IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

no other takers for playing at Expert difficulty, I assume?

No way.......we don't want to have a cardiac arrest!!!

Plus, I don't think those scores would count.....I'm not sure on the exact specifications of the challenge though, so Atari5200 can chime in on that one.

I tried it in expert today and managed to get to about 155k. In some ways the expert version was easier because it starts fast and stays fast. But then the Pterridactals are released almost immediately by level 20, and, pardon the troll I'm about to talk about... but the lava Troll is a flimsy wrist pansy on the 7800 version. I have played normal and expert on the 7800 Joust and I have YET to see a flyer get pulled into the lava by the lava troll.

I used to think the 7800 version was the best version of Joust ever, but after all this, I have found a serious weakness in this game... the lava troll.

You see, on the 8-bit/5200 version, when things get tight, I would hide out and let the lava troll take out the remaining birds. But on the 7800 I've got flyers all over the place, Pterridactals coming in up to three ever ten seconds, and the lava troll can't pull in a bird if they roosted in their hand and laid on egg on it. I mean, it is really really sad.

Basically the flyer gets Pterridactals to take me out of the action, and I had the neutral lava trolls as kinda an advantage on most versions of Joust. But no such love on the 7800 version.

That and the P'terridactals generally come out on the side and level of the screen where you are, and bam! One life gone.

I have reached 190K on the 7800 Joust, and after much cursing and one destroyed Flashback 2 joystick, I think that will be my contribution for the 7800 side. Blame it on a troll.. the lava troll.

Edited by doctorclu

Haven't played in a long time. I was doing very badly at the beginning, then I started getting extra lives, then wave 13 wiped me out. Lost my last guy at the beginning of wave 14. I don't know if it got harder or I just lost my groove.

I didn't actually get killed by a single Pterry, the one time that I got broadsided by one I got lucky and killed him instead. But evading those things certainly doesn't help your efforts against the buzzards.

post-5182-1204331381_thumb.png

87,700 (default difficulty)

I'll try to play again later, this was just a first game.

I have played normal and expert on the 7800 Joust and I have YET to see a flyer get pulled into the lava by the lava troll.

I had that happen once in this game, but I agree it's extremely rare. The flyer has to be heading towards the lava with dramatic momentum when they get grabbed. But even with that condition, 90% of the time they still don't get pulled in.

Edited by gdement

Finally broke through 100k, then I hit an egg wave which really helped pump up the score. I used MESS this time, as Prosystem's sound doesn't work. I have the real game but I can't find the hookups for my Atari.

post-5182-1204366009_thumb.png

I had 10 seconds of superhuman awesomeness (ie luck) in this game, made me wish I had a tape of it. This game is certainly exciting.

===

Note to all the 7800 faithful: This contest isn't over yet! It doesn't end until March 9th, so get your scores in!

Edited by gdement

I'm no good at this game but my brother asked me to help out when I discovered the 5200 hordes were ahead; I had to contribute. Pretty lame score but it was fun playing again. 39.050.

Fun is what it's all about. Your score isn't lame - lame would be not posting it. :)

I'm no good at this game but my brother asked me to help out when I discovered the 5200 hordes were ahead; I had to contribute. Pretty lame score but it was fun playing again. 39.050.

Fun is what it's all about. Your score isn't lame - lame would be not posting it. :)

I agree with what is said here. Thanks for posting!

Yeah, the pterrys occur regularly. Most difficult, as killing them is kind of a crapshoot. I'll get on a roll sometimes and wipe them out though. The problem with the later pterry levels is that another pterry joins right away, rather than if you're lagging it on the level.

This seems to be the best score the Pterry's want me to have. I have gotten this score 3 times and cannot beat the first (I assume there are more) Pterry wave.

Contest is over. I updated my main post on the 5200 HSC if you want to see the scoring broken down by team and players, as for the official results of who won....

Atari 5200 with 1,139,700 total points.

Atari 7800 with 962,700 total points.

Congrats to the 5200 HSC, good round all around though guys.

Contest is over. I updated my main post on the 5200 HSC if you want to see the scoring broken down by team and players, as for the official results of who won....

Atari 5200 with 1,139,700 total points.

Atari 7800 with 962,700 total points.

Congrats to the 5200 HSC, good round all around though guys.

Nice combined scores for everyone. You know who couldn't score that well? Jaguar players in PacMania. And 8-bit players. Especially 8-bit players. They're the worst. I won't even start on the NES players. What's a score of flicker, flicker, flash, flash worth anyway?

Edited by Atarifever

I won't even start on the NES players. What's a score of flicker, flicker, flash, flash worth anyway?

And that's if they can read their score through the screen rot... :)

So, is the 7800 HSC on hold until April? I might start participating if I have the game. I only have 26 games in my collection, but I'm hoping to add more.

Everyone likes a good game of hockey now and then......let's hit the ice in Hat Trick.

Suggested by: doctorclu

Final High Scores -

HammR25 - 25 goals

aftermac - 17 goals

atomickneedrop - 17 goals

Current Standings:

1. PressureCooker2600 [+66]

2. atomickneedrop [+43]

3. shadow460 [+31]

4. doctorclu [+29]

5. LarcenTyler [+27]

6. Atarifever [+21]

7. mimo [+19]

8. Elerach [+18]

9. gdement [+10]

10. Artlover [+9]

11. Dauber [+5]

Edited by roadrunner

Looks like 30 would be a perfect score but not really possible. Getting the puck from the bottom takes 4 seconds to score so if you got every puck from the bottom you could get in 30 goals. The quickest I can score after getting the puck from the top is 5 seconds. I'd be really surprised if anyone ever got over 26 since 27 or greater would be scoring in under 4.5 seconds on average for every shot.

• 2 weeks later...

You heard it right!!! It's a smackdown, dragdown, fight to the finish for all systems. No one shall be spared. Who will win? No one knows.......Do you have what it takes to make your system the king of AtariAge? Make those other systems and their fanboys run crying into the night, clinging to their favorite blankie.

Bring on Ms. Pac-Man!

Final High Scores -

Shannon - 91,430

HammR25 - 64,880

atomickneedrop - 64,140

gdement - 51,800

toymailman - 44,180

hrecker - 39,300

Atarifever - 29,000

aftermac - 26,420

doctorclu - 9,480

Edited by roadrunner