IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

It's the final round of the intergalactic Olympic games. Gold is on the line for Sol 3(Earth), and you're competing against the team from Polaris 6. This round is one on one, and the stakes are higher than ever before. Prove your skill! Prove your endurance! The only thing you can't be is pokey or slow! Get out there and show the universe that you are the ultimate Ballblazer!

Game Information:

This week's game: Lucas Arts's Ballblazer.

Controllers supported: ProLine Joystick, Atari joypad, CX-40

Difficulty Switches: n/a

Game Mode: One player versus Droid 4 staring with 6:00 on the clock.

Scores may be posted in this thread until December January 10th at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

Due to a tie in the voting, next week's game will be Donkey Kong, and a different poll is posted this week. Start practicing now!

NOTE: Your score this week will have two parts. Post the game's final score and the remaining time. In the case the player wins with a shutout, the player with the most remaining time will be placed higher on the scoreboard.

Become a member of the 7800 High Score Competition simply by posting a score in this thread.

Current High Scores

1. Almost Rice 10 - 0 with 5:23.0 on the clock

2. Artlover 10 - 0 with 4:16.8

3. Cybergoth 10 - 0 with 2:52.6

Shadow's first score of the week:

Shutout, my favor, with 4:20.5 remaining.

Member List (post a score to join!)

silver_surfer, keilbaca, Mind Game, birdie3, Cybergoth, jedijeff, video game addict, FireTiger, Mordax, RJ, keitaro, Almost Rice, Pac Man Plus, jwierer, Artlover

More Laws of the Game:

Try to score early on before the goalbeams shrink.

Over the Horizon shots will be more effective if you shoot just before the goalbeams dissapear over the horizon.

If you're too close in for the higher scoring OTH shot, blast yourself backward and catch the ball on the rebound.

To shake an enemy that's close behind, shoot the ball. The force of the shot will propel the opponent backward while shooting the ball forward where you can get it first.

To block shots, get between the ball and the goal. Soccer 101 here.

Practice your shots by shooting at the boundary just outside the goalbeams. This keeps you from having to go through the scoring sequence and steal the ball, but you won't get any points this way.

To teal the ball, get in close where the buzz is loudest, and blast the ball as far away as possible.

Listen for the snap as your player rotates to avoid becoming disoriented.

Oh, and keep moving. Even in the ancient game of football, no team ever scored by sitting still.

Edited by shadow460

Hi there!

I did not think there was difficulty settings.  You have droid 1-9

Yup, we're playing Droid 4. The poll is generally concerning the whole 7800 HSC I think :)

Greetings,

Manuel

993710[/snapback]

Yeah, the poll is for future HSC games.

5:23.0

The trick in scoring on Droid 4 is timing. Get the ball first and at full stride. If done right, it only takes 5 secs per 2 point shot. 3pt and 1pt take too long to line up. Theoretically and with a little luck, it should only take 25secs. to beat Droid 4. Also, playing any defense will kill the time.

This is one of the games that I think would benefit from an online version like M.U.L.E.

post-7833-1136704179_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice

Hi there!

Difficulty selection was ok, this time it's the game that sucks... :lol:

(You'd really expect more from a Lucasarts game, no?)

Are you saying what I think you're saying about BALLBLAZER?

If you understood that it sucks, than that's what I said, yes. It's like a 1-on-1 soccer game without goalkeepers. That's all, end of story. Entertainment value for roughly 15 minutes. Guess back in the day the GFX was all the rage, but if it ever was considered a good game it must've aged extreme poorly :P

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Difficulty selection was ok, this time it's the game that sucks... :lol:

(You'd really expect more from a Lucasarts game, no?)

Are you saying what I think you're saying about BALLBLAZER?

If you understood that it sucks, than that's what I said, yes.

996457[/snapback]

Blasphemy. You should be flogged with a cat 'o nine tails made from 7800 power cords and thrown out of the 7800 HSC. :P

On an unrelated note, thank you to who ever broke the tie vote. :cool:

Hi there!

If you understood that it sucks, than that's what I said, yes.

Blasphemy. You should be flogged with a cat 'o nine tails made from 7800 power cords and thrown out of the 7800 HSC. :P

Hehe... :lol:

I remember trying the C64 version back in the day, didn't work for me either. Guess it's too sports for me ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

I apologize for not getting the scores updated yesterday. A combination lightning/snow (yes, I said snow) storm was giving us momentary blackouts, so I shut down the computer rather than risking it getting lightning damage.

The UPS battery isn't as strong as it used to be, and I also don't want to risk a power loss if I can avoid it.

Also, next week, I want to go ahead and vote on a game, then run DK Jr the week after, just to keep things diverse.

Hey, Zylon, you gonna enter the HSC?

Edited by shadow460

That ape is at it again. This time he's taken the prettiest girl in town and run off with her to the top of an unfinished factory. Guide Mario through the maze of ladders and beams and past the flying products. Dodge barrels and fireballs to rescue your girlfriend from Donkey Kong!

Game Information:

This week's game: Nintendo's Donkey Kong.

Controllers supported: ProLine Joystick, Atari joypad, CX-40

Difficulty Switches: n/a

Game Mode: One player standard

Scores may be posted in this thread until January 17th at approximately 10 PM Central Time.

Due to a tie in the voting, we will run Donkey Kong Junior from Jan 24 to Jan 31.

For next week we will vote between Impossible Mission, Ninja Golf, Ace of Aces, and Dark Chambers.

Note: Impossible Mission may be played with the "possible" version if it is chosen. If you have access to that, please let us know.

Become a member of the 7800 High Score Competition simply by posting a score in this thread.

Current High Scores

1. hanglyman 67,500

2. jwierer 63,500

3. Almost Rice 55,800

4. Cybergoth 53,500

5. Artlover 32,000

Shadow's first score of the week:

To be Scored

Member List (post a score to join!)

silver_surfer, keilbaca, Mind Game, birdie3, Cybergoth, jedijeff, video game addict, FireTiger, Mordax, RJ, keitaro, Almost Rice, Pac Man Plus, jwierer, Artlover, hanglyman, Zylon Bane (?)

Carpenter Safety Tips:

Keep an eye out for which way the barrels fall down the ladders, and don't get trapped.

There's a sweet spot for use with every hammer in the game. Try to stand so that Mario swings the hammer over the platform above him and over a nearby ladder. This will cause the hammer to strike nearly every barrel that comes close.

In the second stage, there are several safe spots on the top level where the springs can't hit Mario. Use them to your advantage.

In the third stage, approach the hammer so that you can carry it to the middle of the screen. It's easier to destroy the fireballs there.

If you use the Radica Space Invaders stick, try holding the joystick with your right hand and pushing the jump button with your left. This is the same as crossing your hands over when playing the arcade machine.

Edited by shadow460