IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

No score, just a depressing story.

Back in the days, nearly 20 years ago, 7800 Ms.PacMan was my favorite and the only one where I had ever made it to the 4th maze. I've been playing for several days now, and seem to totaly suck. I've yet yo get past the first random fruit after banana stage. By best score as of late is still less then half of the next highest. Tho to be honest, even in the old days I don't recall getting anything more then the 80,000 range.

Ah well, so long as so no one bumps me out of 3rd, it's all good.

I usually play starting at Banana and can usually get 180,000 from there. Starting at Cherry, the way I play seems to be different and I keep getting killed on the 3rd maze and get only about 100,000. I had been able to get to the 5th maze. On a very good day, the 6th maze is possible. I started playing Ms Pacman on the cabinet they put into my mom's convenient store. I like the arcade controls. This is where I think people may have an advantage. I still dont know how Jeff can get 112,740 on a keyboard. I am getting my scores using an Epyx 500xj. Also, I dont post scores lower than a previous higher score.

Art, how are you playing(console or emulator) and what controls are you using.

In the old days when my reaction times were better, I could easily get 200,000.

I have included my last attempt. I lost 3 in one maze alone. Also included is my high scores for Cherries where I am just hitting a brick wall past 100,000.

post-7833-1134950796_thumb.jpg

post-7833-1134950903_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice

Art, how are you playing(console or emulator) and what controls are you using.

Emu & keyboard. I'd probably do better on a real 7800 with CX24 prolines. Not digging it out of storage for this however. ;)

Ah well, so long as so no one bumps me out of 3rd, it's all good.

Ok - My score: 171,840

985078[/snapback]

Damn it to hell. :P

and I think there might be some issues with that joystick and 4-way games... :ponder:  :arrow:  :P

985078[/snapback]

Really, I was considering picking up a FB2 just to get the new joysticks. Some of my old atari joysticks have seen better days. I currently use the 500xj but they are a bit bigger than my hand making hard to grip.

Hi:

Ok - My score: 171,840  Starting from Cherry.  I think I could have done better, but my regular CX-40 died in the middle of the game and I had to switch to the FBII joystick...  and I think there might be some issues with that joystick and 4-way games... :ponder:  :arrow:  :P

985078[/snapback]

Uggh... there is no way I am going to get past 171K.

Up to 117,570. Fired it up on the 7800 but realized my joysticks are too loose. Keyboard works better (unfortunately).

-Jeff

post-5778-1134969882_thumb.jpg

and I think there might be some issues with that joystick and 4-way games... :ponder:  :arrow:  :P

985078[/snapback]

Really, I was considering picking up a FB2 just to get the new joysticks. Some of my old atari joysticks have seen better days. I currently use the 500xj but they are a bit bigger than my hand making hard to grip.

985182[/snapback]

The issues with the FB2 joysticks might hold you up from games like this, but IMO they are still a very worthy investment.

If we get Joust next week, you'll quickly see why.

If your ProLines are too loose, you can make a "washer" to go in between the clear plastic plate and the springy foam junk that centers them. That'll tighten up the stick. It's easy to get it too tight, though, or to make it register when it's not being pressed. You'll have to make a disc out of cardboard, cut out the middle of it, and stick it in there. After that, to adjust it, simply smash down or cut out parts of the disc you made.

Besides, the FB2 is a decent way to tote around a few 2600 games without having to carry a multicart or a box full of games.

985078[/snapback]

985182[/snapback]

I was just joking about the joysticks (that's why I put the :P there) - you know "It can't be because my playing got worse - it has to be the joysticks" :)

The FBII joysticks are actually *very* nice. I actually bought an extra FBII (REV A.) just to have the spare joysticks handy. Like shadow460 said, they are a worthy investment. :)

Bob

It's time for the final showdown. You face your opponent head to head, you charge, and you win. Now you've won the right to face the Buzzard Riders, the legendary champoins! they give you no time to rest. Saddle up your ostrich and prepare to Joust!

Game Information:

This week's game: Williams Electronics's Joust.

Controllers supported: ProLine Joystick, CX-40

Difficulty Switches: n/a

Game Mode: One player expert

Scores may be posted in this thread until December 27th at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

Next week's game will be chosen by popular vote from the following: Meltdown, Double Dragon, Tower Toppler, and Commando. Simply vote in the poll for next week's game.

Become a member of the 7800 High Score Competition simply by posting a score in this thread.

Current High Scores

1. jwierer 140,600

2. Almost Rice 77,400

3. doctorclu 73,400

4. Artlover 30,550

Shadow's first score of the week:

Member List (post a score to join!)

silver_surfer, keilbaca, Mind Game, birdie3, Cybergoth, jedijeff, video game addict, FireTiger, Mordax, RJ, keitaro, Almost Rice, Pac Man Plus, jwierer, Artlover, doctorclu

The Knight's Code:

Try not to take too long to clear each wave. Doing so results in an attack by the pterodactyl.

You can kill the pterodactyl by sticking your lance into its mouth, but it's not easy.

Try to remain close to any spawnpoint when each level begins. You can unseat one or two enemies when they spawn this way.

Watch what levels of the screen the Buzzard Riders are on. Try to clear each level before dropping to the next one.

When you're on the top level, don't get too close to the top of the screen. It's easy to bounce off of it and lose a joust by dropping too low.

Edited by shadow460

Hi there!

Oh cool!  How long is this contest going on?   Joust is my favorite game on the 7800.

Scores may be posted in this thread until December 27th at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

BTW: I'm not playing this week. Expert sucks. Even worse when playing a game for the first time.

Greetings,

Manuel

I don't know what's going on here, but I can't edit the first post anymore. That puts a cramp in things.

Scores are as follows:

1. Almost Rice 77,400

2. Artlover 30550

If I have to, I'll make a post each day with updated scores. One way or another, this HSC will be available for everyone.

Edited by shadow460

I don't know what's going on here, but I can't edit the first post anymore.  That puts a cramp in things.

987242[/snapback]

Looks like I can not modify my posts either.

But I can modify my new one.... Maybe someone put a time limit on modifying posts.

Edited by Almost Rice