.

Current High Scores

1. silver_surfer 99,000

2. Cybergoth 16,030

Shadow's first score of the week:

Member List (post a score to join!)

silver_surfer, keilbaca, Mind Game, birdie3, Cybergoth, jedijeff, video game addict, FireTiger, Mordax, RJ, keitaro

Hints and Tips

From the book:

You can shoot at anything on screen, but you will score more points with a target priority. The following tips can help you preserve your ship and score high:

Fire first at the asteroids closest to your ship.

Then fire at the fastest moving target approaching you.

Fire at the saucers last.

You don't need to move your ship forward to play. you can stay in one place and fire, turning on hyperspace to protect yourself from asteroid collisions. However, learning to move your ship can extend your playing time by three to four ships per game.

Other hints:

Use a CX-40 or a Radica Space Invaders stick. With the CX-40, when the asteroids aren't right on you, rotate toward a target, then use your right hand to tap the fire button and unload.

Try practicing unloading shots by tapping on a solid surface four time in a row as quickly as possible, over and over. This will increase your ability to fire faster in the game. (from Ken Uston's book: Score! Beating the 16 most popular Video Games. Released in 1982)

Edited by shadow460

Yes. Go ahead and post a score for that and I'll update it when I get home.

Games will begin on the cherries board, just like the arcade. I don't remember right off if it has the novice/standard/expert settings--if so, set it to expert and to begin on the cherries board.

Sorry I missed that post last night.

Just make sure to mark the score as Ms Pac Man!

It's a show gone wrong. There's poor Pac-Man, watching his love perform, when suddenly, his enemy Blinky approaches, ties him up and goes after her. Blinky calls his own girlfriend, Sue, and two of his buddies to join the chase. Pac-Man has asked for your help. You must now be the guide and save his true love, Ms. Pac-Man!

Game Information:

This week's game: Namco's Ms. Pac-Man

Controllers supported: ProLine Joystick, CX-40

Difficulty Switches: n/a

Game Mode: One player cherries

Scores may be posted in this thread until December 20th at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

Next week's game will be chosen by popular vote from the following: Joust, Double Dragon, Rampage, and Commando. Simply vote in the poll for next week's game.

Become a member of the 7800 High Score Competition simply by posting a score in this thread.

Current High Scores

1. PacManPlus 171,840

2. jwierer 117,570

3. Almost Rice 110,470

4. Artlover 46,770

5. Cybergoth 14,610

Shadow's first score of the week:

Member List (post a score to join!)

silver_surfer, keilbaca, Mind Game, birdie3, Cybergoth, jedijeff, video game addict, FireTiger, Mordax, RJ, keitaro, Almost Rice, Pac Man Plus, jwierer, Artlover

Stage Directions:

From the book:

Make sure Ms. Pac-Man eats the dots as quickly as she can. Don't let her take the energy pills too early, or she'll lose her only weapon against the ghosts. Wait until they start to gain on her. Then she can tease them toward the pill before she gobbles it up and turns the chase on them.

Remember: Each maze has escape tunnels that lead offstage and back again. They could save her life!

Edited by shadow460

Any emulator is fine in this HSC.

The only stipulation is that the original ROM must be used, i.e. the .bin or .a78 files must be the same as those used in a typical Atari 7800 cartridge.

Most 7800 games have those files available from the AA database, the exceptions being Rampage and Double Dragon. I'm not sure right off if those are available, but they may still carry copyright protection since Activision's still around.

If we do any homebrews, since I will speak to the author first, I'll make sure a ROM is available for use.

Additionally, if you use multicarts, or burn your own carts, that's fine, too, as long as that ROM is the same as what's in a typical cart.

Any emulator is fine in this HSC.

The only stipulation is that the original ROM must be used, i.e. the .bin or .a78 files must be the same as those used in a typical Atari 7800 cartridge.

Great. I'll be switching to emu7800 v0.60. :)

I'm using the bios as found here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49237&hl=

I'm using the rom as found on this site:

mspac.a78 (crc32: 5ec9c910)

Last score for the night, 46770.

EDIT: eww, sorry on the pic. :dunce:

post-2829-1134793001_thumb.jpg

Edited by Artlover